Yeti GOBOX Collection

Gratuitous Bird and Dog Photos

Ever hunted them in the lower 48?
Never. When I lived in Utah, there was a population of white-tailed ptarmigan planted in the mid 1970s,
but I never went after them (I did shoot many blue grouse at high elevations back then).

I like rock ptarmigan because I can hunt them on steep slopes, letting the dog range above me and
when flushed they fly down slope for safe shots.

One thing I do not like about ptarmigan on level ground is they
sometimes flush and fly 3 feet off the ground (low flushes).

The low flushes really caused me concern when I was guiding but the clients paid attention. Tended to hunt them on windy days as we had the 185 pretty well loaded with dogs, guns, ammo, clients. Wind made getting on and off the sand blows easier.
Ptarmigan are not sophisticated like tough old roosters, two or three wing beats and turn down wind.
Never have hunted them down south

Who else sits in the front row of the movies??!?!?

It's 100 degrees out there today, so we're stuck hiding in the coldest corner of the house, AC full tilt, marking those roosters as they tumble out of the sky. I think this is my favorite thread. Ready to contribute some more pics this fall. 1 month til our first trip this season

IMG_5772.jpg

Who else sits in the front row of the movies??!?!?

It's 100 degrees out there today, so we're stuck hiding in the coldest corner of the house, AC full tilt, marking those roosters as they tumble out of the sky. I think this is my favorite thread. Ready to contribute some more pics this fall. 1 month til our first trip this season

View attachment 289085
That's hilarious!!!

Go NATE!!!!

Packing for Africa and Puppy wants to make sure she's not left behind.
20230728_120616.jpg
She had a cancer scare while I was gone but it resolved by the time I returned. Vet gave her the official green light yesterday. Recall that she had an internal cancerous tumor the size of a softball removed from next to her liver back in January. Tough little bugger.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back