Have Any of You Observed a Wildlife Law Violation ? What Did you Do ?

Nice job of taking things out of context. Very childish. If the game warden went up with me the next day to pack the cow out, my anononomity would obviously go out the window. The gentleman knew my dad well (socially) and I kinda think he knew who he was talking to. I threw myself open to legal entrapment by offering to take him to the animal so it could be salvaged for charity. He did the honest thing and told me he couldn't guarantee I wouldn't get cited. Told me what he'd do if he was in my shoes: feed the birds. Then he essentially asked where to go looking so they wouldn't find me. He never asked my name. Because he didn't want to know. I don't expect you to understand all this. You are obviously from another era and probably a whole different environment.

I was a young guy fresh out of college with a new wife and baby trying to get by. I didn't need to deal with a big fine added to my tight budget. But worst of all, I really could not live with my name in the weekly paper's crime sheet as a poacher. Still I risked trying to do the right thing and the warden handled it sensibly. We both did the best we could in a rapidly evolving legal environment. Those were the good old days.
Need an extra shovel to help dig the hole to justify your actions?

I haven't seen any wildlife violations that I know of but the national forest where I hunt is a hot spot for recreational shooters which is legal in certain sections, but I have caught countless people shooting carelessly where they aren't allowed. There were also people shooting during the Stage 3 burn ban which really annoyed me.

Nice job of taking things out of context. Very childish. If the game warden went up with me the next day to pack the cow out, my anononomity would obviously go out the window. The gentleman knew my dad well (socially) and I kinda think he knew who he was talking to. I threw myself open to legal entrapment by offering to take him to the animal so it could be salvaged for charity. He did the honest thing and told me he couldn't guarantee I wouldn't get cited. Told me what he'd do if he was in my shoes: feed the birds. Then he essentially asked where to go looking so they wouldn't find me. He never asked my name. Because he didn't want to know. I don't expect you to understand all this. You are obviously from another era and probably a whole different environment.

I was a young guy fresh out of college with a new wife and baby trying to get by. I didn't need to deal with a big fine added to my tight budget. But worst of all, I really could not live with my name in the weekly paper's crime sheet as a poacher. Still I risked trying to do the right thing and the warden handled it sensibly. We both did the best we could in a rapidly evolving legal environment. Those were the good old days.
Rodger. Still doesn't change my opinion of it being a bad example but good on you I guess.

I was a young guy fresh out of college with a new wife and baby trying to get by. I didn't need to deal with a big fine added to my tight budget. But worst of all, I really could not live with my name in the weekly paper's crime sheet as a poacher.
What in the hell does that have to do with whether or not you broke the law?

So I’ve learned tonight most Hunt Talkers go out of their way to report violations, which is very important to maintaining the integrity of hunting. I’ve also learned others can rationalize their way out of over limits and wastage without a second thought.

So I’ve learned tonight most Hunt Talkers go out of their way to report violations, which is very important to maintaining the integrity of hunting. I’ve also learned others can rationalize their way out of over limits and wastage without a second thought.
What I have learned is that some children on here just can't get enough drama. But I think the host of this forum has had enough of it.

What in the hell does that have to do with whether or not you broke the law?
In the context of the entire post it explains why I self reported even though I had several good reasons not to. But of course you knew that.

I reported a couple shooting from the highways or public roads or too close to building and took pictures of some to turn in. I don't mess with the petty stuff but actual poaching is something I would report if I suspected it. Poachers, trespassers and vandalism done to private property can damage your access and future rights if left unchecked.

In the context of the entire post it explains why I self reported even though I had several good reasons not to. But of course you knew that.
So having a tight budget is justifiable in not being responsible for a fine?
Btw your famous a hacker posted your pic all over the site.

Last edited:
I didn't need to deal with a big fine added to my tight budget. But worst of all, I really could not live with my name in the weekly paper's crime sheet as a poacher.
You seem pretty okay with the fact you committed a violation, and did what you needed to do in order not to have your name in the paper.

It’s very ironic to me you then speak down to others and call them childish. Actually, hypocritical is probably a better term.

In my small hunting circle, violations are reported immediately. No anonymous bullshit or games. If you get a ticket you get a ticket. Self reporting isn’t self destructive, it’s just doing the right thing.

Also shooting over your limit on geese is okay for you too I guess as long as you make to trips back to the house so you dont get caught for going over your daily bag limit. Just to let you know that's not how posession limits work, But you already knew that.
Just so you know, the possession limit here is unlimited. Has been for several years. From reading your reinterpretation of what I wrote it seems you are the one who doesn't know how the possession limits work. Or what a possession limit is. You make it sound like I make a habit of shooting over my limit. Not true. But it has happened in spite of best efforts. And I'm certainly not alone. Read through the posts. Shotguns throw many projectiles without a whole lot of discretion. I hate it when it happens but I won't leave birds in the field which seems to be the usual solution for these mishaps.

