Caribou Gear Tarp

Have Any of You Observed a Wildlife Law Violation ? What Did you Do ?

I hunt alone and have run into problems on very rare occasions where I accidentally exceeded my daily bag limit of waterfowl. Nothing for it but to make a second trip into town and back out to the field. A pain in the arse but I deserve at least that much punishment. Self reporting would be self destructive. It's not an uncommon occurrence for even the most careful hunters. I will not leave a bird in the field which seems to be the usual resolution. Nowadays when I get to the last two geese, I'm VERY picky about the shots I take. It's not that important to fill the limit. More important to be out there hunting.
You seem to have this over limit thing down to a science.

I've talked with many Game Wardens and Deputies. If you call with an in progress violation, other than describing the crime that took place it is very important to provide the physical description of the suspect, precise location (on X/GPS), vehicle descriptions w/ plates if possible and direction of travel if they leave. Often times a caller is very excited after seeing a violation and gives a terrific description of the animal or fish and what occurred. If you want the poacher caught that description is the most important at the time. Pictures are worth their weight in gold

WOW !! Lots of interesting stories. I'm not too surprised that so many Hunt Talkers have taken the time, and become involved when they witness a wildlife crime. I believe most of the folks on this forum take conservation laws quite seriously. Great to see !! Keep up the good work !!

Lots of times, I’ve called on plenty and ignored plenty. Just depends on the violation. Spirit of the law vs letter of the law and what I think their intent was. Some people make mistakes, some are ignorant of the laws and some people are out to break the law. I think there is a distinct difference. I’ve seen people do things elk hunting in Montana that should have them thrown in a cell, elk make people crazy. At the same time I’ve seen people make mistakes waterfowl hunting with zero criminal intent and catch a wrap that temporarily ruined their lives and is more severe than many outright poachers receive. I have no problem calling on someone, but I also have no problem walking up to someone and having a friendly conversation. Just depends on the circumstances. I got no problem giving a statement and showing up in court. Especially for outright poachers.

i was out of cell reception but I messaged my wife from my inReach - guys were shooting off the road from their tailgate on a Caribou Hunt. I gave a description and had my wife call in. I didn't see a Trooper/Warden or I would have turned them in.

I also called in a poacher using a rifle in a bow only unit. Shot a moose we were working - never saw us.

I shot a whitetail "doe" once at 400 yards that had broken off both antlers; fortunately, they were less than the minimum size, 4 inches, so it was legal. The ends were real weathered, so you could tell it had happened a while ago so they said no big deal. I guess they would have taken the deer and fined me even though it was an honest mistake.

Most recently, while living in a state with once-in-a-lifetime moose licenses, I reported a guy who got drawn for a moose tag and was selling moose meat in a local FB group. Just really pissed me off. I know lots of people who’ve been applying for their whole life and never yet drawn and here this jackwagon was saying how he just didn’t have enough freezer space. I felt good when the tip-line operator already knew about it and the post had been up for less than an hour already.

In my eyes, if you get drawn for something like that, an extra chest freezer purchase would be minimal for the experience of enjoying all that meat. Even if you sell the freezer when you don’t need it anymore.

——

Another time I was driving out of a chunk of USFS grassland and saw a pile of feathers next to fence alongside the road. Jumped out to see a red-tailed hawk with a close range shotgun blast through its middle. Wad was close by the carcass and a shotgun shell was lying in the road. Called the local conservation officer who kind of accused me of shooting this bird when I told him there was a hawk killed with a shotgun. He asked me “ how do you know it was killed with a shotgun if you just found it?“

And then they wonder why people sometimes just walk away and dont even bother calling them. lol

I share a deer lease with a guy who is a CO in GA. He has more stories than you could ever dream to make up. He said its a real circus out there. He absolutely hates being on the water because he says "Just when you think the average hunter is a dummy, you should see your average boater..." lol

I share a deer lease with a guy who is a CO in GA. He has more stories than you could ever dream to make up. He said its a real circus out there. He absolutely hates being on the water because he says "Just when you think the average hunter is a dummy, you should see your average boater..." lol
10 yrs,lake patrol............

