Guns , girlfriend and married

I started dating my wife long before I started shooting/hunting ( I am an adult onset hunter). BUT I had a passion at the time ( somewhat diminished now) for motorcycles. I told when we started dating that there are very few things that I am passionate about but I am pretty fierce about those and that forcing me into an ultimatum would go badly for her. There are times that I haven't had a MC for practical/money/dad reasons but those were my choice solely. As mentioned above (and I will go further and say this DOES apply to wives as well) any partner who gives such an ultimatum or "forbids" purchases/activities is about control and not so much with the love and caring. My wife has a lot of interests that I don't share, a few of them cost some money. They make her happy so they are "her things".....in return she doesn't question hunting on my part because she knows what it means to me.

If I did it's because she bought me one or more to replace them...

Truth is either the guns or girlfriend can be replaced.

A few on here need to respect that Tom is trying to work around a language barrier and be more patient/considerate.

Had guns for 40 years, current GF for 10. Math says she knew what she was getting with me. Would be pretty silly of her to come out now and make some demands about guns...... I knew from day one she had no interest in hunting or guns. She knew from day one if she wants to vacation to New York or D.C. to take her kids or go with her girlfriends. It's pretty simple stuff to figure out....

Never been in that scenario. My wife had a 9mm and a hunters safety card before I met her. Seeing how integral firearms are to my life, I would never date or marry someone who was not OK with guns.

Now let’s say I was dating someone who was previously OK with guns and then they asked me to give them up. That would be the end of the relationship. But maybe if guns are not that important to you, then maybe it’s worth considering.

Maybe a compromise is in order? Store your guns in a friend’s safe rather than at your residence?

Hell No, get to walking she ain't worth it if she wants to change who you are. Been there myself, used to get rolled eyes and cold shoulder if i was going to go hunting the next morning. That was in college, plenty of fish in the sea. Now the hard part is getting to go on a hunting trip without the wife.

Yep.

I've sold guns to buy her Christmas presents & pay bills when we were broke.

Guns are tools & toys. Relationships are real life.
I married late in life. I was 28, she was 29. I had not been Dave Ramsey with my money, but I did have quite an armory in the closet. Hunting guns, collecting guns and some trading/selling guns.
She asked me, "What are you going to do with all those?"
"Uhhmmm....I dunno, hunt? ...shoot?"

Soon after combining households, paydays got a bit tight.
I came home from work and she was going over books. "To pay bills and make next payday, we need $???.??."
I went to the closet. Grabbed a couple of trader/sellers and said, "Be right back!"
A couple of hours later, I handed her the requested funds plus and also set a different trader/seller back into the closet armory.

That was 42 years ago!

To this day, the most restrictive question she's ever asked when requesting firearms funding is, "Can it wait until payday?" ...and that was only once!
It could.
I did.
It was still there payday.
We never starved or wanted.
Even now, I'm fixing to order an AR lower! Just need to find a FFL!
We're snowbirds and currently reside in South Texas where the winter air does NOT hurt your face! LOL!

Marry well!
Live happy!
Include her in everything...or at least offer!
Support her hobbies.
Yes! That means hunting and fishing!

Make a point to plan a hunt/fish trip especially with her in mind at least once a year.
My wife couldn't care less about hunting, though she WILL eat anything I bring home. (I forgot! Except feral hogs! She won't touch, cook or eat feral pork! Over 30 pounds on the hoof and I leave 'em where they fall! I won't eat that nasty crap either!)
Mention "crappie" fishing and she'll burn the house down getting ready!

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back