Yeti GOBOX Collection

Grizzlies

Elkhunter

Every year there are more and more conflicts between elk hunters and grizzlies. Some shootings I am sure are warranted, while others make me wonder if they were just shot. Grizzlies are growing in numbers and their range is expanding. So my question is, Do you think the grizzly bear should be delisted from the endangered species list

------------------
Elk Hunting 101: Everything You Need To Know About Elk Hunting
www.jacksonholewyoming.net/elk

[This message has been edited by Elkhunter (edited 02-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Reggae (edited 02-04-2001).]

Being from Michigan I can't speak with much authority, but it does sound like the griz are doing OK
The caribou outfitter we're hunting with in NWT this fall had to shoot one in his camp last year.
smile.gif

------------------
polarbear2.gif

Elkhunter.
I saw your thread over in elk first so I replied to it there. The grizzlies are a pain in the butt around here when your trying to bait. I only have one bait that I've never had a grizz come in on, but it's only a matter of time before they find that bait. They (the game and fish) keep cutting down the area around here that we can bait in. It won't be long and I won't be doing any baiting here.
There are more grizzlies than blacks around here, so I say delist them and lets go huntin.

I think one really has to consider why an animal is placed on the endangered species list in the first place. From what I understand, it is done because a species' population in a certain area is at or below a viable breeding population, and the numbers need to come up.

I'm not so sure that grizzlies in the lower 48 need to increase their range or numbers. There is a reason why they were nearly wiped out from the lower 48 to begin with, (conflicts with man) and raising their numbers now will begin to more painfully point that out.

Grizzlies, like wolves, are not endangered as a species in North America, only in the lower 48. And, just like wolves in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and now North Dakota, a growing grizzly population in Wyoming and Montana will cause more and more conflicts, doing neither the animals, nor the humans, any good.

So I guess my answer is that they shoudl be removed from the endangered list, and game and fish departments should look at issuance of tags for them.

Yes I do Elkhunter! I hunted up in your area this year and found some signs of a big bear in that area around Hoback Juction. It does put the chills to your backbone let me tell ya. Now that paw mark on the big aspen tree was 9 feet up and very wide and deep. The print on the ground look like maybe a couple of weeks old. I didn't stick around long hoping to get a glimpse either.

Back