MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Grip n Grin Alternatives

I have a group of my friends who I give permission to view my hunting albums. They aren't visible to ALL my friends list on FB. I'll post a link to it and say: "Here's my Hunting album. If you can't see it, and would like to, then let me know and I'll add you to the group. "

I will generally add a few non dead critter pictures for ALL to see. Landscapes, scenery, on the trail, in camp...

Those are great pics and a great thread. To me avoiding offense in our pictures, if those are grip and grins or whatever (though these aren't necessarily offensive), is not about appeasing anti hunters, it is about being "full of care" (my preferred rephrase of careful), with the vast majority of people who are not hunting insiders but aren't against it, but they could be. For me it is about my wonderful 11 year old niece who upon seeing Bambi asked her parents if I was a bad person for hunting. She and I talked, I showed her pictures of my kids respectfully admiring their harvest (again not that a grip and grin is necessarily not respectful), and now she wants to go hunting. It wasn't a big deal, but it could have been one more alienated person.

Just an imperfect example of why I'm glad you folks are talking about and taking care with this. We are really careful with this in our youth hunting program too, since in that case, the kids are so proud of their harvest and are going to be mostly showing the pics to non hunters.

A pic I snapped of @Dinkshooter as I headed down the hill and broke into the open after hearing his muzzleloader.

View attachment 152625
Was that you that took the other artsy picture of Dinkshooter astride a bull with cancer stick betwixt his lips? 😁
That’s still the go to mental image I get whenever I read a thread on improvement over grip and grins. 🤣

not that it's particularly artsy, but I really cherish the pictures of my youngest daughter seeing her first dead buck.

1599062318035.png

1599062372041.png

She exclaimed "MY BUCK!"

Now 10 years later, she has taken hunters safety, likes to shoot trap and sporting clays, has killed a turkey but really doesn't want to shoot a deer.

I'm trying to figure out what photo composition conveys the feeling that the meat from the dead critter is cherished. So many of my non hunting friends see a grip and grin and automatically assume the meat is left in the field. But at the same time, meat on the carcass, and blood is "shocking and gross".

Here is what CM Russel Painted :

1599065481059.png

Here's how Winslow Homer painted it:
1599065831740.png

Clark Kelly Price seems to convey the value of the meat as well as antlers in his work.

Poor_Man_s_T-bones_3975x.jpg

No_Place_Like_Home_web_1024x1024@2x.jpg

What_Money_Can_t_Buy_1024x1024@2x.JPG

What seems to be a reoccurring things in what I see as a classy dead critter photo/art like CKP's paintings is :

The antlers are visible but are not not the focus of the photo.
The animal is still whole
You don't see the animals FACE...especially the expression in the eyes or mouth.
The photo focuses on the experience and surroundings
The action focuses on returning to the family successful, inferring you are "bringing home the bacon"

I really like Gerald's photo. Reminds me of a magazine spread. But the sensitive part of me focuses on the "Dead eyes" . When ever we see dead people portrayed peacefully, the eyes are closed. Not glassy and staring. I'm going to try to do more pictures with the eyes shut if I can.

The only photos from hunting trips that I dislike are ones that portray hunters in a negative light. We’ve all seen those photos, but at the end of the day we can’t control what other people do. Me personally, I enjoy a good photo that shows a glimpse of the times I have cherished most with others. My father took this photo last fall.50321CA8-06B9-4650-BF73-ED6D4AC67198.jpeg

Focus could have been better, but i will always put a teaser out on Social media.

1599073300095.png

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back