Guns , girlfriend and married

Man. I procured 99% my guns before I got married. She knew what I had. Same as I knew about her shoes. Has she bought a few since then ( 15 years ago)??? probably... Have I bought a few guns ??? yes...

No. Nor we would I ask her to give up something. If you don’t like it now it will get worse. I have been married 1 time. This year will be 34 years. My wife doesn’t do guns, or hunting. But she understands how important it is to me. It’s never been a problem. My girls don’t hunt and don’t shoot. My wife has a few things like craft fairs, stamping and making greeting cards. I don’t understand it but she enjoys it. So I am happy for her and support her. You can’t expect people to change for you. If it’s wrong now it’ll be worse later. Like a catholic marrying a JW or a Jewish marrying an LDS thinking one will drop their belief and join yours. It’s asking for problems.

If already married and for some unexplained reason my wife did a 180 and truly expected me to give up guns, then the guns would go - marriage is for life - she and the kids are more important than any possession.

If in the alternative, not yet married, dating a girlfriend who stuck to such a demand, then time to move on and find someone new, no sense being with someone who expects you to give up lawful interests and hobbies for them - find someone who supports you in what you love (and return the favor) and you will find the right one - start horse-trading things one another have to give up to make it work is just an expensive and painful path to a bad relationship - divorce ain't cheap.

thanks for the heads up guys----

misunderstood

please, carry on :)

Last edited:
I had a discussion with my girlfriend (now wife) a couple months into dating She wasn’t anti-hunting or anti-gun, just didn’t like them.

it was a polite conversation but I remember saying nicely that “I’m not willing to give up my shooting sports and hunting. Please be aware of that now”. 12 years later and she still loves me 😁

she even enjoys going to the range now 👍

if it’s a “give them up or I’m gone” ultimatum, that’s the first of many........

be ready to have your nuts in a jar on display for her and her friends 😁

When I first started dating my now GF of 3.5 years, I was in the process of building at AR15 for the first time. Keep in mind, this was during a time of some very high profile mass shootings that used AR15s, so the phrase "AR 15 Assault Rifle" was being thrown around a ton in the news.

My GF came over, and when she arrived I was in the basement working on the gun. She asked what I was doing before she got there, and I decided that it was time to broach the topic of my firearm ownership. She knew I hunted but I wasn't totally sure how she felt about guns yet. I told her the truth, that was "working on a gun", hoping the questioning would end there. It did not end there.

She asked "what kind of gun?"

and I said "oh just an AR15", in attempt to downplay it as much as I could.

She kind of had a long pause and then asked "Isn't that the gun that everyone hates right now?"

I winced a little bit, "yeaaah"

She just laughed and said "thats funny" and couldn't have cared less. Knew she was keeper right then and there.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back