Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Have you ever seen a wolverine in the wild?

Have you seen a Wolverine in the Wild? If yes, share the state or country.

• Yes

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 70 65.4%

• Total voters

Nameless Range

The Utah Wolverine Thread got me thinking about whether or not there is a more seldom seen critter relative to its size as the Wolverine. I've never seen one.

Since Hunt Talk is a collection of folks far more likely on average to have seen one than the public, I am curious about the number of folks here who have spent some time in wolverine habitat and have seen one, and where they saw them and the stories associated.

This map violates my personal axiom that maps not oriented north are the work of the devil and affront to morality, but I kind of like it.

1647310917489.png

I saw one at 10,000 ft up on Gallatin Peak in the Spanish Peaks years ago.
Had another remove a bull elk rear quarter from a tree , drag it 100 yds and bury in a north facing snow field. He lost his quarter;)
Saw a second one last Fall on Redstreak while glassing sheep.
Only seen one lynx, near Crow Mountain down in the Absarokas.

Nope. I don't think I've ever seen one.

Curiosity had me query the following:
According to Alaska Dept of Fish and Game there's never been a documented case of an attack on a human.

Father's day two years ago, I forced the family up to a high lake mostly iced over so I could try for goldens. While I plied the open water on the far side, they had one come lopping by at about 100 yards. I never got to see it, and of course didn't believe them when I came back and my wife starts describing this "thing" to me.

I've seen two. The first one was when I was hunting in one of the previous Montana Unlimited Bighorn sheep units. My hunting partner and I had stopprd high on an open ridge to glass and have lunch. We noticed 3 mule deer bucks laying on a small knob below us. All of them were looking at something below them. When the something came into view, we saw that it was a wolverine climbing up toward the bucks. Then, one of the bucks, a 2x2, got up, and stomped several feet downhill and chased the wolverine away.

The second one that I've seen was in Canada's Mackenzie Mountains when I was hunting Dall sheep. My guide and I were packing our camp and my ram down to where a Super Cub would pick us up. We stopped for a break, and a wolverine was coming up toward us. I had bought a wolverine tag and he is now on my Trophy Room wall.
q8srNRUl.jpg

Here is one from the game cam a couple of years ago.

View attachment 215439
IIRC, you’ve got a real action shot of that pair. I feel like I remember you used it one time to break the tension of a heated thread, and it absolutely cracked me up. Could be mistaken though.

To answer the OP, I’ve never seen one, but they are a bucket list animal to see. Such cool creatures.

IIRC, you’ve got a real action shot of that pair. I feel like I remember you used it one time to break the tension of a heated thread, and it absolutely cracked me up. Could be mistaken though.

To answer the OP, I’ve never seen one, but they are a bucket list animal to see. Such cool creatures.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was appropriate. Lol

Back