Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Great lakes cormorant control permits

cheeser

We have twenty of so in the lake where I live in Maryland. I had never seen them around here until a few years ago. They are interesting and efficient hunters for sure. Not sure I care to eat one...

I see an opportunity to make some money. Would anyone find it odd if I were the director of “Fish Forevermore” an anti-cormorant fund raising group and also the director of “The Cormorant Society” dedicated to save these precious birds from eradication at the hands of greedy hunters.

All the cute cash cows have been claimed. This might be second tier but at least it’s something. 😁

Growing up fishing Lake Erie, the Cormorants took over the islands (West Sister, Middle Sister) and their excrement was so acidic it basically destroyed the vegetation.

Growing up fishing Lake Erie, the Cormorants took over the islands (West Sister, Middle Sister) and their excrement was so acidic it basically destroyed the vegetation.
They have denuded many islands on the north end of lake MI as well.

I think they are legal game in Alaska. Perhaps a member from up North can share a recipe. My hunger would have to be pretty serious before I roasted one though.

The Feds were taking several thousand each year on Lake Champlain due to the habitat destruction they were causing when their population just exploded. They invited me along a couple times. One morning they dropped me off under an old RR bridge. We had set out decoys both floaters and standing on the trestle. I was in waders under the trestle. I shot several hundred birds that morning. My Beretta 686 got so hot, I would dunk the barrels to cool them. 3" 1 3/8 oz. Black Cloud #3. The biologists scooped up the dead birds from a boat as the wind pushed them north from my position. Thousands of cormorants would stage in that area in September. No, I didn't eat any 🤢

Yea I see this on the manitou islands. All the trees are dying where they roost. It’s pretty wild looking and a huge area.

Back