Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Gustafson vs Brown Montana

peterk1234

Anybody have an opinion the better candidate for the supreme court? Seems to me that Gustafson has a record of protecting public lands. I think Brown is being pushed by the governor. I'm a very conservative dude but for some reason my faith in this governor and his selections worry me from a public access point of view.

Am I wrong?

As usual, politics is confusing. Very little black and white. However, here we are on a hunting and public lands forum where public access and public lands should be the deciding factors. Based on that, Gustafson is the clear choice. Her long and transparent track record shows no "fiascos". If your strategy is to vote for candidates who receive no "dark money" support, then your ballot will be mostly unmarked. ;)

If "very conservative" means voting to support your tribe and the present Governor supporting Brown, then certainly you have the prerogative to vote that way.

Since we’re talking access: I’m personally worried that MT’s stream access is going to be relitigated sometime soon. Don’t have a ton of faith in anyone the current governor promotes to uphold that.

As for the dark money, run some Google searches about the race. Just read an article in the Great Falls Tribune saying:
“Brown represented the right-wing dark money group American Tradition Partnership, then Western Traditions Partnership, as part of a lawsuit that ultimately overturned Montana’s elections spending laws.” So we have him to partially thank for even allowing so-called “dark money” in our state’s elections.

Nevertheless, applaud OP’s willingness to take a hard look at both candidates. But if you’re voting on access, Gustafson is clearly the right choice.

Anymore politics reminds me of a John Wayne quote from The Shootist...2 sides of the same counterfeit coin

Since this is a pro-public land website, it is worth noting that James Brown is endorsed by Attorney General Austin Knudsen. The Austin Knudsen who advocated for building subdivisions for the recent influx of out of staters over acquiring more land for wildlife and hunting.

I see Brown’s sign wherever there is a Zinke sign. Along with the AG endorsement that does it for me and Brown.

I voted for Gustafson. Advocating the sale of public lands to private interests - especially property developers - is an automatic disqualifier.

Someone needs to stuff this AG Knudsen into a trash can.

I never understood how anybody sitting on the supreme court can have leanings one way or another when making rulings.
The reality is that generally the justices attempt to analyze, judge, and decide based on precedent and interpretation of the Constitution ... however, they are people, humans with human leanings. Previously mentioned Mabee Road judgement is such a decision based on Constitutional criteria, rather than political or "human" leanings.
Some public land issues are not black and white, so would it not be better to rely on justices with a leaning (whether intentional or not) toward public lands ... rather than justices who are openly opposed to public lands protections, acquisitions, access, and other concerns of value to hunters?
It's also worth mentioning the private property rights agricultural issue surrounding conservation easements, which benefit wildlife and often include public access for hunting. We know from public rhetoric how AG Knudsen and Gov Gianforte "lean" on that issue. It's highly likely that candidate Brown's position is even more strongly opposed to conservation easements.

Unfortunately the current atmosphere of tribalism has infected the judicial elections, which heretofore have been mostly apolitical. Sad indeed! :(

Looks like the state Supreme Court is going to be the last “check and balance” against a potential legislative supermajority trying to make changes to the state constitution.

Think about that then think about all the legislation that was horrible for the Montana sporting public last session. The crazy-chit buck isn’t going to stop at the Governors’s desk like it used to.

Last edited:
Back