Gun Safes?

i agree with @VikingsGuy on the actuarial approach to fire

good renters insurance works, and probably regardless of whether the guns are okay, if my home or apartment go up in flames i probably won't be hunting that fall for a multitude of reasons anyway

but i do tend to think about my social responsibility to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, so i do want something well suited for burglary - and in that realm i'm always reminded that theft is often something of opportunity, as long as it's just a little bit too much trouble to steal it, it probably won't be stolen. a rather basic safe that at least can't be knocked over or crow barred and you're stopping 99.99% of theft.

This only works if you feel as though your firearms are tools, and not faily heirlooms, etc. The increased fire-rating also means increased security in terms of weight of the safe, so that should be factored in as well, mr numbers. ;)
I agree but I figured given OPs statement the guns were worth less than $500 each and gathered from other posts he and his family did not grow up hunting I just assumed heirloom wasn't his concern. But you are right - insurance doesn't help with the irreplaceable. (unfortunately, I am not convince most gun safes do either)

This only works if you feel as though your firearms are tools, and not faily heirlooms, etc. The increased fire-rating also means increased security in terms of weight of the safe, so that should be factored in as well, mr numbers. ;)
My thoughts exactly.

I agree but I figured given OPs statement the guns were worth less than $500 each and for other posts he and his family did not grow up hunting I just assumed heirloom wasn't his concern. But you are right - insurance doesn't help with the irreplaceable. (unfortunately, I am not convince most gun safes do either)

@TOGIEGOAT's point on theft & weight is warranted as well.

Safe's aren't impervious to damage, but they add that level of comfort that hopefully you can get the fire put out, and the firearms are safe before you hit the fire-saftey ratining. It's like using you seatbelt while driving defensively - It won't stop the accident, but will make the outcome more bearable.

Get the best quality safe you can afford and get one Much bigger than you think you will need or want. You will end up putting other things besides guns in it. We store titles, jewelry, coins and other valuables in there. I bought a very nice 40 gun safe many years ago and it was full almost immediately. I ended up buying a second safe a few years ago and it is so nice having the extra room.

Get the best quality safe you can afford and get one Much bigger than you think you will need or want. You will end up putting other things besides guns in it. We store titles, jewelry, coins and other valuables in there. I bought a very nice 40 gun safe many years ago and it was full almost immediately. I ended up buying a second safe a few years ago and it is so nice having the extra room.
Yup divide gun capacity and fire safety rating by 3 and you are on the right track. It's worse than trying to actually get 2 men in a 2-man tent.

I agree but I figured given OPs statement the guns were worth less than $500 each and for other posts he and his family did not grow up hunting I just assumed heirloom wasn't his concern. But you are right - insurance doesn't help with the irreplaceable. (unfortunately, I am not convince most gun safes do either)

Yeah if any thing your value was high...

Rem 870
Moss 835
Remington 700 with burris (or new beater gun, tikka in .308?)
Knight muzzy
Pump .22
Stevens .410

The .22 and .410 are my great grand fathers... cool... but they were farm beater guns and not in particularly good condition.

Buy a cheapish safe while renting, then when you settle into a place for the long term, get a good safe. Even decent safes need to be bolted down, so if you can't do that I wouldn't spend a ton of money. Good safes are also very heavy, which you aren't going to want to move.
My favorite safe is made by American Security, they are a legit safe company who builds all types of safes. They use a lightweight concrete fill on their better gun safes, far superior to drywall lining. I was set on about a 32" wide safe that could realistically hold about 12 guns, it weighed 1300 lbs. That is about as close to a real safe as you can get in a gun safe. I ended up with a higher end champion that was 50% off at sportsmans years ago, I like it but it's no Amsec.
For now, go get a cheap costco special that wont take 5 people to move.

Not directly related, but instead of getting one with a plug in it so you can install a dehumidifier, I just save all the silica packets I get and toss them in the bottom of the safe.

Definitely get a big safe. I bought a 16 gun, for my 10 guns and they are packed in way too tight. Especially if you start storing important docs in them.

I myself like the digital keypad. If I need to get into it in a hurry or in the dark, I can do it without having to mess with the dial. Six quick presses of the buttons and it opens up. Also agree with get bigger than what you think you need based on advertised size. There always something else you can put in it to keep it safe.
Don’t get me wrong the digital ones are really convenient it just feels super cheap. That’s just my opinion though.

