Guess Hank's gauge.

That high has to move further east or north for that to happen Ken. I can only imagine how hot TX is.

Sun just popped out for a while and we ventured out to enjoy the green. Black to the south ,east and west.
Rainbows and puppies in the sky...LOL , for now. Odd wildflowers & weeds all over the place sprouting, with the grasses . The high plains are back.

Rio just got back from a recky ,drank a bucket of water and ate his dinner with muddy feet.
The booms off in the distance. For now.

IMG_0188.JPGIMG_0186.JPGIMG_0193.JPGIMG_0198.JPGIMG_0191.JPGIMG_0201.JPG
Another .25" yesterday.
Went out at sunrise when it stopped this morning and got some good pics.
The last one is an hour ago when the red radar cell hit here and I am posting before the power & or internet goes off again. My driveway is running.
For those lucky to have an AZ or NM tag this year, it is pouring all along the Mogollon Rim and the border today and all week it looks like.
Bet the streambed is flowing now and the tanks flushed out. Still cracking and rocking and rolling.

1.25" yesterday and more to come this afternoon. Flash flood watch thru midnight tonight.
Still most soaking in good. There are some puddles and wet spots but Rio did not come back this morning in mud boots. I could walk to the gauge without sliding. The toads were loud last night.
Some places got 4" plus in west NM and AZ.
Rio & I will make a mid-day run to the store.

I had a good morning watching Joni Mitchell @ Newport 2022. She is the best. Never got the credit she deserved. One tough cookie for a hippie gal. 78 and retaught herself to sing and play, again.
Lots of memories this morning. Good ones. Got to see her live twice in the early days.
8 tracks in the boat. My free time dreaming...

@hank4elk
Any of the AZ precip reaching the Mead watershed?
Looks to be heading into CO and Utah today too. I doubt any monsoon rains will fill Mead much. Most is from snowmelt.
The Rio Grande went dry in Alb. this week. 1st time since the 80's. It will pulse some but the flows of these rivers is in snowmelt. No snowpack for 3 years now really.

Looks to be heading into CO and Utah today too. I doubt any monsoon rains will fill Mead much. Most is from snowmelt.
The Rio Grande went dry in Alb. this week. 1st time since the 80's. It will pulse some but the flows of these rivers is in snowmelt. No snowpack for 3 years now really.
What kind of shape are Alb's aquifers in?

What kind of shape are Alb's aquifers in?
Some are in rough shape. Any near Kirkland are questionable. I have not been keeping up.

There has been some dropping in H2O depth in wells in this area, but not drastic. Some wells near me have failed ,but they were marginal at best before.
My domestic has gone down to 115 from 105,in 13 years. But still yields 25 GPM.305' deep.
The solar well is at 98' and 175' deep,45 GPM. It has only gone down 5' in 35 years.

So the consensus in Catron County is , "Never seen it this green!" ...or praise the lord.
Old timers and 20 year residents .
All the way down the Dusty Rd to Winston, green. All the way from the Plains of San Augustine to Springervile AZ,green. Lakes filling. Streams & some springs flowing again.
Cool!

Looking across at my little valley towards home after the fog lifted this morning. My roof is in the trees.
IMG_0203.JPG
Raining again now. Through next week....

This is great for the SW! Well maybe not our roads so much, but then again they aren't much.
Another .30" ...
This place was totally over graized 13 years ago. The windmill was the only thing here and it never worked right. This solar pump works when it's cloudy!
This growth is nuts. A month ago it was brown.IMG_0206.JPGIMG_0208.JPGIMG_0211.JPGIMG_0215.JPGIMG_0091.JPGIMG_0217.JPGIMG_0218.JPG
The elk have pulled the west fence and an h-brace. Have to fix it before cattle move in next door.
The big tank filled and went down stream 2 days ago. The road to the well /bottom is overgrown and it was bladed 2 years ago.
Not a bad rehab job for a hairlip...with some rain and few cattle.
Raining again since 0900 off & on and flood watch out thru Sat. ....70-90% chance of heavy rains for at least another week,NOAA.

Last edited:
Over 5 inches this monsoon season and counting.
Waist high gramma grass in places. 4' high Indian Rice grass. Insane wildflower bloom going too.

Bloom on the well tank is worrisome and I talked to a G&F biologist today about it. Similar concerns for wildlife and livestock that I and a rancher have. No deaths yet. I need the rain to flush it out.
Turns out I know the biologist or met her at a meeting around here and she is friends with a HT couple who are friends now. And this year she drew her 1st elk tag so we chatted a while.

Elk have so much food and water in puddles few are using my place right now. But the algae bloom has been there all summer.

Have a Doc appt tomorrow and a oncologist appt. in works and all looks good.

Last 2 mornings have been Mr. Blue Sky mornings and evening rains. Heavy rains to come this week again.
Hot and muggy this afternoon/evening.
2 months of monsoon to go. Bring it.IMG_0208.JPGIMG_0213.JPGIMG_0211 (1).JPGIMG_0215.JPGIMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0240.JPGIMG_0228.JPGIMG_0261.JPGIMG_0266.JPGIMG_0242.JPG
So it has been a great year for the monsoons and now others are getting some. Hope you do Ken.
5foot sunflowers by the acre. 2 foot gramma grass. Paintbrush all over. Big patches of pansies on the barest ground of this place.
The forecast is for lots more here. Flash flood watches through the weekend here.
Bad news for the burn area denizens. More floods. Some have been hit 5 times. Some are gone.
Tanks here are topped out. IMG_0235.JPG
Will be interesting with food and water all around this year, for now.
Have not heard from one hunter. Well, my WI buddy is coming. Oh well.
I have a draw tags. I'll still just hunt here.
Except the deer tag. Not spooking one from around here. IMG_0147 (2).JPG
3 years ago and the start of the water project for elk. No cattle in 5 years.IMG_0089 (2).JPG

Finally totaled it up the days.
7.6 inches as of this morning. 2-6 inches predicted for next 3 days.
Silver Divide 16 inches, and a spot on the Black fire has gotten 24 inches. Since the end 0f June. 6-24 inches predicted for next 3 days.
Wow. The end of Sept. is a ways off.
This monsoon could flow into Oct. if models are correct.

That's the last thing on my mind lately.
I have not been real social as of late.

?
Does it make me a dirty old man to admire nurse butts?

We've a favorable forecast but radar looks like Lucy's gonna yank the football for today. Finger's crossed...

Back