Gun Safes?

AvidIndoorsman

Looking to buy my first safe, 8-10 rifles/shotguns max. I currently own 6 but giving myself some room to grow.

Anything I should be looking for or steering away from? What's a good price point for a decent safe.

None of my guns are worth more than $500-600 so this isn't as much about keeping criminals out as keeping out of the reach of future tiny hands.

Wont be able to bolt it to the floor for a while, as we are renting.

In my experience, buy a safe significantly larger (in terms of stated number of guns it can hold) than what you think. If you already have 6, including mounted scopes, you will be tight in a rated 8-9 gun safe. Buy a buy 14-20 and it will comfortable fit 10-15. You're looking at spending $500-$700+ given your needs.

Check these guys out. I first spoke with one of them a few years ago at an RMEF event here in MN (back when they were still int eh product development stages), and most recently saw them at Pheasantfest. It is a really solid looking product, albeit somewhat spartan, but certainly functional. I think they said the heaviest piece would be ~150lbs. I could certainly see it if you wanted to be more mobile, and if you wanted your safe upstairs.....

https://www.steelheadoutdoors.com/

In my experience, buy a safe significantly larger (in terms of stated number of guns it can hold) than what you think. If you already have 6, including mounted scopes, you will be tight in a rated 8-9 gun safe. Buy a buy 14-20 and it will comfortable fit 10-15. You're looking at spending $500-$700+ given your needs.

I would tend to agree, they are convenient places to store other valuables as well.....

Here is a good source of information on all things "Gun Safes"....if you have the time. Good advice above - allow for additional space, determine a budget, and in your case, make sure it can be readily moved. Hope this helps...

Agree w/ @homers - get a larger safe. Rule of thumb is cut the advertised number in half to deal with scoped rifles, etc. I've got a Liberty safe & it's been perfectly fine. You will want to be sure to get one that's rated highly for fire, as well as secure storage. Get one that requires a combination (either electronic or dial) and provides the space you really need.

Agreed if they rate it for 8-9 it's like 6 single shot .22's and three handguns.

I just got a Winchester 26 gun safe from Tractor Supply a few weeks ago. They gave me a deal I couldn't pass up (think 50% off) due to some subpar customer service from them. It's actually pretty decent for the price. Guns are nothing but tools for me so I don't care about protecting them from burglars or fire. I wanted something to keep them organized and away from the kiddos. I've got about 7 guns in one half of the safe and the other half is working well for storing ammo, optics, etc. At 365 pounds it's heavy enough that nobody is going to walk out of the house with it, but light enough that I was able to get it down into my basement by myself. It also has keys so that if (when) the keypad quits working it will still be functional.

I bought mine at Costco when it went on sale. Don’t remember the brand though. No complaints with it. Most of the heavier safes you can remove the door for transporting up stairs and stuff. Still a pain but better than one piece. I agree with the increased number, I swear the rated number is the number of 2” diameter dowels the safe will fit.

Check these guys out. I first spoke with one of them a few years ago at an RMEF event here in MN (back when they were still int eh product development stages), and most recently saw them at Pheasantfest. It is a really solid looking product, albeit somewhat spartan, but certainly functional. I think they said the heaviest piece would be ~150lbs. I could certainly see it if you wanted to be more mobile, and if you wanted your safe upstairs.....

https://www.steelheadoutdoors.com/
I have seen these in person - they are serious safes.

The first step for OP is to decide are you just looking for "child-safety" or if you want theft and fireproof. Big difference in cost and weight between the two. If you are looking for theft and fireproof then having something that disassembles like the steelhead is a great feature as you are still moving around and dealing with apartments. If you are just trying to "lock up" the guns from a simple access sense, then you can find lighter and cheaper options. And if going lighter cheaper you can always use more than one.

For example, up at our cabin I don't store guns but want them locked up when we are up there hunting etc. and I have two small-ish sheet metal gun storage "safes" that work perfect for that and were easy to carry up the stairs and fit easily in a closet. At home I have a full blown proper gun safe that took 3 guys to deliver and likely will stay with the house when we move.

I’ve also got a Liberty safe and it has been fine. One thing I learned is that some interior configurations are not well suited to longer shotguns, such as pumps, auto loaders, or even break open guns with 30” barrels. If you have more than a couple of those, make sure to pick an interior layout that accommodates them. Many layouts have a top shelf with an insufficient number of cut outs for longer guns.

Also, the Goldenrod dehumidifier works great, so pick a safe with in internal plug for that.

I have a cannon scout 24 gun safe. I only have two scoped rifles a 22 and 3 shotguns on one side. Ammo, optics and all of our important documents are on the other. It’s pretty tight but I could organize it a lot better than it is and fit several more on the one side. It has an internal plug for a dehumidifier, and so so storage on the door. Honestly the only thing I don’t like about it is the digital keypad. It feels really cheap. So if I had it to do over I’d get a dial.

I myself like the digital keypad. If I need to get into it in a hurry or in the dark, I can do it without having to mess with the dial. Six quick presses of the buttons and it opens up. Also agree with get bigger than what you think you need based on advertised size. There always something else you can put in it to keep it safe.

My inflation adjusted 2 cents. An actuarial approach to value the fireproof component of gun safe . . . $5,000 value of OP's guns x 0.2% chance of home fire of any kind in a given year in the US x 5 years living in MA x 5% chance that both the fire was enough to damage the guns without protection and the 30-60 minute window of safety provided by most gun safes would be sufficient to protect the guns = $2.50. So, get decent renter's insurance and get the safe with the other features (size, cost, availability, lock type, interior options, weight, level of "theft proof", etc) that meet your needs and don't sweat fire safety rating.

Don't get the cheap metal stackon type safes as they don't hold up well. Had one while moving and when it showed up to the house something happened and the key wouldn't work so my dad and I had to break into it with crowbars.

None of my guns are worth more than $500-600 so this isn't as much about keeping criminals out as keeping out of the reach of future tiny hands.

Wont be able to bolt it to the floor for a while, as we are renting.

:unsure::D;)

The fire and theft proof safes are crazy heavy. Don't know that I'd want to go that route if renting (especially if on upper level).

My inflation adjusted 2 cents. An actuarial approach to value the fireproof component of gun safe . . . $5,000 value of OP's guns x 0.2% chance of home fire of any kind in a given year in the US x 5 years living in MA x 5% chance that both the fire was enough to damage the guns without protection and the 30-60 minute window of safety provided by most gun safes would be sufficient to protect the guns = $2.50. So, get decent renter's insurance and get the safe with the other features (size, cost, availability, lock type, interior options, weight, level of "theft proof", etc) that meet your needs and don't sweat fire safety rating.

This only works if you feel as though your firearms are tools, and not faily heirlooms, etc. The increased fire-rating also means increased security in terms of weight of the safe, so that should be factored in as well, mr numbers. ;)

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back