Caribou Gear

Gritty Podcast 527: The future of hunting

Just in case you haven't been reading the forum in the last few years. Montana has the seasons you are asking for and hunting is not going in the right direction on public land in Montana.

Ya I was thinking about MT last night while drifting off. I am a big fan of simplicity, how does the below sound?

Lesser numbered species like a Moose.
20% off the top for NR's, Random draw
80% Res only, OTC with caps
2 week pre-order period for Residents of the particular unit. Meaning if they are pre-qualified, they can get a tag as long as one is available, online or in person.

More numerous species like Elk
OTC with caps
2 week pre-order period for Residents of the particular unit.

In this model all points go away. The advantage is to the Resident. There is no danger of a particular scheme imploding. The onus is now on the managing agency to be very accurate with the pre/post projections.

Please apply to CO as well. 🙏

Just in case you haven't been reading the forum in the last few years. Montana has the seasons you are asking for and hunting is not going in the right direction on public land in Montana.

Not a troll, but I do like to troll.
Well that makes you a troll.
It doesn't matter what answer or opinion someone here gives you, whether they are backed up with facts or not, you are going to disagree.
You would would argue with a stump.

Ya I was thinking about MT last night while drifting off. I am a big fan of simplicity, how does the below sound?

2 week pre-order period for Residents of the particular unit. Meaning if they are pre-qualified, they can get a tag as long as one is available, online or in person.

Consider... OTC would become a yearly black fridayesk fist fight.

Montana
22,994 Moose applicants
617 tags,246 moose killed

Colorado
59,157 Moose applicants
478 Tags, 319 moose killed

This equation determines how effective a hunter will be in killing an animal each season
Length of season +Type of weapon + Ease of access (roads, public land) = Success rate

This equation determines how many animals will be killed
Success rate * Hunters = Animals Harvested

This equation determines how many animals hunters can kill
Population - Carrying Capacity = Sustainable Harvest # (excess population)

This equation must be true for sustainable hunting
Sustainable Harvest = Animals Harvested

What effects carrying capacity?
1582063236354.png

Elk are the primary driver of the CO system because the Success rate is low so you can issue more tags.
As many deer are killed in CO as elk, but because the success rate is very high fewer tags are issues, hence less money. Even though price and harvest number are similar.

PA 367,159 Whitetail were killed in 2018, PA has ~1.5 million deer
FL 97,017 Whitetail were killed in 2018, FL has ~700,000 deer

Entire United States: 175,000 elk were killed, Total US elk population 1 million.

Homework.
1582064058047.png

Last edited by a moderator:

More numerous species like Elk
OTC with caps
2 week pre-order period for Residents of the particular unit.

In this model all points go away. The advantage is to the Resident. There is no danger of a particular scheme imploding. The onus is now on the managing agency to be very accurate with the pre/post projections.

Please apply to CO as well. 🙏
I’m more into the up to 10% for NR.

Give all that info to the managing agency, nothing below conflicts with the proposed approach (except the fist fight). I like the fact it makes them have to be razor accurate species counts. As the hunter, the only responsibility is to hold the agency accountable for numbers. Not learn various gambling schemes.

Montana
22,994 Moose applicants

Colorado
59,157 Moose applicants

This equation determines how effective a hunter will be in killing an animal each season
Length of season +Type of weapon + Ease of access (roads, public land) = Success rate

Population - Carrying Capacity = Sustainable Harvest #

View attachment 128473

Elk are the primary driver of the CO system because the Success rate is low so you can issue more tags.
As many deer are killed in CO as elk, but because the success rate is very high fewer tags are issues, hence less money. Even though price and harvest number are similar.

PA 367,159 Whitetail were killed in 2018, PA as ~1.5 million deer

Entire United States: 175,000 elk were killed, Total US elk population 1 million.

Homework.
View attachment 128476

I'll get the better of that stump one of these days 😡

Well that makes you a troll.
It doesn't matter what answer or opinion someone here gives you, whether they are backed up with facts or not, you are going to disagree.
You would would argue with a stump.

