Small gun safes

stevejfarms

I keep most of my guns somewhere other than my house. I have a handgun, shotgun, and an ar, for home protection, and whatever I may be working on in my reloading room. With liability and safety concerns I guess I need to get something for home. I figured a small biometric for the handgun in my nightstand. Then probably would need two smaller long gun safes as my reloading room is in the basement too far away if I need one in a hurry. I’ve noticed Harbor Freight has biometrics that are very reasonable, but don’t know if I should trust Harbor Freight quality. Fire rating isn’t that important thesse aren‘t heirlooms, I’ll let insurance protect in case of fire, and I don’t want to have to wrestle a fire proof one into my basement. Input from anyone with experience with cheaper safes or even locking cabinets would be appreciated.

Neighbor has the Hornady “rapid safe” gun locker that he keeps his grab n goes in under the bed. Think it holds two but seems pretty short for a shotgun unless it’s tactical style. He said it “wasn’t cheap”🤷🏻‍♂️. I also believe he said that Moutec (sp?) sells one similar as well but again you’d need to figure out the dimensions (esp. length) you need

I keep most of my guns somewhere other than my house. I have a handgun, shotgun, and an ar, for home protection, and whatever I may be working on in my reloading room. With liability and safety concerns I guess I need to get something for home. I figured a small biometric for the handgun in my nightstand. Then probably would need two smaller long gun safes as my reloading room is in the basement too far away if I need one in a hurry. I’ve noticed Harbor Freight has biometrics that are very reasonable, but don’t know if I should trust Harbor Freight quality. Fire rating isn’t that important thesse aren‘t heirlooms, I’ll let insurance protect in case of fire, and I don’t want to have to wrestle a fire proof one into my basement. Input from anyone with experience with cheaper safes or even locking cabinets would be appreciated.

I went with a locking cabinet, stack on. I can move it solo. I wanted it for liability and safety not property protection. Given your situation I might get a couple of those and a biometric for the night stand. IMHO 2 smaller ones is better than one big one as they are easier to maneuver

My brother is a retired fire insurance investigator. He says "fireproof" gun safes are a laughable joke. The safe may survive but contents are charcoal. I have a locking gun closet because the law requires it (and a necessity with little kids in the house). When I'm gone with the dogs on holidays the guns that don't go with me are stored somewhere else. I leave a couple of junkers in the closet for decoys to satisfy any burglars. There's a Marlin bolt action shotgun, a buggered up .303 1917 Enfield, and a J.C. Higgins pump shotgun with a piece of pipe brazed on the end where the choke blew off. Help yourself boys!

Last edited:
Check out Costco if you have one, sometimes good deals there, can get everything you're looking for there. Go w 2 smaller long gun safes (14 gun) as mentioned above...easier to move if necessary.

My J.C. Higgins pump 12ga is probably my favorite possession!

Just ordered a new 14 gun safe for myself for Christmas.

I went with this. Mostly because of young children in the house. Not gonna stop a dedicated burglar, or fire, but it keeps little hands away and is easily accessible without relying on electronics or finding a key. I also bought a cable so I could attach it to a vehicle seat when traveling. It also has holes for mounting to a fixed structure like the floor or a wall. Price was more than some others, but I didn’t want a key or electronics.image.jpg

I went with this. Mostly because of young children in the house. Not gonna stop a dedicated burglar, or fire, but it keeps little hands away and is easily accessible without relying on electronics or finding a key. I also bought a cable so I could attach it to a vehicle seat when traveling. It also has holes for mounting to a fixed structure like the floor or a wall. Price was more than some others, but I didn’t want a key or electronics.View attachment 204966
Love these. Have some produced by Vline. I really like not having to worry about batteries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back