Once several years ago when both Pearl and Opal were alive I hit a helluva hot spot one afternoon. I had three geese dead before I could get half my dozen decoys out. Then every bird in the sky dropped on them. Big flocks of geese came in a hundred yards high and fell like a stone. Some of the cacklers were somersaulting in midair. It was amazing. After forty minutes several hundred were piled up in the field, some walking around fifteen yards from our hiding spot. But I didn't dare shoot. I only needed two and one shot in that mess would probably kill a dozen. Finally a small family group circled so I could pick my shots. Emptied my gun and never hit one of them. The roar in front of me was deafening but I never considered taking a shot in that direction. Had to laugh at myself afterwards. Fifteen minutes later a lone pair cruised by for a look and I took them bang bang. That's the way it's supposed to work but it doesn't always happen. Twice that I can remember with four geese in the bag and one left to fill it I pulled on a flaring family group and two birds fell. Once the extra bird wasn't even close to the one I had picked out. It happens. More often with ducks I think because they are smaller and more can fit in the pattern. Well, I will say it happens to anyone who has spent decades waterfowl hunting. You'll find out someday ... maybe.

Just so you know, the possession limit here is unlimited. Has been for several years. From reading your reinterpretation of what I wrote it seems you are the one who doesn't know how the possession limits work. Or what a possession limit is. You make it sound like I make a habit of shooting over my limit. Not true. But it has happened in spite of best efforts. And I'm certainly not alone. Read through the posts. Shotguns throw many projectiles without a whole lot of discretion. I hate it when it happens but I won't leave birds in the field which seems to be the usual solution for these mishaps.

Once several years ago when both Pearl and Opal were alive I hit a helluva hot spot one afternoon. I had three geese dead before I could get half my dozen decoys out. Then every bird in the sky dropped on them. Big flocks of geese came in a hundred yards high and fell like a stone. Some of the cacklers were somersaulting in midair. It was amazing. After forty minutes several hundred were piled up in the field, some walking around fifteen yards from our hiding spot. But I didn't dare shoot. I only needed two and one shot in that mess would probably kill a dozen. Finally a small family group circled so I could pick my shots. Emptied my gun and never hit one of them. The roar in front of me was deafening but I never considered taking a shot in that direction. Had to laugh at myself afterwards. Fifteen minutes later a lone pair cruised by for a look and I took them bang bang. That's the way it's supposed to work but it doesn't always happen. Twice that I can remember with four geese in the bag and one left to fill it I pulled on a flaring family group and two birds fell. Once the extra bird wasn't even close to the one I had picked out. It happens. More often with ducks I think because they are smaller and more can fit in the pattern. Well, I will say it happens to anyone who has spent decades waterfowl hunting. You'll find out someday ... maybe.
If your one bird away from your limit. You either wait til you have a clean shot at a single or you just dont shoot. Hard to hit two birds if there's only one there. All this coming from the guy who said he only shoots geese in the head. Now your knocking down doubles all the time with one shot. Idk maybe your retina has become detached again and its affecting your vision. As far as the posession limit goes I never know if your talking about canada or the US as you like to play double agent.

You seem pretty okay with the fact you committed a violation, and did what you needed to do in order not to have your name in the paper.

It’s very ironic to me you then speak down to others and call them childish. Actually, hypocritical is probably a better term.

In my small hunting circle, violations are reported immediately. No anonymous bullshit or games. If you get a ticket you get a ticket. Self reporting isn’t self destructive, it’s just doing the right thing.
Again, you are missing the context. This was almost fifty years ago. When I first started hunting a lot was left to the discretion of the warden. And elk weren't the exhaulted species they are today. They were meat and there was lots of them. I can recall several hunters when I was a kid who accidentally shot two elk. Usually it was cow and calf. In the old days someone would be found to tag the extra animal. My family had taken enough elk that year and I really was uneasy about involving someone else in something went south retreiving it. So I tried to give it to the state (those animals were usually processed at the Soldiers Home in Columbia Falls). These days I would just have called and left GPS coordinates but this was long before satellites. Again, I don't expect you to understand. You obviously weren't raised in that historucal context. Probably not even in Montana. The bottom line is I tried and the state didn't want to be bothered with either taking the elk or citing me. Why should they? It was an accident. Not poaching. No sense in causing everyone, including the game warden, a headache. But the times they have changed ... unfortunately.

If your one bird away from your limit. You either wait til you have a clean shot at a single or you just dont shoot. Hard to hit two birds if there's only one there. All this coming from the guy who said he only shoots geese in the head. Now your knocking down doubles all the time with one shot. Idk maybe your retina has become detached again and its affecting your vision. As far as the posession limit goes I never know if your talking about canada or the US as you like to play double agent.
WTF are you talking about? When have I ever said I only shoot geese in the head?! Pfft. Again, what is your problem? Really, how often do you see single geese flying around? Hah, hah, hah. If you do happen to see a loner, it's usually a mile up crying for its dead mate and won't decoy for shit. I'm sure I can count on one hand the number of lone geese I have shot over the last five years. And I shoot about forty a year usually.

Again, what has posession limit got to do with the point you were trying to make?

Last edited:
WTF are you talking about? When have I ever said I only shoot geese in the head?! Pfft. Again, what is your problem? Really, how often do you see single geese flying around? Hah, hah, hah. If you do happen to see a loner, it's usually a mile up crying for its dead mate and won't decoy for shit.

Again, what has posession limit got to do with the point you were trying to make?
You said it. Long ago, I remember because I couldnt believe you said it. Yah no one ever sees a loner. Loners are actually the easiest birds to decoy imo. Give me a break.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back