Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Gunman dies, 5 injured

ELKCHSR

Don't profile because ???

Gunman dies, 5 injured at Ohio school
By JOE MILICIA, Associated Press Writer

A 14-year-old suspended student opened fire in a downtown high school Wednesday before killing himself, and five people were taken to hospitals, authorities said. After the shooting, shaken teens called their parents on cell phones, most to reassure but in at least one case with terrifying news: "Mom, I got shot."

Mayor Frank Jackson said the three teens and two adults were hurt. He said the children were in "stable, good condition," and the adults were in "a little elevated condition."

The shooter was enrolled at the SuccessTech Academy alternative school but had been suspended Monday for fighting, said Charles Blackwell, president of SuccessTech's student-parent organization.

Blackwell said the shooter entered the high school, a converted five-story office building, and gradually worked his way up through the first two floors of administrative offices to the third floor of classrooms.

"Nobody knows how he got in," he said.

Student Doneisha LeVert, who hid in a closet with two other students after she heard a "Code Blue" alert over the loudspeaker, said the shooter had threatened students Friday.

"He's crazy. He threatened to blow up our school. He threatened to stab everybody," she said.

Ronnell Jackson, 15, said he saw a shooter running down a school hallway.

"He was about to shoot me, but I got out just in time," he said. "He was aiming at me I got out just in time."

LeVert said she heard about 10 shots.

"I heard gunshots but I just thought someone was banging a book on the desk," said Rasheem Smith, 15. He soon realized there was a shooting and told his classmates to flee down the stairs.

Tammy Mundy, 38, who has a son and daughter at the school, told The Plain Dealer that her daughter called when the shooting started.

"She said, 'Mom they're shooting in here, kids are running out, I'm hiding in the closet,'" Mundy told the newspaper.

Then she called her 18-year-old son, Darnell Rodgers, on his cell phone, and he told her he had been shot in the arm.

"He said, 'Mom, I got shot,'" Mundy told the newspaper.

Rodgers' girlfriend, 17-year-old Lateisha Riddlehill, who hid in a bathroom during the shootings, confirmed that Rodgers had been shot in the elbow. She said he told her he was going to be fine.

The mayor said the other two teens injured were a boy and a girl, both 14, and that the girl had fallen and hurt her knee while running out of the school.

A hospital spokeswoman said Rodgers was listed in stable condition. David Kachadourian, 57, was in good condition, and a 42-year-old man was in surgery and his condition unavailable. The other two injured teens were taken to a children's hospital, which would not release their names, ages or conditions.

Students stood outside the building, many in tears, hugging each other and on cell phones. Others shouted at reporters with TV cameras to leave them alone. Family members also stood outside, anxiously waiting for their children to be released.

"I'm scared. I'm hoping no more people got hurt," Ronnell Jackson said.

The shooting occurred across the street from the FBI office in downtown Cleveland, and students were being sent to the FBI site.

"There are a lot of emergency vehicles," said spokesman Scott Wilson. "They're just trying to sort things out right now."

Wilson said he had no information on the shooting.

SuccessTech Academy is an alternative high school in the Cleveland city school district that emphasizes technology and entrepreneurship. It is is housed on several floors of the district's downtown Cleveland Lakeside Avenue administration building.

"It's a shining beacon for the Cleveland Metropolitan School System," said John Zitzner, founder and president of E City Cleveland, a nonprofit group aimed at teaching business skills to inner-city teens. "It's orderly, it's disciplined, it's calm, it's focused."

The school, opened five years ago, ranks in the middle of the state's ratings for student performance. Its graduation rate is 94 percent, well above the district's rate of 55 percent

Not to be twisted ... but I never un derstand how a Gunman can't mow more people over when they start shooting up a crowded school.

I know, I would fail a Phyc. test... but really.

Sorry to hear about something like this happening again.

Every time this happens, it strengthens the gun laws and rights to carry rules

I would bet it won't be many more and any teacher who wishes to carry a gun to school will be able to

What a way to have to prove a point to the anti's that their zero policy of guns in school just doesn't work

I would bet it won't be many more and any teacher who wishes to carry a gun to school will be able to

Uhhhhhhhhh 100 more can happen and "teachers" will never be packin'. I would lay retirement coin on that. But I'm sure they are gonig to tighten other area's up.... Like that works though...

Elkchsr, can you tell me how in the hell this has anything to do with profiling? Sorry, you lost me.:confused:

Elkchsr, can you tell me how in the hell this has anything to do with profiling? Sorry, you lost me.:confused:

The Cheese thinks that people with names like
  • Doneisha
  • Ronnell
  • Rasheem
  • Darnell
  • Lateisha

Should be "profiled" because they have names that don't sound like people that look like him.....

People like The Cheese use the term "profiling" to allow them to be Racist.

Do you remember when those white boys had the shootout with the cops in Wyoming a few years back that was caught on video? From less than 10' 2 bad guys and 2 cops fired more than 20 rounds and no-one was hit. I spent some time watching videos of many shootings and the evidence shows that folks are incredibly bad shots in bad situations. More often than not, the shooters actually close their eyes-just like when I....
Anyway, I think a fella like moosie might get me only if I had bone on my forehead to keep his attention.

