Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Grouse during elk season?

Dsnow9

What is everyone’s setup for grouse during elk season? If I am hunting archery I always have an extra arrow or two for grouse. I want a light weight option for rifle season but not sure which direction to go... Some ideas I have had is a Chiappa little badger in 22 or a hunting slingshot. What do you all use? Pros/cons...

What is everyone’s setup for grouse during elk season? If I am hunting archery I always have an extra arrow or two for grouse. I want a light weight option for rifle season but not sure which direction to go... Some ideas I have had is a Chiappa little badger in 22 or a hunting slingshot. What do you all use? Pros/cons...
I always had my dad's K22 in my daypack. Use .22 longs if you can find them. The noise is negligible. I once shot four blues together then walked over the ridge and shot a spike bull.

I’ve carried a 22 pistol (birdshot or standard LR) in the past, but have tempered my grouse addiction to the point now where I don’t bother them in rifle season. If I only saw blue grouse for a week I probably would continue to carry the 22.

samesies on archery, though, I take whatever bent/dinged up arrow, add a small game point, color the fletchings pink and put it on the outside of the quiver.

Grouse during elk season?​

BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY

Attachments

• 1627961128009.jpeg
    1627961128009.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 11
I take a SS Buckmark to camp with me. If I see grouse on my first walk around it starts coming with me. I'm not concerned with the sound while I am walking.

I always wondered if it'd be legal to take one with a pistol or 22 etc, or if you'd need to use a shotgun of some sort.

This probably depends on the state. I don't know if there are a lot of regulations around method of take for birds.
Out West and in Canada it is legal in most jurisdictions to take grouse with a rifle or pistol. Probably a carryover from trapping days when grouse were survival food. In Montana I believe turkeys can still be taken with a rifle or pistol, in the fall season anyway. Waterfowl cannot be taken with a rifle or pistol on either side of the border due to federal regs. Incidentally, hunting anything with a pistol in Canada is illegal. Up here magazine capacity for guns cannot exceed seven rounds ... except shotguns which are limited to three shot capacity no matter what they're used for (home defense MAY be exception but I doubt it ... don't know for sure because door crasher guns are not my thing. Spring goose hunting may also be an exception but I seriously doubt it). I'm not sure if pheasants can be legally taken with rifle/pistol out West but no one does it that I know of. The birds won't sit still for it.You'd have to be a trick shot pro to hit a running or flying rooster with a .22. As far as I know there are no restrictions anywhere for taking game birds of any sort with archery. Except shooting geese in a city park. You can ask TV waterfowl guru Jeff Foiles about that ... if he's out of jail.

I suspect Eastern regs against shooting at uplands with a rifle/pistol are more about safety than sportsmanship. Those hunters are more likely to be hunting in areas that are more populated. Lobbing rifle/pistol rounds in the air at grouse perched in trees poses some risks to others, albeit remote.

Last edited:
No one that I know of makes shotgun shells longer than 3.5" so that's a mute point. Anyone shooting uplands with 3.5" twelve or ten gauge should be ticketed for wasting game. I presume the people who write the regs mean "forest grouse" can be taken with a rifle/pistol in addition to shotgun. Very confusing. They need to be more specific about what constitutes a firearm in every case. So sage hens cannot be taken with a rifle? Sharpies are found in the forests up here. Where do they fit in Idaho?

I've been shooting slingshots since I was a kid. You would be amazed at how accurate one can get with a little practice. (Soda can at 20 yards). They are quiet and with the right setup can be really powerful.

Back