Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Grizzly kills hunter.

Leanwolf

I just received my Winter Issue of "The Bugle," from RMEF. In it is the story of the Montana elk hunter who was killed, last October, by a Grizzly.

He was hunting alone, killed an elk with his .270, was cleaning it, when, according to what the Game Wardens thought later, the momma Griz surprised him. It didn't appear as if he ever touched his rifle for a try at self defense. They figured he probably didn't even see the Griz coming at him.

First hunter who was killed by a Griz in Montana, in 50 years.

I've hunted elk/deer in Griz country, quite a few times. I've not seen one, but have seen their tracks and markings. I try to be as careful as possible, but as the old saying goes, "Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes he eats you."

FWIW. L.W.

I know what you mean. Until I've been thru a new area completely. I carry my 357. These fuzzy warm grizzlys are actually very agressive and not to be taken lightly...

I feel bad for the guy that got killed, but sometimes you pay the fiddler. I surely dont feel sorry for him, thems the breaks. I can think of worse ways to die.

Speaking of grizzlies hopefully we'll have them back in the bitterroots before long.

Probably not! The news just today said that if it happened it would still be along way out. I think Laramie needs griz. They were there also I belive. Or maybe better yet. If they did bring them into the Bitteroot. One of your family members would be the first eaten. "Serves them right"

What a way to go. Has to be terrible to not even have a chance. I also hunt in griz country and although I have never seen one i have seen there tracks. Makes the hair on your neck stand up and makes you realize that you may not be the hunter, but the hunted. While I have had elk down in some thick and nasty stuff, it makes you very alert when you hear sticks breaking. Spend as much time looking around as I do working on the elk. Nice when there are two hunters for the added set of eyes. This is why I always carry my 44 mag or my 454 Casull.

Keep dreaming elkchsr, because they are going in, and soon. Count on it, I have some real reliable sources that say its a fact. You know, people that are actually in charge of something. Hint, please see: Sovereign Tribal Rights.

Well, beings how it was the first case in 50 years, I and my kin wont be losing any sleep over a few griz...

May keep a few of them 'rooters on the porch where they belong.

I'm just passing on what the news said. I don't have any one in the know. Nor am I interested in such things...I do know that there have been griz transplanted into this state, and I don't mean to the park. I just asked one of the biologists out of Butte and they said yes...

ELKCHSR, I know a few of the Butte boys, who is the biologist and whats his name? Who does he work for? State or Federal guy?

Feel free to email me, if its a secret, because that would be news to lots of people.

Where did they relocate this bear from and where did they put it? Where was the bear originally from?

He was one of the bio's at the fish and game meetings. I'm not possitive on the name since I wasn't there to remember names. But he said that they have been brought in from Canada and dropped into the area somewhere around Libby. I also believe he was one of the state biologists. He was one of the guys that was in some helicopter crash last year that everyone keeps laughing about...

Probably a bear they brought from Canada to augment an already existing population in the cabinet mountains. There is only about 20 griz left in there, at best. They are concerned about genetic diversity.

For the record, its an augmentation, not a transplant. Transplants are when you reintroduce where critters werent or were totally wiped out. Augmentations are when you "beef up" the existing population.

That makes sense, but you're post made it sound like they put them in a new area where they havent lived for the last few thousand years. Always been griz in the cabinets.

No, but thats exactly how rumors get started.

It would be a huge deal if the F&G or USFWS were to reintro bears into a new area without an EIS. Someones ass would be in a major sling.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back