I self reported when I was 17 in Maine I shot a small spike deer at about three feet his spikes were half an inch under the three inch limit. Called the warden (who’s on tv now) he let me keep the buck and understood that it was a reaction shot with the buck coming up behind me he damn near stepped on me. I saw the spikes looked tall enough and only had about a second to decide that I needed/wanted meat. He let me go with a warning did ask that I volunteer for an upcoming cleanup project which I did. I thought that was a great way to not chase someone off and make them feel downtrodden and still pay a little back for breaking the law. I have called on a lot of fishing violations people absurdly over the limit or cleaning fish in the river using spinning gear with trebles in barbless areas. Two years ago had a guy with about 25 nice size trout right below Wildhorse res dam cleaned them all right there so everything for a mile down stream was just guts floating by I couldn’t believe it started to try to just talk to him. He asked me if I was a warden I said nope I’m sure not. I decided then it was worth the drive back to cell signal to call him in.

Another time I was driving out of a chunk of USFS grassland and saw a pile of feathers next to fence alongside the road. Jumped out to see a red-tailed hawk with a close range shotgun blast through its middle. Wad was close by the carcass and a shotgun shell was lying in the road. Called the local conservation officer who kind of accused me of shooting this bird when I told him there was a hawk killed with a shotgun. He asked me “ how do you know it was killed with a shotgun if you just found it?“
Did you ask him if his LE diploma came with a decoder ring?

Last edited:
"OntarioHunter: sort of self reported back in 1981 when I shot a bull and cow elk with same shot. Had already hit the bull and it was just before dark so I had to drop him. I saw a cow to his rear and one standing in front but did not see the one on the other side. It probably wouldn't have made any difference. He had to go down. That night I called the regional boss at home anonymously and offered to take someone up there the next day when I hauled out the bull with horses. I did not want another elk. He said five years earlier he would have just issued another tag but with the current crop of bleeding hearts and aspiring Dick Traceys in the office he couldn't guarantee I wouldn't get cited. He almost guaranteed I would. "Leave it there to feed the birds." I took a chance and brought it out. At the conclusion of our conversation he asked where I shot it (because he had to ask). "Oh ... um ... up the Middle Fork. Yeah, that's it." He chuckled. Of course I didn't shoot it up the Middle Fork.
I hunt alone and have run into problems on very rare occasions where I accidentally exceeded my daily bag limit of waterfowl. Nothing for it but to make a second trip into town and back out to the field. A pain in the arse but I deserve at least that much punishment. Self reporting would be self destructive. It's not an uncommon occurrence for even the most careful hunters. I will not leave a bird in the field which seems to be the usual resolution. Nowadays when I get to the last two geese, I'm VERY picky about the shots I take. It's not that important to fill the limit. More important to be out there hunting.
I'm not quite sure you understand the premise of this thread. It's is certainly not about how to commit game violations and get away with it.

On the first one, if you didn't call anonymously to cover your ass and lie about where the elk was, the second elk could have possibly been salvaged and donated.

Last edited:
"OntarioHunter: sort of self reported back in 1981 when I shot a bull and cow elk with same shot. Had already hit the bull and it was just before dark so I had to drop him. I saw a cow to his rear and one standing in front but did not see the one on the other side. It probably wouldn't have made any difference. He had to go down. That night I called the regional boss at home anonymously and offered to take someone up there the next day when I hauled out the bull with horses. I did not want another elk. He said five years earlier he would have just issued another tag but with the current crop of bleeding hearts and aspiring Dick Traceys in the office he couldn't guarantee I wouldn't get cited. He almost guaranteed I would. "Leave it there to feed the birds." I took a chance and brought it out. At the conclusion of our conversation he asked where I shot it (because he had to ask). "Oh ... um ... up the Middle Fork. Yeah, that's it." He chuckled. Of course I didn't shoot it up the Middle Fork.

I'm not quite sure you understand the premise of this thread. It's is certainly not about how to commit game violations and get away with it.
Topic got around to self reporting. Hardly a deviation since the question was about reporting violations. What's your problem?

