PEAX Equipment

Grizzly or Black Bear

SCliving Outdoors

Hey guys,
I spent a week up in the Montana back country bear hunting. I was right up above Yellowstone. This area is obviously known for grizzlies and I actually met Todd Orr a few days previously close to the trail head. On evening #6 I glassed up this bear. It was 1400-1500 yards away across a canyon. It was close to the top of a ridge. I actually have 10 minutes of video of this bear. We watched through the spotting scope for 20 minutes. There was another small bear with this bear (we guessed 100-150lbs) that my friend and I thought was a 2nd year cub. We thought after watching it that it was a sow grizzly so we didn't make a move on it the next evening. What do yall think? The bear was massive. It looked like a buffalo standing on the hill. Some people on my friend's facebook have been saying it is a black bear. I am not from an area that has grizzlies, but I trust most of the guys on here more then people on facebook. I have been looking at pictures online and I still cant decided in some pics it looks like a grizz and in some it doesn't. Below are some stills I took from my video.

IMG_4333.jpgIMG_4334.jpgIMG_4335.jpgIMG_4337.PNGIMG_4338.PNGIMG_4340.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4339.PNG
    IMG_4339.PNG
    854.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I'm not an expert in the slightest. My guess is black bear due to the head and shoulder shape. Interested in hearing what more knowledgeable people think.

Yeah, its a blacky. I had to analyze it for a minute there too. Unfortunate on the coloring for your sake, if he had been a jet black you wouldn't have second thought it and had a really nice bear to show us.

Yeah, its a blacky. I had to analyze it for a minute there too. Unfortunate on the coloring for your sake, if he had been a jet black you wouldn't have second thought it and had a really nice bear to show us.
We just weren’t 100% sure either way. Didn’t want to make a mistake of that caliber.

Uh, wow? Average "Joe" hunter here who's not smacked a bear in some 15+ years though dabble around spring bear as an excuse to get out... Lead (copper nowadays) would have flown had I felt the young one was good to go on its own.

A brute!

Like you though, better safe than sorry.

Every year it seems. Ammo for the extreme enviros.

An absolute stud but I would have been too scared to shoot too with my very little knowledge of bears.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back