Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

headlamp

VAspeedgoat

I was looking for a new headlamp and had some questions. It will be used for hiking and hunting but the emphasis will be on my mule deer hunt this fall. Deer hunting at home I can often get by without any light when going in because of trails or repetition over the years. Will I need a red or green led to not spook mule deer? Also what brands or features do you reccommend. I would like to get something moderately priced if possible. Thanks

Find one that has a power button that will not be easy to get pushed when stuffed into a backpack. After that all are about the same......

I have used many different brands over the years including some of the expensive ones. For the past 3 years I have used an Energizer brand from Wal Mart. Very happy with it. 3 settings for the white lens and one for the red lens.

i like the "cheap" princeton ones you can find for around $20. i must have a red LED, spooked to many deer with white light and walked within feet of bunches with red light on. i buy the expensive batteries load then before first hunt of year and that head lamp lasts all season easily (sep-jan) and some camping. just make sure you can work switch with gloves on and can go from off to red.

Black Diamond Storm or Spot. I use the Spot mainly because it is smaller/lighter and has a super low setting that's good for walking, eating, being around camp. It has a lock so can't be turned on in pack. Has great battery life. Easy controls. Has the red light option, but I never use it. It's plenty bright on high setting. Around $40.

I use one made by browning. It clips on the bill of your cap, is hinged so you can tip it, and runs on one triple a battery. Has green and white light.

+1 What F-250 said above.........

[QUOTE]I have used many different brands over the years including some of the expensive ones. For the past 3 years I have used an Energizer brand from Wal Mart. Very happy with it. 3 settings for the white lens and one for the red lens. [/QUOTE]

My wife and daughter just each used the Energizer clip light during a night 5K.
2AAA batteries included for $15 at HD
-----------------------------------------------------
10Dogs

Find one that has a power button that will not be easy to get pushed when stuffed into a backpack. After that all are about the same......
This! My other consideration is that I like to keep everything I pack with me on the same battery size. I don't want to have to pack three different types of batteries. My InReach and GPS run on AAs so I prefer a headlamp that takes AAs.

I use rechargable AA&AAA batteries in lamp,camera,GPS,rangefinder,etc..
I use a Tikka w/green lense for hiking /stealth and Cabellas Outfitter for light and map reading,etc..

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back