Hard Night Great Results!

maxx

My 11 year old has been determined to shoot a deer with his bow this year. I convinced him to give the muzzy a try last night. It was the last time we could get out with a muzzle loader until December.

I set up a blind in a recently cut corn field on Thursday after I shot a deer. We hit the blind around 4:20 it was really windy and somewhat warm. Around 6:00 it cooled and the wind died. Two does made their way into the field. He said he didn't want to shoot a doe with a muzzle loader it was buck only. The does kept looking back. They fed towards us and around 6:15 give or take the buck showed up. He came through before my son could pick him up in the scope. I ended up stopping him to late and he was in my view but out of my boys. The buck made his way into the little strip of timber we were hunting in. After a few more minutes the feeding does made their way into the timber. My son wanted to sit down he was getting tired, sure enough he fell over in the chair and made a racket. We got him back up and sitting.

After a few more minutes the buck made his way back into the field. He was 30 yards for 4-5 minutes sitting perfectly broadside in the middle of the field. For some reason my son couldn't pick him out. I think he was fixated down the edge of the field and wouldn't scan his eyes. As the buck started to walk away he picked him up. The deer got to 60-70 yards and was quarter away. I finally grunted at him and he turned giving him a shot. As you will see in the video the deer did a huge kick.

We couldn't find a single drop of blood. I didn't get a lot of sleep and we were pretty down last night, even though I had a good feeling based on the hit when you cant find blood it is very difficult. The deer ran towards a CRP field.

We decided to head home and give this morning a try. Still no blood so I decided to just do a bunch of walking. After an hour I walked up on him. I was relieved and excited at the same time. My son has killed a few does before but this is his first buck!

http://s922.photobucket.com/user/max...tml?sort=3&o=1

[/

Amazing when an animal is clearly in your view, and someone right next to you cannot visually pick them up. Congratulations on the woods times.

That's a GREAT buck for your first! Congrats to both of you! I've been deer hunting for 40 years and would be tickled to get one like that. Pass on our congrats to the lucky fellow.

Man that's just awesome! My 9 year old is dying to come with, but I'm just not sure. Congrats to both of you!
Take the kid!! It may slow you down a bit, but I am most positive that you'll remember the hunt more with them along. I get that hunting in ID is very different that what we do here, but my 9yo has killed 4 whitetails and we're looking to add to that in Nov.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back