@wllm1313 just buy and old bank and convert the vault into a war room. That would be pretty bitchin...

Get one after your move. I have a digital keypad on mine, it also has a key for when the keypad fubars. Mine is fireproof and heavy, I lift the door off the hinges, separate door from safe for moving. Look closely @ washers, spacers, ball bearings that drop into the hinges, those may fall out when moving. You can make a cheap locking cabinet heavier by putting weights on the floor of cabinet. Sorry to hear you are leaving CO, hurry back.

Good video that is an eye opener for what most safes offer for protection from theft:

Also, to the debate of digital vs analog. Digital is fast and easy, but will wear out eventually. Analog should last longer than you without failure. Just something to ponder.

I have a cheap stack on gun cabinet and it works great for what I use it for: keeping guns out of tiny hands. I am not concerned with fire or theft. However, if I had the money I would probably buy an actual safe. Definitely get one bigger than you think.

Good video that is an eye opener for what most safes offer for protection from theft:
I am not disagreeing with the general point, but seems to lack context. I wonder how many thieves ignore my screeching alarm, ignore the voice of the alarm service informing them the cops have been called, ignore the sound of me racking my 12 gauge, ignore my lab bringing them a tennis ball to play catch :) , find my safe, figure out how to tip it over in a room with tiny footprint and where safe bolted to concrete floor, and then take 1:20 to break in. I am feeling pretty good at this point ;)

I am not disagreeing with the general point, but seems to lack context. I wonder how many thieves ignore my screeching alarm, ignore the voice of the alarm service informing them the cops have been called, ignore the sound of me racking my 12 gauge, ignore my lab bringing them a tennis ball to play catch :) , find my safe, figure out how to tip it over in a room with tiny footprint and where safe bolted to concrete floor, and then take 1:20 to break in. I am feeling pretty good at this point ;)

Hahah, the lab is what will scare them off! My dog is no different, he'll probably come up with his tail tucked first, like hey are you friendly and want to play ball while you steal everything but the balls?

All valid points, but it could happen. For example, from my understanding, most police are slow to respond to bugler alarms due to nuisance tripping. You could be on vacation, alarm set, but they could still attack it.

Also, people get creative. I've seen/heard stories for example, of thieves ripping a safe out of a basement with a tow strap and a truck.

At the end of the day, if you're content with the protections in place that's all that matters. We could buy bank level safes, but if someone really wanted in they could get in with enough time. That's what it really comes down to, are you happy with the level provided knowing no safe is 100% unbreakable.

Hahah, the lab is what will scare them off! My dog is no different, he'll probably come up with his tail tucked first, like hey are you friendly and want to play ball while you steal everything but the balls?

She's got a good "stranger bark" as they break in. But once in the house, everybody is a friend. I joke with my wife that our best chance of our lab being an effective guard dog is if the burglar trips on one of her balls and hits his head on the floor :)

I agree, if a safe can be taken, or if they have 15 minutes and no one around to hear, an angle grinder will take care of even high end safes.

She's got a good "stranger bark" as they break in. But once in the house, everybody is a friend. I joke with my wife that our best chance of our lab being an effective guard dog is if the burglar trips on one of her balls and hits his head on the floor :)

I agree, if a safe can be taken, or if they have 15 minutes and no one around to hear, an angle grinder will take care of even high end safes.
Ha! I keep mine locked up when I'm not home so he'd be extra unless!

One of the coolest safe installs I saw once, they poured the entire safe in concrete and rebar after setting it in place. Door is obviously still available for attack, but that was a cool install.

I wouldn’t want one that doesn’t have a key pad. My brother has the turn dial and it’s a huge pain. Now what are the chances of the digital key pad failing I don’t know.
Mine is a Winchester 24 gun and have 13 guns in it. Only 5 with scopes. It’d be hard to fit another one in there. Only have room to use 1 shelf at the top. Also the side pockets on the door suck because they’re too narrow to fit much in. The pistol holders are probably useful but I don’t own one to see how it fits. The safe difficult to move but not impossible. I haven’t bolted it because may want to move it in the future and I’m not worrying about someone walking out with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back