Grizz relocations & hunting

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I spent almost three years on the Governor's Grizzly Bear Roundtable, where five citizens from MT/ID/WY were asked to work with the USFWS to help them craft the Federal Conservation Strategy for management of Grizzly Bears in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, following eventual delisting. As a result, pieces about GBears always catch my interest.

One topic that came up was the number of hunter-Gbear conflicts on lands around YNP. Many opinions were given as to why that happens. The critics of delisting use these encounters, and the resulting bear mortalities, as a way to hammer hunting as a contributing cause to mortality of Gbears in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem.

One of the renowned Grizzly Bear biologists and I were having lunch one day during those years of meetings and I mentioned the infestation of Gbears in my archery hunting areas. He looked at my as if I had missing the simplest clue to the easiest question ever asked.

He explained that problem bears, both those from inside YNP and often bears outside of YNP, get relocated to my hunting locations. I asked for more explanation.

He went into more detail. The density of grizzly bears north of YNP, the Upper Gallatin/Madison area, is very high. Possibly it is artificially high, due to relocation of problem bears from other locations. This article below shows a perfect example.

Not only are bears being relocated there, often they are the bears that have had problems in the past. If you hunt in Taylor's Fork, Teepee, Sage Creek, Cabin Creek, Buffalo Horn, and a few other places, know that you are in one of the highest density Gbear areas in the entire ecosystem. And many of the bears you are dealing with have a "rap sheet" that is not reflective of good behavior around humans.

The biologist did not have any data that stated specifically how this relocation program impacts bear mortalities and human-bear conficts. He is too professional to make any assertions without complete science for his claims.

But, when I surmized the obvious conclusion; that these continued relocation of problem bears could be contributing to the high human-bear conflicts in those drainages, especially when hunters are afiled during the most active bear periods of the year, he gave the smirk of "You know, for being the Charlie Daniels of the abacus, you are catching on to some of this cause-effect stuff."

Here is an article that talks about relocation of another problem bear to the area. Next time some person strongly against delisting of Gbears due to human caused mortality and wants to blame hunters for a bear-human conflict in those areas, I think I might interject some of this to the discussion.

July 21, 2014
WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT
Grizzly Relocated to Upper Gallatin After Livestock Kill

On Wednesday, July 16, Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks relocated an 8-year-old male grizzly bear responsible for killing a young cow in the Red Lodge area Sunday to the Upper Gallatin area north of Yellowstone National Park.

FWP assisted USDA-Wildlife Services in capturing the bear Tuesday in grassland habitat on private land between Red Lodge and Belfry.

After capture, the bear was immobilized to determine age, sex and if the bear had previously been captured or “marked”. The bear was identified as having been captured at 3-years-old for research purposes by Wyoming Game & Fish in 2009. It had no known previous conflict history. For that reason, it was decided by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and FWP to relocate the bear.

The bear was radio-collared and re-tagged to monitor its movements. If the bear gets into other conflicts it will most likely be captured again and removed from the population.

This is the second male grizzly bear captured in southern Montana this year due to livestock depredations. In the first case, a 9-year-old male was captured in May in the upper Paradise Valley. Numerous cattle depredations had occurred on a ranch in that area last fall, and began again as soon as cattle were brought back to the ranch in the spring. Those events were investigated by USDA-Wildlife Services and FWP. The bear in that case was captured and removed from the population.

Similar to bear movements seen on the eastern front of Northern Continental Divide Ecosystem, Yellowstone bears are moving farther away from what was considered suitable occupied habitat as the grizzly population density increases and a recovered population exists.

News link here ---
http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases/fishAndWildlife/nr_0672.html

FWP is pretty limited in where they can relocate grizzlies to. Can you imagine the uproar the first time they took one up Sixteenmile and released it?

FWP is pretty limited in where they can relocate grizzlies to. Can you imagine the uproar the first time they took one up Sixteenmile and released it?

Yeah, that would be a stink. To me, the fact they are so limited in where they can release helps illustrate that all appropriate habitat is pretty much occupied, with appropriate having both biological and social measurements.

I am not saying bears should be euthanized, but at what point do we realize that the supply of bears is in excess of the habitat and tolerance for them? Seems once a bear gets euthanized due to lack of places to put them, that will bring further discussion of how much recovery is "recovered enough" to satisfy people.

I suspect we are long past the "recovered enough" phase for most. The USFWS seems to agree. The groups who view Ursus Horribilis as a bovine, cash cow, will never agree. As happened with wolves, the time has come to move beyond the rants of those whose only worry is their bank accounts.

I think you are right on the money. Folks seem to tolerate a naturally expanding population more so than a relocated one. A good case in point is the Gravelly Range. It seems to be a begrudging acceptance by some, but long toes has been able to establish residency and make a living there.

I think the lack of social tolerance is the greatest leverage these wingnut groups have in continuing their fundraising efforts for a species whose population is very well recovered.

