New bow sight for next year

Man the archery threads have been spicy lately!

Anyone want to argue physics, FOC or arrow weight again?
Maybe another day lol :ROFLMAO:

I'm gonna go crack a beer and put my bow sight up on eBay for $15,000. Instructions not included.

Good thing about archery is most of the time your parts are interchangeable. So if you invest in good parts, they can always transfer over when you upgrade in bows.

I like shooting far out for fun and practice, so the slider seems to allow me do that more efficiently. Plus coming from a one pin (after the fixed pin), I like not always thinking what my pin should be set at. Going through thick woods, I would have it on 25, then in the clearing I would have it on 40 etc. For me, the multi adjustable solved this. But dont tell people that, they wont believe me either lol.

That’s the beauty of a single 0.019 pin for me…I never have to think about where it’s set. Having mine set at 30 yards gets me 0-40 and never have to hold off the animal. I love it for the simplicity. I doubt I’ll ever go back to a three pin again.

That’s the beauty of a single 0.019 pin for me…I never have to think about where it’s set. Having mine set at 30 yards gets me 0-40 and never have to hold off the animal. I love it for the simplicity. I doubt I’ll ever go back to a three pin again.
I definitely liked the one pin more than the 7 fixed pin. For some reason though, I always doubted myself on which yardage to leave it on. Seemed like one more step before getting to shoot. I bought the sight tape style sights to hopefully eliminate more holdover shots. That's just me though (y)

I definitely liked the one pin more than the 7 fixed pin. For some reason though, I always doubted myself on which yardage to leave it on. Seemed like one more step before getting to shoot. I bought the sight tape style sights to hopefully eliminate more holdover shots. That's just me though (y)
I was always a fixed 3 pin sight guy. Even after having a single pin slider, I kept wanting to go back to a 3 pin. Then I started doing a lot of testing one summer. I realized that even with my bow set at 60 lbs, I could cover 99% of my hunting ranges without moving my sight. Anything over that distance, I’m gonna dial anyway.

I was always a fixed 3 pin sight guy. Even after having a single pin slider, I kept wanting to go back to a 3 pin. Then I started doing a lot of testing one summer. I realized that even with my bow set at 60 lbs, I could cover 99% of my hunting ranges without moving my sight. Anything over that distance, I’m gonna dial anyway.
Very true (y)

Interesting.

That being said I wonder if I could go 30-40-50 and shoot 0 to 30 on my top pin. Might have to play with that. I've been shooting at 60 lbs and recall from shooting this summer and fall that there was a somewhat noticeable difference shooting my 20 yd pin at 30 yds, but I might have to revist/get comfortable with a slight holdover at that range. Food for thought definitely.

Last edited:
Interesting.

That being said I wonder if I could go 30-40-50 and shoot 0 to 30 on my top pin. Might have to play with that.
Yes essentially. You basically would sight top pin at 30 and just practice and learn shot placement for yardages under 30, similar to shooting 35 when you have 30 40 50 pins. Just learning holding pin over or under target.

@rjthehunter is a making a good point important for anyone considering a multi-pin sliding sight to understand: one pin will be accurate at all yardages, the rest of the pins will only be accurate when the sliding mechanism is adjusted to its home/zero position (usually the fully up position). With a fast arrow shot at moderate distances, the inaccuracy introduced by using pins other than the designated "rover" pin when the slider is away from the home position may not be noticeable. But the physics don't lie: the amount an arrow drops per yard increases the further the arrow travels; thus, pin gaps (if properly calibrated) grow wider at longer ranges.

Below are screenshots from the Black Gold video posted previously to illustrate the point. With the sliding mechanism adjusted fully up, the top and bottom pins are at 20 and 40 yds. When the slider is adjusted down such that the top pin is at 50 yds, the bottom pin is then at 66 yds (not 70 yds as some might have you believe). Side note: the particular sight shown below allows you to use two pins at any yardage because it has dual indicators, but many sliding sights have only one indicator.
2023-02-06_16.10.52~2.jpg

Interesting.

That being said I wonder if I could go 30-40-50 and shoot 0 to 30 on my top pin. Might have to play with that. I've been shooting at 60 lbs and recall from shooting this summer and fall that there was a somewhat noticeable difference shooting my 20 yd pin at 30 yds, but I might have to revist/get comfortable with a slight holdover at that range. Food for thought definitely.

Using your 30 yard pin(assuming it’s dead on at 30 yards), shoot at your target at 15 yards. That’ll be the highest point of your trajectory. Then decide if that is acceptable to you. I don’t have to holdover or under with my setup from 0-30. I bet you won’t have to either.

I have a spot hog hog father if my memory serves me. I out a double pin on it and with the sight tapes it compasates the yardage. I usually just shoot off the top pin with I dial it out anyways but it has shot just fine useing the lower pin at its yardage line.

I have a spot hog fast eddie mine has 2 dots on same pin and I love it was always a 4 pin guy 20,30,40,50 but at 60 was having issues seeing the pins this changed that
if my top dot is at 20 2nd dot is at abt 34 so for most archery shots their is no need to adjust anything

Planning on upgrading to a 4 pin Hha tetra. Really like the adjustment and still having your normal pins. Talked to a couple of guys at walkthroughs that absolutely loved there’s.

I have a spot hog hog father if my memory serves me. I out a double pin on it and with the sight tapes it compasates the yardage. I usually just shoot off the top pin with I dial it out anyways but it has shot just fine useing the lower pin at its yardage line.
When you have a dual indicator, it's usually your top pin and bottom pin for the top indicator and bottom indicator. Then both pins have yardage you can dial to.

How do you know which pin to use?

(*not being obtuse!)

Imagine…you’re in your stand…a deer walks out…what distance is it? I’ve asked this a bunch of times. My normal process is that when I finally get settled to range several trees and get an idea of what the ranges are to me.

I’ll range at 20 yards, 30 yards…40 is kinda irrelevant where I hunt. It’s just not going to happen given forest density.

I run a Trophy Ridge 3-pin - the bottom pin is a floating ranger. I have it set at 40…but can dial it to 70…not that it matters. I can’t exactly shoot that far, either with my eyes or the forest I shoot in.

All of this begs the question: how do you know, when that mega-buck walks out, which pin to use?

Last edited:
I’ll range at 20 yards, 30 yards…40 is kinda irrelevant where I hunt.

Same here at most of my spots. That’s why I go with a one-pin slider (HHA) usually set it to 25 and just hold over it it’s a bit farther. Less to think about in an already mentally “busy” situation.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back