Gratuitous Bird and Dog Photos

Not quite sure where that slap comes from @Hem, but with 14 bird seasons behind him and a good start on number 15, I suspect he has hunted more than 99% of the dogs here. And he looks a lot happier than yours to boot.

Maybe I'll train him to hunt mushrooms next...

Not quite sure where that slap comes from @Hem, but with 14 bird seasons behind him and a good start on number 15, I suspect he has hunted more than 99% of the dogs here. And he looks a lot happier than yours to boot.

Maybe I'll train him to hunt mushrooms next...
Ha...just kidding you cranky.
Maybe your dog has hunted, but I would bet my house my dog can make it to the top of the mountain and back and have a helluva lot more left in the tank.
I chit you not.😉

Ha...just kidding you cranky.
Maybe your dog has hunted, but I would bet my house my dog can make it to the top of the mountain and back and have a helluva lot more left in the tank.
I chit you not.😉
BFD. When your dog, at 5200 days of age, climbs the stairs you can come tell me about it. Gus was on his fourth day of hunting in that photo so we took a break on the trail. I couldn't care less about your dog.

BFD. When your dog, at 5200 days of age, climbs the stairs you can come tell me about it. Gus was on his fourth day of hunting in that photo so we took a break on the trail. I couldn't care less about your dog.
Easy...my bad. Wasn't trying to start anything.
Apologies.

No, my apologies. Indeed, I do seem to be pretty damn grumpy, and I don't even know why. I'm sorry about that.
No worries @BrentD . It's on me.
For the record, Sid wouldn't smile for the camera cuz I made him stop for a few minutes and a drink. 😄

Gus and I did another trip up north again. It was almost perfect conditions. This is our third of the year, and just 2 days of hunting, but I had to go up to seed and mulch the banks of our new drive and culvert which took all summer to get approved. So, 2 days of grousing while we were "in the area".

This was the first grouse and a big one. But really strange coloration. Anyone that says there are only brown and grey grouse haven't seen many. This grey tailed/red ruff is a first for me. Someone calls this a cinnamon plumage. I like that.

I4bD7dG.jpg

Same bird
eXiB1HL.jpg

R8lyTyp.jpg

A relatively rare "normal" red/brown bird. It had a black ruff, like normal.
p9U0V1k.jpg

07jFA5y.jpg

JVDnLHx.jpg

Got another one of these also. The only one we saw. I've got to figure out how to cook them tonight. They sure pluck nicely.
TUH77oQ.jpg

The scenery is never bad. Some trumpeter swans way in back too.
T7IeeoP.jpg

Grilled grouse tonight. Maybe a butter and maple syrup glaze.

Gus and I did another trip up north again. It was almost perfect conditions. This is our third of the year, and just 2 days of hunting, but I had to go up to seed and mulch the banks of our new drive and culvert which took all summer to get approved. So, 2 days of grousing while we were "in the area".

This was the first grouse and a big one. But really strange coloration. Anyone that says there are only brown and grey grouse haven't seen many. This grey tailed/red ruff is a first for me. Someone calls this a cinnamon plumage. I like that.

I4bD7dG.jpg

Same bird
eXiB1HL.jpg

R8lyTyp.jpg

p9U0V1k.jpg

07jFA5y.jpg

JVDnLHx.jpg

Got another one of these also. The only one we saw. I've got to figure out how to cook them tonight. They sure pluck nicely.
TUH77oQ.jpg

T7IeeoP.jpg

I hope you saved the fan. That’s a neat looking ruffie!

I4bD7dG.jpg

Same bird
eXiB1HL.jpg

R8lyTyp.jpg

p9U0V1k.jpg

07jFA5y.jpg

JVDnLHx.jpg

TUH77oQ.jpg

T7IeeoP.jpg

Some really nice grouse you got there, great post.

I've been fortunate to shoot my fair share of ruffed grouse over the years and have only taken two "cinnamon" phase birds. I have the first one mounted and the second one was still alive when my dog retrieved it. It tried to get away and chomp! The tail get a bit messed up in the melee. Absolutely gorgeous bird!

@Mica Man, been jealous of your mixed bags. We (dog and I) had ourselves a memorable day. Had two spots to check out, one is more grouse habitat and the other more pheasant habitat. Ended up with 4 birds, 3 species. And the ruffed grouse has that rufous red neck like Brent's!

IMG_6162.jpg

IMG_6141.jpg
IMG_6152.jpg

I should have had a second pheasant, too. Flushed it out of the grousiest looking cover near a swamp. Never seen a pheasant in that area and I hunt it a fair bit. I knocked it down at about 40 yards crossing. Dog marks it and is racing full speed towards it, and it gets up, flies across the swamp, and off into the abyss. 1oz of 7.5s and IC choke not ideal for 40 yard pheasants. Sucks when you lose them, but overall, one of the best upland days I've had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back