Your probably right Oscar

But they will still keep pushing and trying to get it thru and with each new case the answer will become more obvious

I did a little research on who was pushing for this type of legislation and there are millions of hits, easy one to follow, mostly blogs from what I saw

Some of the better articles I found on the subject, mostly pretty old, but I would assume there will be a new rash of them soon enough

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-3945815.html

http://johnrlott.tripod.com/LAtimespiece.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15142930

Here's one I found from Dave Kopel on how a few other countries delt with it, seems to have worked for them as far as I can tell

http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel200409022215.asp

Student gunman in Ohio warned of attack
By JOE MILICIA, Associated Press Writer

A high school student said Thursday that he and classmates had warned their principal about threats by a classmate who shot and wounded four people before killing himself, and believed the attack could have been prevented.

The student, Rasheem Smith, said on CBS' "Early Show" that despite their warnings about the student who opened fire Wednesday, Asa H. Coon, principal Johneita Durant told them she was too busy.

"I told my friends in the class that he had a gun and stuff," said Smith, 15. "He was talking about doing it last week. I don't know why they didn't say nothing.

"We talked to the principal. She would try to get us all in the office, but it would always be too busy for it to happen," Smith said.

Responding on the show, schools CEO Eugene Sanders said the district would investigate. "We're going to review the entire situation over the course of today and tomorrow, make a determination of what has indeed occurred, and then see what the appropriate recommendations are, so we can move forward on Monday morning," he said.

The Associated Press made several attempts to reach Durant at SuccessTech Academy after the shootings, but she did not make herself available for comment.

Armed with two revolvers, Coon opened fire at the alternative school, wounding two students and two teachers. He had a history of mental problems and was known for cursing at teachers and bickering with students.

Police found a duffel bag stocked with ammunition and three knives in a bathroom, but no suicide note, Police Chief Michael McGrath said.

People at Coon's home late Wednesday declined to comment.

All classes in the city school district were canceled Thursday, and school officials said counseling would be available for students at recreation centers throughout Cleveland.

Coon, who was suspended Monday for fighting with a classmate and was under suspension at the time of the shootings, had warned classmates of an attack, but none took him seriously.

"When he got suspended, he was like `I got something for you all,'" said student Frances Henderson, who said she often got into arguments with Coon. "I guess this is what he had."

Coon, who was white, stood out in the predominantly black school for dressing in a goth style, wearing a black trench coat, black boots, a dog collar and chains, she said.

Henderson, who is black, she said she didn't believe race played a role in the shootings.

"He's crazy. He threatened to blow up our school. He threatened to stab everybody," said Doneisha LeVert, 14. "We didn't think nothing of it."

Police believe Coon, wearing a Marilyn Manson shirt, black jeans and black nail polish, targeted the two teachers he shot Wednesday.

Coon's troubles seemed to come to a breaking point this week. Students said Monday's fight was over God — Coon told his classmates he didn't believe in God and instead worshipped rocker Marilyn Manson.

Coon had mental health problems, spent time in two juvenile facilities and threatened to commit suicide while in a mental health facility, according to juvenile court records obtained by The Plain Dealer newspaper.

The Department of Children and Family Services was called to Coon's home in 2000 because he had burns on his arms and scratches on his forehead, the newspaper said.

When he was 12, Coon was charged in juvenile court with domestic violence. His mother, Lori, had called police and told them her son slapped her and called her a vulgar name. She had been trying to intervene in a fight between Coon and his twin sister, The Plain Dealer reported.

He was also suspended from school last year for attempting to hurt a student, the newspaper said.

"He used to cuss all the teachers out," said Henderson, 14.

The first person shot, 14-year-old Michael Peek, had punched Coon in the face right before the shootings began, Smith said.

Coon "came out of the bathroom and bumped Mike and he (Mike) punched him in his face. Mike started walking. He shot Mike in the side," said Smith.

Darnell Rodgers, 18, said he realized he had been shot when he felt his arm burning.

Rodgers was treated for a graze wound to his right elbow. He told NBC's "Today" on Thursday he didn't believe he was targeted.

"He just fired the gun," Rodgers said. "He didn't say anything."

Michael Grassie, a 42-year-old history teacher, was hospitalized in fair condition late Wednesday after about 90 minutes of surgery.

Math teacher David Kachadourian, who was treated for a minor wound to the back of one shoulder, knew of no reason why Coon would target him.

"I never felt personally threatened or personally at risk," said Kachadourian, who had Coon is his beginning algebra class. "I had concerns about him, yes. He seemed like an angry young man. I did not fear for my own safety."

SuccessTech Academy, with about 240 students, is an alternative high school in the public school district that stresses technology and entrepreneurship.

___

Associated Press writers James Hannah, Terry Kinney, M.R. Kropko, John Seewer and Thomas J. Sheeran and Andrew Welsh-Huggins contributed to this report.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back