Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Greatest Western... Ever?

Jeremiah Johnson,Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid,High Plains Drifter,Little Big Man,The Cowboys,Good,Bad and Ugly,The Long Riders,PaleRider,Unforgiven,Josey Wales,Young Guns,Rancho Deluxe,Lonesome Dove,.Pointless to try and remake any of these,...why would you?I'll only see the new True Grit 'cuz I like Jeff Bridges,but it doesn't seem right..I think Hollywood has lost its edge,and has forgotten how to make quality action movies.You don't need over the top special effects,sometimes keeping it simply makes it more believable.Some of the best movies I'll contend were made in the sixties,seventies,eighties without glitz.

I'm still a Jeremiah Johnson fan...I love how it has an intermission. What ever happened to intermissions on movies? It was so nice to have a pee break or food break. Hollywood can keep their 3D crap if they give me back the intermission.

I think to be fair oyu have to compare westerns within their Sub genre, and their decade.

To me a Western is either a "cowboy" Western, a "gunslinger" Western or a "Settling the West " Western.

Best Cowboy Western....Gotta give it to Lonesome dove, but Culpepper Cattle Co, and the Cowboys each win their Decade..

Best Gunslinger Western...Silverado, for the 80's and Open Range for the 2000's.

Best Settling the West Western goes to The Mountain Men and Jeremiah Johnson in a tie.

Lots of goodies here. Only read one title to a movie that I didn't enjoy so far.

Haven't seen Shane mentioned yet.

and an oldie The Wild Bunch

Edit: Watched the new True Grit. Good movie, worth watching... but it has nothing on the original. In my opinion. Original was better, but Mr Bridges didn't shame the Duke. Matt Damon pulled off a role I never expected to see him in.

Last edited:
Sytes, get the trilogy (Horses, the CrossingCities of the Plains) from Cormac McCarthy. Great books that will blow the movies away.

Also - 2011 will see production on McCarthy's Blood Meridian. If done right, that will be the greatest western ever made. It would also be banned in most of the civilized world. :)

Ben, you'll get an AMEN from NoHarley and myself on that!!!

Sytes, get the trilogy (Horses, the CrossingCities of the Plains) from Cormac McCarthy. Great books that will blow the movies away.

Also - 2011 will see production on McCarthy's Blood Meridian. If done right, that will be the greatest western ever made. It would also be banned in most of the civilized world. :)
I agree, the trilogy is great!! Some of the best writing I've enjoyed. Definitely not cheerful. Haven't read Blood Meridian yet, but I've heard its the best of McCarthy's work.

I really like Open Range. The dialogue is remarkable.

I actually prefer Wyatt Earp to Tombstone, but both are good.

Anyone else see the made for HBO western "The Jack Bull". Had John Cusack in it and was also a damn good western.

Just an observation but, in my opinion, an important factor regarding the popularity of the 'new' True Grit is the scarcity of skilled cinematography, story and character development. In other words, the Coens beat the chit out of most of the crap coming out of hollyweird...even when they do a rerun.

A couple more honorable mentions; Cat Ballou and Paint Your Wagon...both Lee Marvin gems....also any western with Glenn Ford or Gary Cooper.

In 1939 Warner Brothers produced the movie "Dodge City", starring Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Alan Hale, Sr., Ann Sheridan, Ward Bond. The world premiere was at the Dodge Theater and Warner Brothers brought a special train from Hollywood with the stars for that event.

DodgeCity03.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_City_(1939_film)

You gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie?

The Outlaw Josey Wales, I reckon so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenleafoutfitters
Back