Gravity water filtration

I can't give a specific recommendation to the brand. I would think all the major brands work fine. I like gravity filtering (I made my own w/ Sawyer mini) but I also carry a pump and tablets. I'll carry all in the truck and I'll always have tablets on me. The decision between the pump and the gravity filter comes down to how much water I expect to pump and how long I'll be there. The gravity setup is a little heavier and slower (but less effort) so I'll bring it when I plan to stay at least a day somewhere or I am filtering for multiple people. I'll use the pump if I'm looking to shave ounces. I hate pumping, though.

FWIW they don't work on commission.

Hah, I guess he was just a pretty big fan of the pump units then.

I just get suspicious when someone tries to upsell me while providing almost no logic why I should be doing it.

But I've done well at REI with many things. Just remember, they aren't hunters and seem to have a different mindset about things.

Be careful and don't let the filters freeze, if in freezing conditions you might want to go with aquamira drops. Plus they are lighter to carry. Have been delving into the backpacking world lately since I want to do a long distance hike and most of that community is using the Sayer Squeeze < $50, and then substitute the Cnoc Outdoors Vecto 2L Water Container ($20)for the crappy squeeze bag Sayer has. As a hunting community I think we should pay a little more attention to our ultralight backpacking brothers and sisters. They really have some great ideas to cut weight. Just wished they would volunteer to pay a little excise tax on their stuff.

I also use a two Sawyer Mini system. One in line on my hydration bladder and one in camp as a gravity filter. I use the platypus bags and just hand it in a tree or for quick water, just squeeze. I usually fill a nalgene bottle at night for morning coffee and teeth brushing, then fill my bladder up for the day in a creek or stream close to camp.

When i am done for the night, I shake out the filter, blow it out, then wrap it in my extra wool sock so the filter has no way of freezing. For $25/pair, Sawyer makes a great option.

I may be in the minority here, but I have had nothing but trouble from gravity filters. Had the MSR model years ago, and it clogged all the time. Never filtered silty water, backflushed regularly, and still had it fail on me several times in the field. Thankfully I had some iodine pills as a backup.

Tried the Sawyer Inline, both as a gravity filter and drinking from the tube while wearing my pack. Never let it freeze, only filtered clean-ish water, and again- clogging, slow flows, etc.

I'm back to using the trusty old pump filter. It's more work, but it has never caused a problem. I also like the idea of a Steri-Pen. It's slower, so not ideal for a group of people, but they look pretty slick for one person.

Sawyer as a good choice, I often use Sawyer Products B0899 NW4 for short trips. Super convenient. I can just fill the dirty bag, attach the filter and let gravity do all the work. As long as you rinse the filter at the end of the day, the flow rate should be fine.

Last edited:
I also like the idea of a Steri-Pen. It's slower, so not ideal for a group of people, but they look pretty slick for one person.
We tried one last year and it worked great...until it didn't. We tried new batteries when we got home, but no luck. Steri-pen replaced it (it was about 1 year old), but that won't do you any good if you are miles from a trailhead or another source of clean water.

I’m thinking of buying a Sawyer gravity filtration system for my water needs this fall in Colorado. I’m dizzy from trying to decide which brand to buy as the choices are substantial. This will be for one person and maybe two. Mostly one.
Any thoughts,suggestions or input would be t

I’m thinking of buying a Sawyer gravity filtration system for my water needs this fall in Colorado. I’m dizzy from trying to decide which brand to buy as the choices are substantial. This will be for one person and maybe two. Mostly one.
Any thoughts,suggestions or input would be appreciated
Was too quick on the trigger... I’ve been very happy with my Sawyer minis throughout the years. The backflushing capability prolongs the life, too.

I may be in the minority here, but I have had nothing but trouble from gravity filters. Had the MSR model years ago, and it clogged all the time. Never filtered silty water, backflushed regularly, and still had it fail on me several times in the field. Thankfully I had some iodine pills as a backup.

Tried the Sawyer Inline, both as a gravity filter and drinking from the tube while wearing my pack. Never let it freeze, only filtered clean-ish water, and again- clogging, slow flows, etc.

I'm back to using the trusty old pump filter. It's more work, but it has never caused a problem. I also like the idea of a Steri-Pen. It's slower, so not ideal for a group of people, but they look pretty slick for one person.
I've always stayed with the tried and true Katadyn Hiker Pro. I did get a Sawyer this year to try out for an early season hunt.

I've always stayed with the tried and true Katadyn Hiker Pro. I did get a Sawyer this year to try out for an early season hunt.
My Hiker is so old, it's a Pur.

I'm sold on the Sawyer mini. We used it for a week in the breaks, filtering water out of Fort Peck & it did great, and we've used it in MI for camping, etc. Just backflush it every night, as was mentioned, and you'll be good to go.

We also went to Smart Bottle 2.5 gallon bags. They've held up well to a lot of abuse so far.

I made a 2-bucket filter with a sawyer that worked really great on my last trip. It saved us a TON of time.

Honestly I cant say enough about this setup. I used a t-shirt as a pre screen to keep the junk out of the top bucket.

The upper and lower chambers, as well as the filter medium, are included in most gravity filters. Perhaps the producers had already put them together when they were shipped out, so they were ready to use right away. However, some gravity filters necessitate a few more setups in order to fully appreciate their capabilities.
Begin by determining the type of water you'll be filtering. To avoid unsatisfactory results, be sure that all of the parts are correctly sealed. The device will be completely responsible for attaining your intended outcomes once the filtration process begins.

Sawyer Squeeze (avoid mini and micro like the plague? + CNOC VECTO bag + SmartWater bottles.
Easy, lightweight, and cheap.
What's not to love?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back