Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Grizzly bear shot, hunter found guilty

kansasdad

$10,000 fine and no jail time. Once he completes a successful 12 month probation period, his record will be cleared. The WGFD and the judge went easy on the hunter because he immediately self reported the mistaken identity, and also chose to not charge the 13 year old actual shooter (his son).

IMO that's the way to go. People will make mistakes, no matter how dumb they are, and you want them to turn themselves in. Honesty is best policy and if you want people to continue reporting their faults, you can't completely hammer them the same way you would someone who didn't self-report.

Last edited:
Another one. This person took a little bit of time to turn himself in. It will be interesting to see how the outcome varies.

Did he get to keep the meat or hide? What do they do with the animal when the WGF confiscates them or has to put down problem grizzlies?

The comments quoted in that second article are so bizarre. Still baffled at how people can make such strange, great, false assumptions.

Last edited:
Another one. This person took a little bit of time to turn himself in. It will be interesting to see how the outcome varies.

I’m guessing he won’t get as much leniency. Based on the published pictures of the dead bear, it was very obviously a grizzly bear. Do WY hunters have to pass a bear ID test before getting a black bear tag?

I’m guessing he won’t get as much leniency. Based on the published pictures of the dead bear, it was very obviously a grizzly bear. Do WY hunters have to pass a bear ID test before getting a black bear tag?
No. There is a test on the G&F website but it is not mandatory.

You sure about that? Lots of big black bears have a decent sized hump, especially with the head down.

View attachment 276005

View attachment 276006
True but his seemed a lot more defined and outlined unlike this ones. Yours is more roundish and his seems more sharp. Maybe it’s because of the stride his took while yours is standing still? Good comparison though.

Muzzle color helps, I don’t think grizz has a separate muzzle color either?

True but his seemed a lot more defined and outlined unlike this ones. Yours is more roundish and his seems more sharp. Maybe it’s because of the stride his took while yours is standing still? Good comparison though.

Muzzle color helps, I don’t think grizz has a separate muzzle color either?
I’m 100% certain the Rainier bear is a big chocolate black bear, but if I was hunting in Montana I’d wait to see his face before I shot him.

I’m 100% certain the Rainier bear is a big chocolate black bear, but if I was hunting in Montana I’d wait to see his face before I shot him.
Agreed on a face check. The picture is too pixilated but checking ears would have been my next thought.

Dumb question though, are we saying Rainier Oregon is where this bear is? @FREAK

Good discussion though, it’s good to talk about this stuff. Could save one of our sorry @$$3$ $10000 one day.

In my opninion shoulder hump is the least reliable of the common indicators, face shape the most. Good reminder to be double sure.

Sorta an aside, and I'm not sure where the lines get drawn, but I think it's a good thing that a parent is held liable on an infraction like this. A buddy of mine got a fair sized ticket for directing his daughter to do some ill-advised shooting last year, and I think it will help both of them in the long run that it played out that way.

785012E8-CC43-4EFC-84F2-2D519CEE6CDC.pngB5A932D7-B6C5-4223-9089-D3BF5C77FAA5.pngE6403FF2-900F-4876-8CD9-747689BF07DF.png
Last year I went after the nice color phase black in picture 1. He never came back out that night, but the big sow (griz) with two cubs came out about 30 minutes after I lost the black. Confused me as they were within a quarter mile of each other. Made me second guess if he was indeed a black. I feel like I usually know instantly if it's a griz. The chocolate blacks (especially in griz country) always have me second guessing. No bears worth 10K in fines. It's usually pretty clear if you get the time to watch them at a reasonable range. Now big sow vs boar....that's another discussion.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back