Caribou Gear

gun safes

Eyeguy

I bought a 520 pound, 64 gun safe for a black friday deal. We have reserved a dolly cart rated for 800 pounds to move it down into the basement. Do any of you have experience with this? I have 5-6 guys willing to help. Any tips or words of wisdom? Should be an adventure.....:rolleyes:

Any tips or words of wisdom?

When everyone is taking their places to move the safe down the stairs, stay on the top end....should disaster strike, gravity will quickly separate you from the ensuing carnage.

I helped move one into an old basement once. Things got hairy when the stair stringers started crackling. It's not fun. Good luck!

When everyone is taking their places to move the safe down the stairs, stay on the top end....should disaster strike, gravity will quickly separate you from the ensuing carnage.

I helped move one into an old basement once. Things got hairy when the stair stringers started crackling. It's not fun. Good luck!

:W:

Now that right there made me about spit my drink on my keyboard!!! LOL!!!

I have considered paying the extra delivery fee to have someone bring the safe into my house.

I did this with a 72 gun safe. It was worth the cost, and the tip I gave the crew of 7 guys it took to get it down the stairs.

520lbs? Piece of cake, tell 2-3 of the guys they are only there for moral support.

Seriously, this is no more difficult than moving a refrigerator. When the safes get up over 1000lbs it can get a little tricky.

They have a dolly that will basically walk down the stairs for heavy loads such as a safe. You still have to hold onto the handles and guide it down. Make sure you stairs are supported well

520lbs? Piece of cake, tell 2-3 of the guys they are only there for moral support.

Seriously, this is no more difficult than moving a refrigerator. When the safes get up over 1000lbs it can get a little tricky.

I like your confidence. Also....how far are you from Lincoln and what are you doing friday.....ha! JK man.

I would assume you don't have a walk out basement as I do, I have two safes one for shotguns and one for rifles and have french doors in the basement and that made moving the safes almost a one man job with a two wheeled dolly. Good luck with the moving and stay uphill.

I agree, 520lbs isn't a big deal with a cart.

Sorry I'm busy friday:D

I hired a security company who sold safes to move a safe from my neighbor's basement across the street into my house. It was around 700 lbs. Two guys and a power dolly, similar to this: http://www.spill911.com/cobrapro-sr-battery-powered-truck.html?gclid=CM-Wv9C-vskCFRCNaQodey8M1w

They said it was a piece of cake. They use that same dolly for the really big safes too to go up and down stairs. Always thought if I had to move something heavy, that power dolly would be the way to go.

I just moved mine for the 3rd time! I think mine is 700lbs. Getting it down the steps is a lot easier than getting it up the steps at least at our house. take a couple 2x4s and run them the length of the steps(screw them in if you can) and slide the safe down. leave the packaging on if you can! we moved mine with 3 guys every time. On some of them you can take the door off also which is super heavy.

We just moved and I had to haul mine out of the basement in the old house and then up the stairs to the bonus room above the garage in the new house. Down the stairs is easy! you'll have fun when you try to get it back up ;) as for getting it down, it works well to get a pair of furniture lifting straps, tie them to the handles on the dolly, get two guys on top to hold on to the straps and one guy down to guide the safe, and then lower it one step at a time.

Be very careful, And watch your fingers!
If you can get under the stairs and brace them up a little with some 2x4's I would.
Have extra people on the downhill side to keep things steady and under control.

Back