Topic got around to self reporting. Hardly a deviation since the question was about reporting violations. What's your problem?
"Self reporting" anonymously and lying to the CO about location isn't exactly self reporting IMO. I don't have a problem I just think it's a poor example of reporting a game violation.

My BIL had a guy go full sovereign citizen on him arguing about life vests and how his paddle board "wasn't a vessel." Still got a ticket.

If i see serious wildlife violations i do try and report it, and i have on two different occasions.
Our critters cannot dial a phone, somebody needs to lend a hand at times.

I see lots of small stuff every year, usually blaze orange not being used. There have been 4 that I called in. One was one guy shooting 3 fork horn mule deer at one time. He got a fine 2 of the deer taken away. Turned in a local rancher in SE idaho for shooting a cow elk on city of rocks monument. Legal to hunt there but you can't drive off road, and can't use a cow tag on there...in particular when said cow tag is only good for hunting within a half mile of a green field. Closest legal green field was over 6 miles away. The wardens had been trying to catch up with these guys for a while...iirc they got busted for illegal take, shooting from a vehicle, over limit on elk, and shooting from a county road. Another couple guys for shooting a cow elk in Wyoming....that was 4 miles into Colorado. Final one was gross over the limit, out of season poaching by a cheyenne taxidermist...all trophy stuff. Troy Hall, real p.o.s.....and didn't get all he deserved or even caught for all the violations I knew about.

Only state I would consider not turning in a poacher would be Montana. Seems dumb to turn someone in for poaching an elk, shooting an extra one, etc when the landowners, legislature, and fwp just want them dead anyway. Sort of in line with fighting a wildfire in an area in August and then applying fire in October for a controlled burn...

"Self reporting" anonymously and lying to the CO about location isn't exactly self reporting IMO. I don't have a problem I just think it's a poor example of reporting a game violation.
Nice job of taking things out of context. Very childish. If the game warden went up with me the next day to pack the cow out, my anononomity would obviously go out the window. The gentleman knew my dad well (socially) and I kinda think he knew who he was talking to. I threw myself open to legal entrapment by offering to take him to the animal so it could be salvaged for charity. He did the honest thing and told me he couldn't guarantee I wouldn't get cited. Told me what he'd do if he was in my shoes: feed the birds. Then he essentially asked where to go looking so they wouldn't find me. He never asked my name. Because he didn't want to know. I don't expect you to understand all this. You are obviously from another era and probably a whole different environment.

I was a young guy fresh out of college with a new wife and baby trying to get by. I didn't need to deal with a big fine added to my tight budget. But worst of all, I really could not live with my name in the weekly paper's crime sheet as a poacher. Still I risked trying to do the right thing and the warden handled it sensibly. We both did the best we could in a rapidly evolving legal environment. Those were the good old days.

Last edited:
I see lots of small stuff every year, usually blaze orange not being used. There have been 4 that I called in. One was one guy shooting 3 fork horn mule deer at one time. He got a fine 2 of the deer taken away. Turned in a local rancher in SE idaho for shooting a cow elk on city of rocks monument. Legal to hunt there but you can't drive off road, and can't use a cow tag on there...in particular when said cow tag is only good for hunting within a half mile of a green field. Closest legal green field was over 6 miles away. The wardens had been trying to catch up with these guys for a while...iirc they got busted for illegal take, shooting from a vehicle, over limit on elk, and shooting from a county road. Another couple guys for shooting a cow elk in Wyoming....that was 4 miles into Colorado. Final one was gross over the limit, out of season poaching by a cheyenne taxidermist...all trophy stuff. Troy Hall, real p.o.s.....and didn't get all he deserved or even caught for all the violations I knew about.

Only state I would consider not turning in a poacher would be Montana. Seems dumb to turn someone in for poaching an elk, shooting an extra one, etc when the landowners, legislature, and fwp just want them dead anyway. Sort of in line with fighting a wildfire in an area in August and then applying fire in October for a controlled burn...
Wow. Elk meat ain't bad eating but I never thought it was THAT good. Some people just gotta kill stuff I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back