Caribou Gear

Grizzly or Black Bear

Man I think you did the right thing passing it up. I would agree with most folks that it is prooobabbbllly a black bear, but I have been fooled too many times to get cocky about it. One thing is sure: you did the right thing by holding off until you're 100 percent sure. Thanks for sharing your story and thanks for showing good judgment.

I must be colorblind. That bear looks more cinnamon than black to me. ;) Great looking bear - correct decision. Go get him next year.

As my dad would say “if you’re questioning yourself, the answer is NO”. You did the right thing if you were in doubt!

100% agree. The first year my brother hunted Saskatchewan, I tried to hammer in his thick skull that he needed to be 100% sure that the deer he was shooting at was a whitetail. I reminded him several times, even before his first sit, to be careful and wait to see ALL identifying features of the deer he intended on shooting has he had never hunted an area that held both types of deer.

I got the "I messed up" text on his second day. He shot at what he thought was a whitetail only to see it bounce away like a mule and see it's ass. To say that I was mad was an understatement. It was archery so I told him to go look for blood and his arrow, and that he might be luckiest unlucky hunter to have missed his deer based on how the deer reacted after the shot. He found his bloodless arrow, ranged where the deer stood to where he shot from. He aimed for 20 yards at a 30 yards deer. He eventually killed a beautiful whitetail, after apparently waiting several minutes looking at it with his binos to make sure it was the right kind...

Dat be black bear all the way. Too bad you didn't go for it. He woulda been a brute. Pretty sure that is a boar too by how squared off the shoulders are to the hips.

Yeah it's a bummer that I don't spend more time on my computer so I could see these posts when they are first posted instead of first seeing them after they have 30 some replies.☹

I once shot a chocolate phase black bear off a friends barrel. It was pretty big. Upon a close up look, my heart sank. I thought I had actually shot a young grizzly male by mistake. I was not sure, but I felt so sick even though the chance of there being a grizzly in that area was extremely slim and said to not be any around there. It was after I got the bear out of there and got it checked by Fish and Game that I confirmed I had actually shot a nice black bear. What a relief and a lesson learned. For a while it was not a good time.

You done the right thing by waiting and confirming first.

Nice call on waiting until your sure. 👍

More importantly, is that a Bigfoot standing in the trees, in the background of the last 3 pictures? 😁
Not just one Sasquatch but two! There’s also a young squatch squatting by the big one.

Hey guys,
I spent a week up in the Montana back country bear hunting. I was right up above Yellowstone. This area is obviously known for grizzlies and I actually met Todd Orr a few days previously close to the trail head. On evening #6 I glassed up this bear. It was 1400-1500 yards away across a canyon. It was close to the top of a ridge. I actually have 10 minutes of video of this bear. We watched through the spotting scope for 20 minutes. There was another small bear with this bear (we guessed 100-150lbs) that my friend and I thought was a 2nd year cub. We thought after watching it that it was a sow grizzly so we didn't make a move on it the next evening. What do yall think? The bear was massive. It looked like a buffalo standing on the hill. Some people on my friend's facebook have been saying it is a black bear. I am not from an area that has grizzlies, but I trust most of the guys on here more then people on facebook. I have been looking at pictures online and I still cant decided in some pics it looks like a grizz and in some it doesn't. Below are some stills I took from my video.

View attachment 143211View attachment 143212View attachment 143213View attachment 143214View attachment 143215View attachment 143217
Black bear

Back