Guided hunt/fish trip?

Summitthunting

My dad surprised me the other day, saying he wanted to take me on a guided hunt or fishing trip. Hes getting up there in years and wants to go do something different. We only hunt DIY so this will be all new to us. He would like to keep the cost around $4000 per person. Does anyone know of a Canadian moose hunt that can be done in that price range? If your dad offered this to you what would you pick?

Newfoundland moose and you can add a bear for a few hundred dollars. I have talked to Dave at Victoria Lodge. That's where I plan on going in the next year or so.

Though it's been a few years since I've looked at them, about the only moose trips I can remember in that price range (though I doube they are now) were in Alberta in farm country. If I had the same offer I'd be looking into going after caribou. I'd make sure it was at least a 2 bull area and also offer fishing and do both. I'd kick in some of my own money if needed and make it not less than a 2 week trip.

There was an article in Sports Afield a few months back that compared the caribou hunting in the various places that I found particularly informative. It focused on differences in weather, terrain, etc.

I agree with Pointer, caribou would be a pretty affordable hunt in some wild country.

I think a $4000 moose hunt will be a pretty big disappointment...

What about a fly out guided fishing trip in Alaska? Fly into the Brooks range and float out the Kobuk or Noatak river... WILD ass country and incredible fishing.

Plenty of lodges do salmon and off shore fishing packages here in AK as well in your price range.

Sheefish on the Kobuk River or Char on the Wiluk would be my top pick for Alaska adventure fishing. You fly to the end of the world then drop off it with a fly rod. It would be a trip of a lifetime no doubt.

Yeah I am with some of the other fellas a 4000 dollar moose may not be a great one. I am looking at New Foundland moose that is def your cheapest moose hunts out there and they are not bad. Very high success rates over there the better lodges up there are running around 6000. You can do a very nice bou hunt in AK for 4000 and take 2 bou and have an awesome time in some freaking awesome country.

I had a buddy and his dad go up there and hunt caribou in a 2 bou unit. They took 4 respectable animals. DIY, no guide. He said it was about $3K each. It took some research and planning but they got it done and had a great time. You'd probably have more fun with just your dad, no guide.

Although a moose hunt would be preferred (by me as well), it sounds like you have to sell your car these days to make it happen.

I think for around that price range you could have a pretty sweet moose hunt in NW Ontario. I've heard great things about Thousand Lakes Outposts, and I think they have a hunt in your price range. There are a number of others outfitters that would, too. Some very big bulls are coming out of this area of Canada. See my moose hunt story in the moose hunting forum. It was from just south of the border in Minnesota. You could do a hunt on a lake and have excellent fishing as well. Kind of a cast-and-blast sort of trip. If you are in good shape and careful not to shoot a bull too far from water, I think you and your dad could manage the trip without a guide. Moose hunting during the rut is not too difficult as long as you are in an area with animals and know how to call. Caribou would be pretty sweet, too, but calling a big, old, slobbering bull moose during the rut is something everyone should experience at least once!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back