Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

GSP Training

Raising GSPs is a rewarding and sometimes frustraiting undertaking. I raised 3 from pups and followed the training methods from the "Gun Dog" book.

You've gotten some good advice on here. Keep it simple and focus on the basic obedience commands for now. It's the foundation that everything else is built on.

Kennel training is a pain in the but at first but it's worth it. Make it a comfortable refuge for them, ie/ a soft warm blanket or at least a comfy dog bed in there for them.

When the pups are small the have tiny bladders and need to go out 1-2 times a night. I would lock them in their kennels (in my bedroom) when I went to bed and took them outside as needed. When they finished they were put right back. after 3-4 weeks they should be big enough to sleep through the night without having to be let out.

Consistency is key, make the dog sleep in there every night. After a while it becomes a home away from home and it will spend alot of time hanging out in there of its own will.

Some dogs are stubborn and like to pull. One of my 3 was a hard puller on a leash. The best remedy I found was a muzzle harness you connect the leash to. As the dog pulls harder the webbing pulls tighter around the muzzle and the dog will stop dragging you up the sidewalk. When the dog walks at your pace the webbing is relaxed and he can open his mouth and pant like normal. Once he starts pulling it tightens up and gets uncomfortable to the point the dog stops pulling. This was more of a bandaid approach but it worked.

Pointing at stuff is hard wired into their DNA, it's our job to foster and encourage that trait when they are young then start steering them to point the things we want ie. quail not tweety birds and dead mice.

2-5 minute point and flush sessions in the back yard with the old bird wing suspended from the end of a fishing pole work good for this (warning - your dog will get crazy excited any time you grab your fishing gear.)

The other big part of the equation is exposure. Get them out to experience the sights, sounds and smells of the field. For a while I keep them on a leash or check cord and try to get them into birds as much as possible (wild or planted.)

Eventually your dog will put the pieces together of you chasing birds, shooting a bird, finding the bird, letting the dog smell and taste the bird, and bagging the bird. It's like a light goes on on their head, they stop just running around and having fun and start actually hunting for the specific smell of birds you are after.

Some dogs get it the first time for others it may take several trips before the light comes on. It is a very cool experience to witness the moment they figure it out and they start "hunting".

I'm far from the greatest amature "dog trainer" out there, but all 3 of my dogs have been wonderful family dogs and hunting companions. My biggest failing is that I can get them to retrieve everything except dead birds in the field. They will help me find a dead bird at least, once found they take off looking for live ones. Oh well I can live with that.

I wish you the best of luck, enjoy your dog.

I SOOOO wish I lived somewhere I could justify having a bird dog. :( Great reading. Maybe I'll have to get a squirrel dog...

I had a couple of feathers and decided to follow some advice posted above and tied it up to a fishing pole. He did a pretty good job for his first real time. I was pretty surprised.

Click on the photo and it will play the video:

You are doing great! Good looking pup!
(I was thinking about you last evening WV. Went out to the shed and found the old pole, Zebco model 33 spooled with 20lb and steel ring to rig a wing. My grandpa taught me this technique to get the pup to point, and work = whoa! Wonderful memories.
I was going to tell you to start working this asap. You are on it!

The video looks like a point to me. I feed my pups in the kennel from the beginning and within days they want in. I also whoa them on their way to food and make them stand still for a while before I release them to eat. I train with live birds at least once a week in the summer with a dog club.

You are doing great! Good looking pup!
(I was thinking about you last evening WV. Went out to the shed and found the old pole, Zebco model 33 spooled with 20lb and steel ring to rig a wing. My grandpa taught me this technique to get the pup to point, and work = whoa! Wonderful memories.
I was going to tell you to start working this asap. You are on it!

Thanks buddy. He had a few real intense looking points as well. He tried creeping a few times but I gave him the "whoop" and he stopped and stretched his head out but his tail was up. Pretty cool to watch.

The video looks like a point to me. I feed my pups in the kennel from the beginning and within days they want in. I also whoa them on their way to food and make them stand still for a while before I release them to eat. I train with live birds at least once a week in the summer with a dog club.

I've been making him sit and stay until I get the bowl on the ground then I just say go. I just started this the other day and he is getting it.

I can sum all of this up pretty easily for you.

He's a puppy :)

Be consistent and be patient. Remember, the drive and persistence you are cussing right now you will be praising him for in the field.

I've found winter to be a very difficult time to house break dogs. Would you want to pee outside, or inside where it's warm?

==============================================================
Great advice! Be patient. House breaking is easy with some and a long term project with others.
I have read and enjoyed this man's columns and advice for many years. This book lays out the fundamentals in a very simplistic fashion that works. I strongly suggest you get a competent training book or two and this is a good one.

http://www.amazon.com/Dave-Duffey-trains-gun-dogs/dp/0883760525

As mentioned above concerning "Whoa" training and food, you will find putting the food down and calmly saying "whoa" while holding his collar until he understands what whoa means a lot easier than table or barrel training at a later date. I tap my dog on the head and say OK when I want to release him to eat, this translates right into hunting commands. Get a training book now and start the basics out right, it is really very intuitive and simple. Your gonna really enjoy this dog as he gets older and you have a handle on him.

I much prefer letting my dog hunt for me than vise versa.

Last edited:
I kept my GSP kenneled overnights until he was about 4 months, I think. When he started whining to pee, I'd leash him and walk him to a corner spot in the backyard we designated for him to take care of business. It only took him about a week to figure this out - never had an accident in the house during that time - and now, almost 11 years later, he still knows what 'corner' means and handles it all there. That was my single victory in training - unfortunately, I started my own business right after getting him and never had enough time to give him and was too stubborn (or cheap) to send him somewhere to be properly trained. He's a great dog, but days in the field are pretty frustrating for both of us. Best of luck with yours!

WV: great job with the wing. When he is stationary "on point", like in the video give him lots of praise. You can even stroke him on the back as he holds "point".

The third step would be to get that "whoa" command in place.... so that when he holds on the wing you can give him the whoa command.

One important fact as mentioned "keep it fun". Pups have a short attention span so small periods of repetition.

Once more great job!!!

good luck to all
the dog

Thanks. We played around again yesterday with the wing and he started going straight to the wing without stopping after the first minute or so. He was getting pretty wild with it. When I would try to get him to "whoa" he would sit down and look at it. I put the wing up after he did that a time or two.

Also, the little butt didn't want to go outside yesterday evening and pee'd in the floor. I opened the door to let him out and he backed up and turned around so I didn't think much about it. Went and sat down to help me 6 year old with her reading and I could hear piss hitting the carpet upstairs in front of our bathroom. I picked him up and took him out. He had done very well up until that point. At times it's like he doesn't get it.

Are there any good internet forums on versatile dogs or bird hunting dogs? I need something else to waste my time during the slow season at work.

"He plays fetch pretty good. He always brings it right back but doesn't necessarily give it up easy. He likes to play tug with the bumper and clamps down on balls"

It's great he brings it back but i would avoid playing Tug of war with him and at this point i would not take it from him if he doesn't want to give it up.You could create hard mouth problems that could be hard to reverse.

WV: you may have to go outside with the little guy. Step outside the door and give him the "come" command. Stay out until he urinates and then praise him. Sounds like you are having lots of fun with the little guy.

Versatile hunting dogs.... NAVHDA (north American versatile hunting dogs association). There are many chapters around and many members work together to get the dogs trained. It would be great to join that group.

good luck to all
the dog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back