Agreed it's good system for antlers. But you can literally project, using declining hunter numbers, when hunting will dry up. Why not shoot for nice antlers and expanding hunter base? With all that corn there has to be a way to do both.
im not sure how the state could open it up to expand the hunter base any more.. anyone can buy antler less tags. plus if you want to expand your hunter base you should look into small game, upland and waterfowl. In Iowa the system is good right now, it works. all you have to do is go to missouri or Illinois to see the shit show of what gun hunting in the rut does

I've been the guy bringing non hunters my entire life. If someone went lobstering, deer hunting, fishing, frog gigging, etc in my circles, it was because my family had the knowledge. This went on from grade school all the way to my recent move. What gave me pause this time, when he asked about bow hunting, was the point schemes. I understand he doesn't have to use points, just the explanation of OTC vs points is going to sound like Greek. It's kinda like Pandora'a box, do I even bother? And I will, but I'm thinking "man you got a lot to learn".

Your best buddy John needs a new hunting mentor, you're not doing it right...

They hunt big bucks in the rut, you guys push them out of draws. Equal means to an end. Both are ethical. I wasn't really picking on Iowa, hell my sister just married one. I was echoing Kevin Costner, build it and they will come. Open up the seasons, and hunters will come.

im not sure how the state could open it up to expand the hunter base any more.. anyone can buy antler less tags. plus if you want to expand your hunter base you should look into small game, upland and waterfowl. In Iowa the system is good right now, it works. all you have to do is go to missouri or Illinois to see the shit show of what gun hunting in the rut does

Hunters, voted the current schemes in place over the course of the last 50 years.

I understand, we aren't the smartest bunch. But we can still wax poetic.

Where do you think my numbers come from

Hunters, voted the current schemes in place over the course of the last 50 years.

On the Gritty topic... For some reason I always thought that the ‘Gritty Bowmen’ were Brian Call and Snyder from Kifaru. I ran out of podcasts on the usual ones I listen to the other day and found the Kifarucast and listened to a few episodes. It appears that the two men are not affiliated and kind of sounded like they may not even like each other?
They did used to be in business together right?
I guess I’m just not up to date on the industry drama!

I'm not up to speed either. I do know that they started out together, but I don't know where the falling our or separation happened. The older pods are better because of A-Ron. The new ones are basically Brian and his brother talking about how awesome Brian is. I know Brian lived in Evergreen for awhile and A-ron shoots arrows at a couple local places. I'm sure some CO folks are way more up to speed than myself.

On the Gritty topic... For some reason I always thought that the ‘Gritty Bowmen’ were Brian Call and Snyder from Kifaru. I ran out of podcasts on the usual ones I listen to the other day and found the Kifarucast and listened to a few episodes. It appears that the two men are not affiliated and kind of sounded like they may not even like each other?
They did used to be in business together right?
I guess I’m just not up to date on the industry drama!

How do you feel about the Gritty bicep check? It goes like this. Look around the room, see other men. Flex bicep, make sure flexed bicep is showing. Look down every 15 seconds at it.

Gritty if you ever read this I only poke fun of those I like. Keep up the content!

Can we get back to the part where gritty is weird😂 by far the most entertaining part of this thread.

You would have to phase the purchase of OTC with caps tags. We do phased roll-outs in IT all the time for enterprise wide efforts.
Maybe have 4-5 purchase dates with the tags distributed evenly?

Montana

22,994 Moose applicants

Colorado
59,157 Moose applicants

Population - Carrying Capacity = Sustainable Harvest # (excess population)

View attachment 128473

PA 367,159 Whitetail were killed in 2018, PA has ~1.5 million deer

Homework.
View attachment 128476

You would have to phase the purchase of OTC with caps tags. We do phased roll-outs in IT all the time for enterprise wide efforts.
Maybe have 4-5 purchase dates with the tags distributed evenly?

We are talking 128 people per 1 tag? You are talking about a ticket master approach... people absolutely hate that shit.

Case in point that is how Colorado did leftover tags, there was so much public disgust with the process that we moved to a secondary draw with a lottery system for left over tags.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back