Yeti GOBOX Collection

Groups moving?

jakenbake

Let me start by saying I know pretty much nothing about bows, how to set them up, and how to tune them. I shoot a Bear Attitude I picked up from Bass Pro a couple years ago and shoot 30-40 arrows about once a week into hay bale and foam targets. My problem is that it seems like almost every time I go to shoot, I have to mess with the sight (4 pin trophy Ridge that came with the bow) because the group has shifted from where I left it at the end of my last session. Usually it's shifted up about 4-5 inches and maybe an inch or two to the right at 30 yards. I'm to the point of not being able to adjust the sight any further up or almost any to the right. Does this sound like an issue with the sight, the string/cable, the limbs, or something else entirely? I've taken it back to the guys at the archery counter at Bass Pro and they moved the peep a little which helped for a bit, but I'm now back in the same position I came to them in, so I don't *think* it's the peep moving, but again - I know nothing. Any suggestions at all would be appreciated.

Your peep sight is creeping. Get some serving, or even dental floss and serve above and below the peep so it has no room to move. YouTube will show you how.

It could be an anchor point problem too. A little change in your anchor point will change the point of impact. Maybe try a kisser button?

Your peep should not have anything to do with your groups shifting left to right it should only change your up and down (elevation). Make sure your rest is tight and hasn't moved.

It could be an anchor point problem too. A little change in your anchor point will change the point of impact. Maybe try a kisser button?

Cush nailed it. ive had the same problem. Concentrate on making sure your anchor point is the exact same each time.

You've got good advice. If you don't want a kisser button, an old archery pro told me this tip about 15 years ago and it has really worked well for me. Put the nock of the arrow at the corner of your mouth and the tip of your nose on the bowstring. It might not work for everyone, especially if your draw length is off, but has worked for me.

I would also check out all the John Dudley youtube videos you have time to watch. he has tons of form, release aids and anchor point tips that have helped me a lot. I shoot much more consistently now

check that you aren't twisting/gripping with your bow hand either, that will torque your bow and throw the POI off as well.

Try this....

When you go out for your weekly practice session, on your first draw close your eyes and have someone take a picture of your face on your string side where your release rests against your face. Without an arrow nocked have someone take a picture from the front as well...without dry firing lol Do this over the course of several weeks and look at all of the pics and notice where your anchor point is and your grip on the bow. Do it with your eyes closed so that you're not subconsciously trying to correct to your sight picture. The pics over time can be very telling of your form. Once you're hitting good groups on the target, without making sight pin adjustments, (even if they're not in the bullseye...you're looking for consistent groups) snap more pictures of your face and grip to see the difference. After you have your form down try walkback tuning to see if your center shot is right before adjusting pins.

You say your group has changed. After you adjust your sight does it change during your shooting session? Usually poor form causes you not to group at all. I would take it to an archery pro shop not a big retailer like Bass Pro, Cabela's, or the like. No offense but they don't always have the best trained people for the job. They make their money on high sales volume not service. A dedicated archery shop can check your bow and assist you with any form related issues that you may have.

I second most of the advice you've been given. I believe it's a form issue. I've been an archery hunter for 22 years. I don't shoot year round and I experience my group's drifting around a bit each spring when I start practicing again and my shooting form isn't really dialed in. I would suggest you alter your practice a bit. Instead of 30 or so shots once a week, try shooting like a dozen every other day for a while. Consistency will help you get your shooting form, including your anchor point, settled out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back