Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hawaii Anniversary Question...Not To Hunt

genesis273

My wife and I plan to go to Hawaii for our 28th anniversary in late January '18. We've been all over US, with the exception of Hawaii, so we want to give it a try. Can anyone recommend a particular island/city/resort that would have alot of natural sites with no high population and crowds.

Evidently, there will be hunting on this trip! :(

I am partial to the big island. Very little crowds, lots to see and do. However the drive around Maui is ridiculously cool. Kauai is nice but smaller.

I am there every 6 weeks for business for the last 20 years. Just got back last week. I have seen it all literally over a hundred times. Every Island is different so it really depends on your budget and what you like. One nice way to go is pick a home base spend a few days and then take an Island hopper to another for a day or two. My favorite are the big Island and Kaui. If you like people go to Oahu. If you like tourists go to Maui. I think they are all worth seeing at one time or another and some very very good food.

We just got back last week from our 20th anniversary trip to Kauai. Like everyone else has said, it sounds more like what you're looking for...laid back, not a lot of crowds. The south side of the island is the drier side, which might be nice come January.

I am partial to the big island. Very little crowds, lots to see and do. However the drive around Maui is ridiculously cool. Kauai is nice but smaller.

My butthole was too puckered to enjoy that drive but the red sand beach was pretty cool

The drive around Maui is one of the most beautiful things I have seen in my life. On par with the Glenn Highway in Alaska. Definitely worth doing. As others have said, it is tourist heavy. I was there a couple years ago and had a great time. It wasn't crowded or unpleasant, but obviously tourist focused. The upside of that was tons of great restaurants, etc.

Big Island. Kauai and Maui lack a road that goes around the entire island. Kauai is gorgeous though.

Big Island not only has an active volcano but also has very distinct ecosystems where for 20 minutes of the drive around the island you think your are in the Scottish Highlands and an hour later you are on a recent lava flow field and 30 minutes later are on a green sand beach.

The road around Maui is a little tricky, but nothing worse than any road I take in North Idaho during hunting season. At least there are no logging trucks on Maui trying to kill you! Truly a beautiful drive,and anyone that goes there should try to experience it. I would not recommend a sports car, rent a jeep and go for it!

Maui does have a road that circles the island. Car rentals will say you can't but that's not true.

Two lane and paved all the way around? Gas stations and other services every few miles all the way round? Is not quite full-disclosure to skip over the portion of the road which is a single lane dirt road in places and rain happens there. I am all for violating the rental car agreement (i.e. you are on the hook for a flat tire and towing when go off-range) for a great adventure but might put a damper on some folks' vacation.

I'm liking the suggestions so far. If you want to go from one island to another, are there boats to do that, or just flying?

You want to get away from the crowds and a slower pace with the least amount of things to do look at Molokai and Lanai. Hunting and fishing will be great there. You can also do the famous donkey ride down the mountain on Molokai. If you want a little more look at Kauai and Big Island (Hilo side). Kauai around Kapa'a there are a lot of mountainous and sites to see. Hilo's South Point is beautiful. If you want to get lost in people, traffic, and something that doesn't represent Hawaii at all anymore go to Oahu and Maui. You might be able to catch the big winter swells in January still. Big attraction for tourist on the North Shore of Oahu. Maui you can check out Hana and it's skinny ass road. Don't look to the left or right, just pay attention to the road lol. 7 Sacred Ponds is a very beautiful place up there as well.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back