Caribou Gear

Hb 285

HB 285 needs to die also. It would allow unlimited archery permits in HD 250. We just got reduced to 25 BTB permits only,,,not due to making it a trophy unit but to maintain any type of healthly elk population.

It amazes me there would be bill that would put unlimited permits in a HD with barely enough resource to have any type of season.

this bill would undermine years of work by The Ravalli County Fish and Wildlife Asso. the Bitterroot Elk Working Group and FWP.

The Missouri breaks can't take it either. I just got back from flying over 300 miles of prime habitat and saw less than a hundred cows and maybe 20 bulls. That place has taken a dive. Does this 285 bill reverse the breaks le status ?

Yep. Breaks are affected in both HB 361 and HB 285.

HB 285 is another gem brought to you by the Rep that would reverse I-161, make lions predators, and get rid of the bison hunt in MT.

285 is still alive. I don't recall the part about if you draw for those Hds then that's the only Hd you cam hunt. Was that a revision?

We will be there on Thursday to provide comments. Not sure if it will do any good, but this one has to die.

Between 255 and 285, we are dealing with some of the stupidest legislation since the "Barrett Bill" in 2003.

No amendment, no moderations. Killing these bills is the only thing that will provide relief from this ingnorance and self servitude.

This bill appears to be an attempt by outfitters to compensate for the loss of sponsored tags. Yes indeed it needs to die.

Not only would HB285 allow unlimited permits for non-residents, it restricts residents to only one hunting district and you can't archery hunt for elk anywhere else in the state including the general hunt areas! It also limits harvest to brow-tined or antlerless elk only - no spikes. This bill is far worse for the resident hunter than HB361.

Forgot to mention that HB285 will be heard by the Senate Fish and Game Committee on Thursday, April 7, at 3:00 PM, in Room 422.

Was the guy giving the "lecture" from the Bitterroot? I am hearing reports one of our guys got in trouble. :)

If so, another POS bites the dust, at least partially, due to MT sportsmens efforts. I "heard" no one showed to testify in favor of it, if so, how sad.

Was the guy giving the "lecture" from the Bitterroot? I am hearing reports one of our guys got in trouble. :)

Got "in trouble".....? That's awesome:D. Jones, wait til SS gives you the report on the SB 400 hearing.....unbelievable. I won't spoil it for him.

He probably already did.......

I'm not sure if the lecturer (is that a word?) was from the Bitterroot but the lecturee is Sen. John Brenden (R-Scobey)

These poor "servants of the public" are so mistreated..... Kinda wish I woulda gone to see/hear that instead of SB 400

I still think a whole bunch of us should show up at Brenden's this fall, thank him for his service to sportsmen, and ask if we can do a little hunting.......

Last edited:
Brenden told the guy from the Bitterroot not to lecture the committee - the guy didn't say anything. He should have said, "Excuse me - who works for who here?"

Back