Caribou Gear Tarp

Handgun Decision

Would you keep Glock 26 or Ruger Speed Six.

• Glock 26

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Ruger Speed Six

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Sell Both

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters
R

rwc101

My dad lucked into a free Ruger Speed Six in .38 Special. He says I can have the Ruger to replace my Glock 26 with laser sight/cat toy if I want. It was implied that I would sell the Glock if I took the Ruger so he could invest towards a new shotgun because the Montefeltro I drove 4 hours to buy him last year apparently isn't enough (mostly sarcasm on my part there).

I don't conceal carry often. Being of dainty frame, both guns are difficult to conceal unless it's winter. Mostly have taken the Glock in the truck and camper. Glock obviously has more capacity, is lighter, and smaller but also a pain to manipulate with a bum thumb. Ruger appeals to my appreciation of revolvers and easier to manipulate but is less powerful and bulky. I can shoot both well enough to stop a miscreant at 20 yards. Maybe 15 in a real fight.

I’m also a smaller sized individual and appendix carry. It’s comfortable & it remains very well concealed even in a tshirt. The G26 would be best for cc. Give appendix a try if interested

I voted keep the Ruger, but in reality, I'd find a way to keep both. I've only sold one gun in my life. It was Ruger P95 that I had a love/hate relationship with but still to this day, I wish I would have kept it.

It comes down to comfort and reliability. If a double action revolver solves a thumb issue, then that's your ticket. That speed six will also not lose value over the next 30 years like a glock will.

The 38 special can be handloaded to factory 9mm velocities, and honestly, it does the job 99% of the time. Police used it for almost 100 years in the US while European nations were sitting on .32 acps & 380's.

I’d love to have a revolver, but will likely go 44 or 357 mag whenever I find the right deal on one. I voted to keep the Glock.

Glock - they work.
+1
I disliked Glock for the longest time until I had to carry one for work for a few years (G19). Got used to it and even started to like them. I now have a few for personal carry and just picked up a G20 10mm for bear carry. Glock makes a simple pistol that is easy to master. Parts, magazines and other accessories are always easy to find.
Run what fits your hands the best though. I'm not brand loyal, I just became very comfortable with Glocks over time.

OP whichever you shoot better, but I'll answer this silly question with an equally silly one...would you rather be shot 10 times or 6?
One good or lucky shot with either would take you out. The most important thing about what ever cartridge you get is weather or not you can handle it. I used 38 spec 148gr WC years ago and it was very accurate and very easy to shoot. Today I carry a 9mm only because it's easier to conceal! I really doubt either one has a lot of advantage over the other!

Last edited:
My dad lucked into a free Ruger Speed Six in .38 Special. He says I can have the Ruger to replace my Glock 26 with laser sight/cat toy if I want. It was implied that I would sell the Glock if I took the Ruger so he could invest towards a new shotgun because the Montefeltro I drove 4 hours to buy him last year apparently isn't enough (mostly sarcasm on my part there).

I don't conceal carry often. Being of dainty frame, both guns are difficult to conceal unless it's winter. Mostly have taken the Glock in the truck and camper. Glock obviously has more capacity, is lighter, and smaller but also a pain to manipulate with a bum thumb. Ruger appeals to my appreciation of revolvers and easier to manipulate but is less powerful and bulky. I can shoot both well enough to stop a miscreant at 20 yards. Maybe 15 in a real fight.
I'm a fan of wheel guns - and I'd say if the Glock is hard to manipulate take the revolver and then go look for a semiauto you like more or fits your hand a little better maybe?
You can also double check and see if you can run some .38+P to see if you can get a little more umph out of that Speed Six.

Out of all the Glocks the 26 is my least favorite. Fells like a 2x4 in my hand. If you want a Glock for concealed carry sell it and get a 48. 9mm 10 shot single stack. The Speed six is a great pistol, but a little big to try and conceal. If I carry its a S&W Airweight. Fits in my pocket nicely and if you look at the stats, caliber really doesn’t matter until you get up to the 357 mag with 125 JHP. Modern bullets and propellants have narrowed the gap between common defensive calibers.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back