Yeah, that would be a stink. To me, the fact they are so limited in where they can release helps illustrate that all appropriate habitat is pretty much occupied, with appropriate having both biological and social measurements.

I am not saying bears should be euthanized, but at what point do we realize that the supply of bears is in excess of the habitat and tolerance for them? Seems once a bear gets euthanized due to lack of places to put them, that will bring further discussion of how much recovery is "recovered enough" to satisfy people.

I suspect we are long past the "recovered enough" phase for most. The USFWS seems to agree. The groups who view Ursus Horribilis as a bovine, cash cow, will never agree. As happened with wolves, the time has come to move beyond the rants of those whose only worry is their bank accounts.

The Legislature tried to stop any relocation of grizz and force euthanization last session. Placing problem bears in other habitats was a good strategy for a while, but I think you're right: We've hit saturation in some places. Other places are providing politicians with a cause du-jour (like the Yaak, etc).

So we're not only fighting the groups who use the Grizz for fundraising purposes, we're fighting the politicians who just don't like ol' Ephraim as well. Lord save us from ourselves.

It's time to delist the Grizz. The science is pretty clear and because of the hard work that you, Randy & others have done - we're ready to manage 'em!

I was one of those who did not accept it for a while. Laughed when a warden and forest service guy said there was 9 known bears in the Eureka Basin alone. If I go there anymore I have a few cans of spray nowadays. Supposedly had a bear come through camp during the day at poison creek and my dad got a citation because I was an idiot and accidentally left a soda in the bed of the truck. Still one of my favorite areas in the state. Just got to be careful when it comes to storage and other stuff. But back to the point. Its time to manage the population for sure.

I think you are right on the money. Folks seem to tolerate a naturally expanding population more so than a relocated one. A good case in point is the Gravelly Range. It seems to be a begrudging acceptance by some, but long toes has been able to establish residency and make a living there.

I think the lack of social tolerance is the greatest leverage these wingnut groups have in continuing their fundraising efforts for a species whose population is very well recovered.

News link here --- [url said:
http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases/fishAndWildlife/nr_0672.html[/url]

They had a Bear last year in what I assume is the same area. Had a bear that killed a cow or something near Bearcreek between Red Lodge and Belfry. Wonder if it was the same ranch. Definitely not your typical thoughts for Grizzly Habitat. More along the lines of badlands type terrain I am guessing about 5-10 miles from the nearest mountains. Time (has been for a while IMO) to carry spray in the unlikely spots also.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 367
Last year I finally saw my first grizzly in eureka basin, he was out in the open east of the sheep shack along gravelly range road. Had him at 25 yards standing in a willow patch (we were in the pick-up), he turned and high tailed it for elk creek. All I can say is that was cool but that is the only way I like to see one.

Labeling "problem bears" is like labeling people. All are different, yes, some are habitual troublemakers that need to be dealt with, while others are mere victims of certian circumstances or environmental conditions. It is absolutley true that the suitable habitat for grizzlies in the lower 48 is probably at or near capacity, but relocation is still a tool that should be afforded bear managers and bears. The botom line is there needs to be a more flexible system of managing bears, regardless of their label, that doesn't involve hard-line quotas, or limits, etc.

Is there any way of determining how many bears they have relocated to certain drainages over the last 10 years or so?

I wonder how they determine which creeks/drainages are suitable for relocated bears, and when/if they put a cap on it?

The only thing limiting the amount of "suitable" land out there is social pressures. The Tobacco Roots, Boulder Mountains, Garnets, Elkhorns, Big Belts, Highlands, and Sapphires are all suitable in terms of being able to support the griz.

As was discussed in an earlier thread, our path to hunting the griz may be contingent upon connectivity between the GYA bears and the populations of griz in the Crown of the Continent.

If griz relocations could occur along the Continental Divide between the two populations, thus providing genetic connectivity, we could get to hunting. In terms of habitat, there is plenty of country for this to occur.

I live in ranching country, and am fully aware of the pushback that occurs when talk of grizzlies in the Boulder Valley is brought up. Locals were vocally opposed when talk of griz in the Tobacco Roots was discussed. Griz are moving both North and South. It is just seems to happening painfully slowly. Whether the ranchers of Southwest MT like it or not, griz are coming to their valleys.Gradually, and minimally, we should be transplanting bears to the connective country.

I am all for giving Grizzlies free reign along the Continental Divide. For the most part it is wild country that could stand to be a little wilder. Shortly after, we could be hunting griz all across western Montana, and not focusing on isolated populations bordering our two National Parks.

Last edited:
Where we rented at last year by Post Creek south of Ronan there were lots of big grizzlies. Before we moved north we had a sow and two cubs grazing cattails right behind our house in early June. For whatever reason they didn't kill much livestock, but did some serious damage to a nearby cornfield.

It would make it tough to hunt in a bear recovery area, and would keep you on edge.

Back