Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Griz attack

You don't think a bear that nearly killed someone should be killed? The next victim may not be so lucky.

No, I do not. Not for that reason. Now, if you want to buy a tag and hunt the bear fair and square, then go for it. But to have the state out there doing it for you? No.

“If people persist in trespassing upon the grizzlies' territory, we must accept the fact that the grizzlies, from time to time, will harvest a few trespassers.”
― Edward Abbey

Last edited:
No, I do not. Not for that reason. Now, if you want to buy a tag and hunt the bear fair and square, then go for it. But to have the state out there doing it for you? No.

You can't buy a tag to hunt grizzlies fair and square. That could be part of the reason why they have no fear of humans. Can I ask if you hunt areas with grizzlies? I do and I think that bears who attack humans should be killed.

You can't buy a tag to hunt grizzlies fair and square. That could be part of the reason why they have no fear of humans. Can I ask if you hunt areas with grizzlies? I do and I think that bears who attack humans should be killed.

1. You can't buy a tag fair and square because there are not enough of them.
2. They have (relatively) no fear of humans because they are grizzly bears.
3. I hike areas with grizzlies (Idaho, Montana and more often Wyoming). But since we don't have them in Colorado, which is the only state I hunt in now (there were no grizzly in Idaho, to speak of, when I lived there) then no, I don't hunt areas with grizzlies. But I would love to.
4. I don't think grizzlies that attack humans should be killed except by the human who is attacked.

Wow. It tracks him down after the first attack and attacks him again. These things are good for nothing but killing folks. But no one wants to get rid of them.
It's all just part of the adventure (I guess).

Stay in New York. mtmuley

1. You can't buy a tag fair and square because there are not enough of them.
2. They have (relatively) no fear of humans because they are grizzly bears.
3. I hike areas with grizzlies (Idaho, Montana and more often Wyoming). But since we don't have them in Colorado, which is the only state I hunt in now (there were no grizzly in Idaho, to speak of, when I lived there) then no, I don't hunt areas with grizzlies. But I would love to.
4. I don't think grizzlies that attack humans should be killed except by the human who is attacked.

We will have to agree to disagree. I love hunting areas with grizzlies. I just think bears who attack people should be killed. Here's a link to the latest anouncement. Looks like they are closing the trail again with no plans to remove the bear.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink....85969764&id=1540138089548920&substory_index=0

I do hunt in areas with griz and think they should be removed if they treat humans as prey. Even though this guy got attacked twice, if that bear was treating him as prey, he'd be dead. And "animal rights activist" is one of the funnier things I've been called.

When you consider there are only ~1000 of them in the lower 48 and then look at the number of deaths this decade (7 so far) and the number of attacks, they are far more dangerous than people give them credit for. Hell, death wise that is one death for every 142 grizzlies. If we factor in attacks then where would be? One attack for every 25 grizzlies? Every 10?

Hard to say. But it is a lot. And for me, that's enough evidence to suggest you are in grave danger any time you are around them. It's not just a "once in a while" thing. And it's not just "part of the adventure". Almost every week someone is posting griz attacks on here.

Last edited:
For any Rambos out there.I have met this guy and seen his impressive collection of animals harvested with..yep..a pistol.I think his ability to defend himself with a pistol probably surpasses 99% of us.Just goes to show how fast these attacks happen.Spraying first is best,I'm thinking.

When you consider there are only ~1000 of them in the lower 48 and then look at the number of deaths this decade (7 so far) and the number of attacks, they are far more dangerous than people give them credit for. Hell, death wise that is one death for every 142 grizzlies. If we factor in attacks then where would be? One attack for every 25 grizzlies? Every 10?

Hard to say. But it is a lot. And for me, that's enough evidence to suggest you are in grave danger any time you are around them. It's not just a "once in a while" thing. And it's not just "part of the adventure". Almost every week someone is posting griz attacks on here.

Clueless!

As an aside, I've got a couple of Todd's knives. They're works of art and work great on elk!

The thing is that if you get between a sow and cubs you'll almost certainly get attacked. Removing that bear isn't removing a problem bear, it is removing a "normal" bear. actually three normal bears including the Cubs.

Maybe be there is some special circumstance that has made this bear more prone to come in contact with humans or fear them less. Then it would be killed. I'll guess theyll collar the bear and keep an eye on it.

As an aside, I've got a couple of Todd's knives. They're works of art and work great on elk!
yeah, I had him sharpen some of mine and he did good. This may have just been an elaborate plan to get more exposure for his knife business ;). Btw, he works or worked for the forest service so he knows the woods. Glad he is in good humor about the ordeal.

The thing is that if you get between a sow and cubs you'll almost certainly get attacked. Removing that bear isn't removing a problem bear, it is removing a "normal" bear. actually three normal bears including the Cubs.

Maybe be there is some special circumstance that has made this bear more prone to come in contact with humans or fear them less. Then it would be killed. I'll guess theyll collar the bear and keep an eye on it.

There are plenty of people attacked by griz that has no cubs. And plenty of times where the sow/cubs found them (such as calling or at an elk kill). And look at the yards they will charge from.

I've had 2 of his knives for almost 20 years, they are still the best I've used. He had a pistol along, didn't use it. Probably the best bet. Glad he's alive to tell the story and show the scars.

Bears that attack, kill and consume ( view humans as a food source) should be killed.
Ones that maul as a defense mechanism shouldn't.

The fact she attacked him twice kind of brings up some questions about her, but he very well could have stumbled into her twice.

Bears that attack, kill and consume ( view humans as a food source) should be killed.
Ones that maul as a defense mechanism shouldn't.

The fact she attacked him twice kind of brings up some questions about her, but he very well could have stumbled into her twice.

Imagine how bad it would be without bear spray?

They should outlaw bear spray and then incorporate your rule - any bear that kills is exterminated. At the rate they're going, they'll all be dead in just a few years.

No way should they kill it, I think the guy should be issued the first griz tag in MT. How cool would it be to kill the bear that attacked you.

No way should they kill it, I think the guy should be issued the first griz tag in MT. How cool would it be to kill the bear that attacked you.

If you could tell the one it is. My guess is this guy will be having second thoughts about going in the woods any time soon. And probably never alone again. And that stinks.

Clueless how? The list of fatal attacks are at the link below. They do no include injury attacks, just deaths. 7 in the lower 48 this decade (so far).

Maybe we should just stop going into the woods. I mean an average of 1.1 people per year. It's amazing they haven't shut down the parks for this epidemic. Probably more people have died taking selfies.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back