Yeti GOBOX Collection

Have you ever lost a bird - in your truck?

One more... two high school seniors playing hooky to get in a little late season waterfowl hunting. Had picked up our dekes and had em all piled in the back of the John boat while my buddy was in the bow with the rest of our gear. I was behind the oars and had made it about halfway across the pond to the parking lot when behind me the loudest combination of hisses, screams, and shit flying everywhere began. One of the last birds we had “killed” was a pretty good sized honker that had come back to life and was in the process of wing beating my partner (all 6’2” 240# of him) into submission. By the time he finally corralled the bird and turned its head around a few times I was literally in tears...the look of fear on that man child’s face was priceless!

I had a goose come back to life on me once. I shot it (wounded it). Rung the neck and put in boat next to me as I headed to the landing. About 10 minutes later put it up on shore with other birds and was loading my truck, when i saw my dog take off and run into the water. I turned around to see the goose swimming away! I was completely dumbfounded.

I was going to join our teal group for a campout at the wildlife area, but I wanted to get an evening hunt in on my way. I stopped at a nearby duck spot and threw out a few decoys plus a spinning wing and had three teal in the bag for the walk out.

Driving towards Cheyenne Bottoms I stopped and got some ice for the cooler. I tossed the teal on the ice, planning to gut the birds when I arrived at the campgrounds. About ten minutes later, I hear some rustling in the backseat. One of the teal was doing his best Wesley imitation (Princess Bride) and was only “mostly dead”. I pulled over and finished the deed.

66264BD3-8852-4FD3-B159-34245FC29255.jpeg

Back