Gun Show Etiquette

I feel like gunshows now are where people go who tried selling their used stuff to gunshops for premium prices, got low offers and are trying to sell their junk for what they they think it’s worth. I think lots of it gets boxed up and taken home on Sunday.

Last edited:
I feel like gunshows now are where people go who tried selling their used stuff to gunshops for premium prices, got low offers and are trying to sell their junk for what they they think it’s worth. I think lots of it gets boxed up and taken home on Sunday.
We had a pretty cool pawnshop about a decade & half ago that were dealers for Wby, Sako, Rem, & Ruger. Always carried an impressive inventory for the high end of those product lines...the two Defoor brothers knew their stuff.

They had a back room of junk that was their gun show inventory.

With the way guns are currently selling "deals" are kind of a thing of the past at gun shows or anywhere else. Nice thing about the better gun shows is the sheer volume and wide range of stuff you get to see. Although not recently, I've found some nice pieces and gotten some decent deals over the years at shows.

I go, I leave frustrated, I say never again, repeat.
Was looking for a plinker revolver. All were more than new off gun broker. And most were very worn. I get the bird in the hand but I am a little more patient.

I used to think that some of that stuff had been to more gun shows than I have.

I've been to the Tanner gun shows twice, maybe 10 years ago in Denver and then maybe 5 years ago in Pueblo. There were no deals to be had and lots of junk for sale. I don't have the need to go to another one. However, if you do go, understand that the real "show" at a gun show is the people-watching, that alone may be worth the entry fee...
Agreed on Tanner. When we lived in Cheyenne we used to go. I never go without a reason, and I stick to that. I also enjoy looking around. You find some interesting stuff and people. It also helped that the Tanner show had the Christmas and cooking show right there. We made a weekend out of it. It was fun.

Last two guns I bought were at an auction. Still think I got deals there.

I've been to the Tanner gun shows twice, maybe 10 years ago in Denver and then maybe 5 years ago in Pueblo. There were no deals to be had and lots of junk for sale. I don't have the need to go to another one. However, if you do go, understand that the real "show" at a gun show is the people-watching, that alone may be worth the entry fee...
You got that right! Same thing with flea market junkies. Watching them is more fun than going to the circus.

I went to the one in Hamilton last year and it was kind of a dud. I did get a $20 box of core lokt and a $25 Daisy .22 with a composite stock glued on where the original had broken off. It shot ok all the way out to 15 yards. I regrettably managed to break the fine repair stock in the meantime.

1675370048923.jpeg

I’ll probably still spend the 7 or whatever bucks to get in and look at the overpriced crap they’ve got this year too.

I went to the one in Hamilton last year and it was kind of a dud. I did get a $20 box of core lokt and a $25 Daisy .22 with a composite stock glued on where the original had broken off. It shot ok all the way out to 15 yards. I regrettably managed to break the fine repair stock in the meantime.

View attachment 263217

I’ll probably still spend the 7 or whatever bucks to get in and look at the overpriced crap they’ve got this year too.
The Hamilton shows are mostly social for me. I run into lots of people I know. Sometimes grab a deal.. A friend always has a display of really nice leverguns. I spend time trying to talk him out of one of his Model 700 .222 Remingtons. mtmuley

View attachment 263217

I bought a stock for one off Numrich Arms. You need a REALLLY long screwdriver.

I go a couple of times a year to either Spokane or Post Falls. I hardly ever buy anything. I do the rock pit crawl on the way home and pick up brass.

I'd rather watch reality TV with the wife than go back
Ouch! Haha! That's a painful challenge! I'm suffering through "The Good Doctor" - has me hesitate whether to visit the upcoming show or "Enjoy" another episode...

The Hamilton shows are mostly social for me. I run into lots of people I know. Sometimes grab a deal.. A friend always has a display of really nice leverguns. I spend time trying to talk him out of one of his Model 700 .222 Remingtons. mtmuley
I’m hoping it’ll be a little better this year as the worst of the scarcity days seem to be behind us. Also believe I went on the final day last year. Guessing there will be better ammo deals the earlier you go.

I rarely go to an ordinary gunshow but will go to specialty shows on occasion. That said, when at a "normal" show, the interesting stuff will generally walk in the door. So watch the door, watch the parking lot if you can, and never hesitate to ask a guy walking around wiht something, what is it he has and could you please take a look at it. I have gotten a few very good deals at shows, but never over the table. I bought a gun once in the parking lot - I knew the owner was coming and though we were scheduled to meet at a prearranged time and location, I didn't want to risk loosing it before he got to the door. By the time I forked over the money, three guys were in line behind me in case I blinked and three more made me offers before I could get back in the building with it. Still have that rifle. Bought a Lyman STS 25x of a guy with it on a 52 Winchester. Asked if he would sell just the scope. He would. Got it for maybe 40-50% of current retail prices at the time. I still have that too. Probably should have bought the M52 and flipped that, but it was a bolt gun.

I’m hoping it’ll be a little better this year as the worst of the scarcity days seem to be behind us. Also believe I went on the final day last year. Guessing there will be better ammo deals the earlier you go.
Always the overpriced ammo from Armscor there. By the looks of Newsom's new building in Stevi, a price reduction isn't on the way. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back