Great Venison recipe

Foxtrot1

I've been working on this one for a while. It'll give any beef tenderloin a run for it's money and is really simple.

Ingredients:

Venison backstrap cut into 1 1/4-1 1/2" thick medallions
Real butter
Montreal steak seasonings (or course salt, pepper, and garlic)
Garlic and herb feta cheese
Olive oil

Set backstrap out to come up to room temp for 30 mins or so before cooking. Coat it generously with the Montreal steak seasoning. Preheat the oven to 350. Soften equal parts of butter and garlic herb feta and whip with a fork. You want about a tablespoon of the mixture per serving. Heat a cast iron skillet til HOT. Water dropped on it should sizzle and pop. I use the side burner of the grill to keep smoke out of the house. Drizzle olive oil into the skillet and drop the venison in it. Sear each side approximately 3 minutes. Remove the skillet to the oven and finish it for 3 minutes til medium-medium rare. Size of the medallions and their temp before cooking will affect cooking time. Do not overcook. Plate the pieces and spoon a dollop of the herbed butter onto each piece and serve instantly.

I have served this to 4-5 people now that have never had venison. All of them raved. Let me know what you guys think

Here's a photo of a ribeye cooked this way. I couldn't get a photo of the deer, it was disappearing too quick.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 521
Thanks for this. I have used this method several times since seeing it here. It makes a great steak whether it is beef or venison. It is also very easy to cook each steak to different tastes of done ness.

As odd as this sounds, I use the "gourmet burger" mixture by Weber as a rub.

That recipe sure looks and practically smells a winner! Thanks - I'll give that a go next time.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back