Grizzly bear shot, hunter found guilty

Probably digging myself deeper here but i'll give it a go anyways.

A couple run of the mill black bears behind a small tree and a average size pine tree (first one from @MTLabrador) with respect to the tree you can tell theyre your average montana black bear:
View attachment 276066
View attachment 276061
vs below, (the no chance griz)….walking behind a stump at least 2.5 times the size of the trees above and she still looks like a tank.

I can see how the pics I fist posted are a bit deceiving, but it's a legit big sow griz. I guess we can agree to disagree. I’ve seen many of both species and find it funny to be dismissed so confidently. Or maybe its the first 7.5' sow black bear I've seen in the wild...
View attachment 276062
View attachment 276063
Alright, that's all I have to add on this one.
I don’t care if you compare that bear to a giant Sequoia…zero chance that is a Griz. And it’s not anywhere close to 7.5’.

Yeah Washington near mnt Rainier

Edit: first pic I uploaded was mnt Rainier. Second was in heavy griz country Montana. I’ve seen lots of bears over the years. The sow made that decent black bear look like a cub from 1.5 times as far away. The pure size of a big griz is unmistakable imho.
So I’m confused. In your first post, you claimed these bears were 1/4 mile apart. What part of MT’s heavy Grizz country is within 1/4 mile of Mt. Rainier?
Last year I went after the nice color phase black in picture 1. He never came back out that night, but the big sow (griz) with two cubs came out about 30 minutes after I lost the black. Confused me as they were within a quarter mile of each other. Made me second guess if he was indeed a black. I feel like I usually know instantly if it's a griz.

So I’m confused. In your first post, you claimed these bears were 1/4 mile apart. What part of MT’s heavy Grizz country is within 1/4 mile of Mt. Rainier?
Bear in Post #6 is mount Rainier in Washington state. That was a bear that I was leaning towards big black color phase, rest of the group thought griz.

All other bears I’ve posted were from hunting in MT, around YNP. I saw the average size color phase black and the big sow with cubs the same day and they were within a quarter mile of each other.

Bear in Post #6 is mount Rainier in Washington state. That was a bear that I was leaning towards big black color phase, rest of the group thought griz.

All other bears I’ve posted were from hunting in MT, around YNP. I saw the average size color phase black and the big sow with cubs the same day and they were within a quarter mile of each other.
I see

That bear is a good example because the place I was hunting has a very high grizzly population and I got caught up in overthinking. In the field through a spotter with the flat light and blowing snow, I had a hard time feeling 100% sure until I saw him lift his head.

So I waited, and blew my chance on what I’m sure is one of the best black bears I’ve ever seen while hunting. I think he was a very good boar. Still better than walking up on a dead grizzly though.

That bear is a good example because the place I was hunting has a very high grizzly population and I got caught up in overthinking. In the field through a spotter with the flat light and blowing snow, I had a hard time feeling 100% sure until I saw him lift his head.

So I waited, and blew my chance on what I’m sure is one of the best black bears I’ve ever seen while hunting. I think he was a very good boar. Still better than walking up on a dead grizzly though.

Probably digging myself deeper here but i'll give it a go anyways.

A couple run of the mill black bears behind a small tree and a average size pine tree (first one from @MTLabrador) with respect to the tree you can tell theyre your average montana black bear:
View attachment 276066
View attachment 276061
vs below, (the no chance griz)….walking behind a stump at least 2.5 times the size of the trees above and she still looks like a tank.

I can see how the pics I fist posted are a bit deceiving, but it's a legit big sow griz. I guess we can agree to disagree. I’ve seen many of both species and find it funny to be dismissed so confidently. Or maybe its the first 7.5' sow black bear I've seen in the wild...
View attachment 276062
View attachment 276063
Alright, that's all I have to add on this one.
I’m 99% sure it’s a grizz.
I’d take the shot.

If you want them to self-report 10k seems a little steep.
Well, it beats the alternative. Up to $35k in fines and restitution, a year in jail and loss of privileges for 6 years.
If we ever want to delist grizzlies we can't exceed the annual mortality thresholds. Letting hunters walk away with a slap on wrist would probably result in a lot more dead grizzly bears. I bet folks spend a lot more time identifying what their target is knowing they could be writing a $10,000 check after they pull the trigger.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back