7mm-08 Load with 131gr Hammer Hunter

No, those shorter ones were just in hopes that the best shooting load would also fit in the standard magazine. The crimp on those were in front of the groove.

In the end, the best shooting coal put the crimp right where all the main folks over on the hammer discussion board say to put it: end of the crimp right in the middle of the second pdr groove.

View attachment 180929
What model gun are you shooting? Can you modify the mag lips for smoother feeding of the longer length?
It’s a Bergara B14 Hunter, so hinged floorplate. I plan to mess with the COAL some more once I settle on a load. I’ll pull the bottom metal off tonight and see if I can possible grind a little of the map lip away. No sense messing with anything yet though as I don’t yet know whether the crimp will actually make enough of a difference to be worth the trouble.

If I put a HH in that groove in my .280 the bullet will end up sticking in the lands.
How bad do you want to try longer coal's? It's an investment in the unknown, but you could lengthen your throat. Make a dummy round and have a smith do it, or do it yourself. PTG sells a throat reamer kit. I've used 4D Rentals out of Kalispell before and have been very pleased with their offerings. I assume you'd use a 7mm throater?

Are you satisfied with how it shoots any traditional bullet or any other mono?

How bad do you want to try longer coal's? It's an investment in the unknown, but you could lengthen your throat. Make a dummy round and have a smith do it, or do it yourself. PTG sells a throat reamer kit. I've used 4D Rentals out of Kalispell before and have been very pleased with their offerings. I assume you'd use a 7mm throater?

Are you satisfied with how it shoots any traditional bullet or any other mono?
It seems to shoot them fine seated deep. If I do anything I’d just rebarrel down the road.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back