HB 505 - Elk Need Your Help

I know there is still some possibility that this could get brought back to action, but you all need to think about what you accomplished with your commitment and advocacy. You tabled a bill requested by the Department (Governor) to be brought forth by the Speaker of the House.

When the deck is stacked against you like that, the outcome is usually different. You folks deserve a ton of praise for the emails, the calls, the personal visits, etc.

I suspect the Speaker and the Governor are not pleased to have been presented a bill with so many holes in it as this one had. They rely on agencies to give them ideas that will pass and further their agenda. Rushed bills, such as this one, do not accomplish that objective and cause a lot of political capital to be wasted.

Thanks to all of you who did this work. If I could buy you all a beer, I would order double rounds for all of you.

Vigilance is paramount. Thanking those committee members who voted to table this bill is mandatory.

The best comment was Hinkle who basically said -hey, let's approve because, after all it might get killed in the Senate committee. I mean, WTF! Your job isn't to just punt serious issues to the other hall and let them figure it out.
I also noticed Chair Fitzgerald's reaction to Rep Reksten voting 'no'. Maybe he was just doing the math, but either way, she will be getting a special Thank You email from me.

My link cut out right then and I was left wondering
I'm on a Zoom call and streaming multiple videos simultaneously puts too heavy of a load on the gerbils that power the Century Link internet south of town.
Thank everyone for explaining what happened. I decided to watch it at the gym and it kept cutting out for me as well. At first I was pissed about the gym wifi, but then put it together that there were too many of them damn HT bastages screwing up my feed. :mad::D

Nine thank you notes will be going out tonight.

I think Randy deserves a pretty big thank you for the platform he provides all sportsmen/women to keep us all informed and up to speed on these issues. Its no small part of the reason why a lot of these bills die...

Thank you Randy.
Amen!

Nice job to all. Thank you Randy for this forum. Like Buzz said, I think without it outcomes for a lot of things may be very different. Thank you’s to those who voted no are on the way.

I hope hunters take this as a shot across the bow. Another bill just like it will probably come up in two years, or this one could even be resurrected.

In my correspondence with receptive legislators, I focused on the damages this bill would do to Hunter/landowner relations. That’s the crux. I do think we have to think outside of the box, and I do think that there will have to be some give-and-take, and I don’t think that just telling the portion of landowners for whom elk are financially detrimental to pound sand is gonna ever work for us, and I do think our elk management plan objective numbers are out of touch with the landscape and reality.

I hope people smarter than me can come up with a model for moving forward. As much as I am disgusted at times by the propositions of some of these folks and their attitudes towards the sportsfolk of Montana, I also believe that any model that doesn’t include them will get us right back where we started.

I know there is still some possibility that this could get brought back to action, but you all need to think about what you accomplished with your commitment and advocacy. You tabled a bill requested by the Department (Governor) to be brought forth by the Speaker of the House.
Any idea on how fast they could bring this up again?

I think we need to consolidate a message to build around. Something like, We need to let the new Elk Managment committee work on these problems utilizing existing solutions like Game Damage hunts and Shoulder seasons. Adding another "solution" into the mix just complicates their work as there is no data to base recommendations on. Any solution should include Resident hunters which would allow a strengthening of the relationship being ranchers and hunters.

Also, there was a lot of talk about zones "over" objective, but part of this bill clearly states the zone the landowner lives in has to be "at objective". Did I miss something somewhere?

I think Randy deserves a pretty big thank you for the platform he provides all sportsmen/women to keep us all informed and up to speed on these issues. Its no small part of the reason why a lot of these bills die...

Thank you Randy.
Agreed. I was near the Canada Line yesterday listening to a Randy/Marcus podcast as I was collecting willow cuttings. The theme was advocacy for political influence.

I am sure I only understand a fraction of the pain in the ass this site has to be to run, monitor and pay for. That being said, if it wasn't for this forum I would not be as involved and informed on many issues.

Thanks Randy.

PS Marcus did a good job steering the conversation. I am calling BS on bluegill that won't fit through a 10" hole. Don't try to pull your theater of the mind crap on me. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back