Caribou Gear

Hammer HHT Bullets

44hunter45

Ordered 50 .264 118HHT bullets this morning. I.m hoping they will like my 1-9" twist better.

I got screaming velocity out of my 1-9" MkII M77 in 264WM, but could not get the groups dialed down.

I need to admit that the throat may be eroded to the point that only a re-barrel is going to fix this. I will be happy with anything less than 1MOA

Anybody tried HHTs yet?

(Cross-posted to HammerTime)

Soooo many questions arise from your post....

One observation I'd share is concerning the throat erosion.

Throat erosion in and of itself will only effect accuracy due to the amount of jump the bullet likes changing. Something that can be overcome to a degree.

I say this as someone that has had 6,000+ rounds down a barrel & would still shoot 5 rounds into .78" at 100 yards. (hunting rifle)

When, like me, your throat gets long enough that you can't hold the bullet you like in the neck of the case and still maintain a set distance from the lands, yeah it's time for a barrel.

Thinking I might give the 154HHT a test ride in my RUM over either Hybrid V or Staball 6.5 as they are the two powders in my closet that are about the right burn rate. I might also try the 182 HHT over IMR 4955.

Thinking I might give the 154HHT a test ride in my RUM over either Hybrid V or Staball 6.5 as they are the two powders in my closet that are about the right burn rate. I might also try the 182 HHT over IMR 4955.
Just when I have my mind made up, I might have changed it. Velocity. mtmuley

I shot some 118 HHT's out of my 6.5X284 yesterday. I got them screaming at 3400 fps and shot a .30 MOA group.
But with a little heavy bolt lift I will definitely tone it down for lots of reasons.
What powder and barrel length? I’ve got some 118s loaded up to try with RL16 but I have a 21” barrel. I’m going to try to get out tomorrow and see what I get.

Just out of curiosity, what’s the hype with light for caliber bullets? I’ve noticed it especially with the hammers.

I just ran some 200 sledge hammers out of my 8mmRM over my Magnetospeed to order some "Caps" from Leopold.
Ran 5 averaged 3260 and with the Bayonet on the barrel, I got well under an inch at 100. (y) (y)
If your getting CDS turrets, take the magnetospeed off (you already have your velocities) and shoot again.

After your zeroed without the magnetospeed, then shoot out to 600-800 yards to true your velocity and or BC.

Garbage in.
Equals
Garbage out.

What powder and barrel length? I’ve got some 118s loaded up to try with RL16 but I have a 21” barrel. I’m going to try to get out tomorrow and see what I get.
Mine's a 24" 1:8 barrel and I was also using RL 16 to get those speeds.
It also really likes the 124g HH with RL 23 and 26, but at much slower velocity. It's kinda my favorite rifle right now.

I just ran some 200 sledge hammers out of my 8mmRM over my Magnetospeed to order some "Caps" from Leopold.
Ran 5 averaged 3260 and with the Bayonet on the barrel, I got well under an inch at 100. (y) (y)
Be sure to shoot it at distance to figure out the right ballistics coefficient. Some hammers are close with their bc numbers and some are off quite a bit

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, what’s the hype with light for caliber bullets? I’ve noticed it especially with the hammers.
You'll notice it for pretty much all the monolithic bullet makers out there.

Mono's are long for their weight, compared to lead core bullets.
So you really want to watch the twist rate of your barrel!

Example would be 25 caliber. (Doesn't matter the cartridge)
Most FACTORY rifles have a rifling twist that is 1:10.
Some mono manufacturers recommend a 90gr bullet.
Where with lead core you can shoot up to 120gr.

If your getting CDS turrets, take the magnetospeed off (you already have your velocities) and shoot again.

After your zeroed without the magnetospeed, then shoot out to 600-800 yards to true your velocity and or BC.

Garbage in.
Equals
Garbage out.
Can you please explain a little
More. Im New to hand loading and the CDS system…just want to make sure I’m understanding what you’re saying.

1) develop load
2) sight in at 100
3) shoot to 600 yards with the chrono…what do you mean to “true” the velocity?

More. Im New to hand loading and the CDS system…just want to make sure I’m understanding what you’re saying.

1) develop load
2) sight in at 100
Nope, your misunderstanding.
Since the Magnetospeed straps onto your barrel, it can change your point of impact when you take it off.

If you just use the Chrono velocity, when you shoot at distance, your drop may not (likely won't) align up with your ballistic calculator.

Do your normal load development. If this is with the Chrono, that's fine. It will give you your baseline velocity.

Take the Chrono off and see if your point of impact has changed & rezero your scope as necessary.

If you have access to a 600-800 yard range, that's good. If not, the further the better.

Plug your info into a ballistic calculator.
With the Chrono off, shoot and check your impacts.
More than likely they won't exactly match up with the ballistic calculator.

You can then adjust either your velocity or the bullet BC to match what your actually shooting in the ballistic calculator.

THIS is the info you give for your CDS turret!

Otherwise your turret will be off by the amount that you shot at long range vs the original info you plugged into your calculator.

1) develop load
2) sight in at 100
Nope, your misunderstanding.
Since the Magnetospeed straps onto your barrel, it can change your point of impact when you take it off.

If you just use the Chrono velocity, when you shoot at distance, your drop may not (likely won't) align up with your ballistic calculator.
Do your normal load development. If this is with the Chrono, that's fine. It will give you your baseline velocity.

Take the Chrono off and see if your point of impact has changed & rezero your scope as necessary.

If you have access to a 600-800 yard range, that's good. If not, the further the better.

Plug your info into a ballistic calculator.
With the Chrono off, shoot and check your impacts.
More than likely they won't exactly match up with the ballistic calculator.

You can then adjust either your velocity or the bullet BC to match what your actually shooting in the ballistic calculator.

THIS is the info you give for your CDS turret!

Otherwise your turret will be off by the amount that you shot at long range vs the original info you plugged into your calculator.
Just go get a LabRadar....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back