Yeti GOBOX Collection

Grandpa's Parker

SixPoint

For nearly twenty years I have owned an old double barrel shotgun that I inherited from my grandfather. On the wall it hung and in the cabinet it sat. "Damascus steel, you don't dare shoot that thing" seemed like all I heard from anyone I would ask. It wasn't until this spring that I finally decided to get serious and talk to someone who actually knows a thing or two about these beautiful firearms. I took it to Hill Rod and Gun in Bozeman. Charlie quickly convinced me that this was safe to shoot and after a thorough cleaning, he had me up and running. Today my Wife, the Dog and I went on the year's first grouse hunt, and I have to say that just carrying a gun in the field that's been handed down through three if not four generations is pretty special. We even lucked out, and a limit of grouse fell victim to grandpa's old Parker. I'm sure my grandfather had a big smile on his face today, watching his old gun chase birds again.

DSC_8341.jpgDSC_8357.jpgDSC_8359.jpg

Good story, old guns passed on to and used by another..... I never had the good fortune of inheriting any firearms. Absolutely nobody in my family was a hunter - somehow I was born with the bug. The broke open old Parker, buttstock resting on the rock and the Ruffie is a classic photo.
Charlie knows a couple of my way less classy guns, too............

Beautiful gun and love the history behind it. My grandfather hunted, but never had much of a gun collection. He has the basics a 30-30, .22 and a 12 gauge. My first doe was taken with his Marlin 30-30 with iron sights. It will be handed down to me someday, but I hope that day isn't anytime soon!

I hope to someday have a story similar to this one written about a gun I passed down to my grandchildren. Thanks for the inspiration.

Old guns are made to hunt. That Damascus, if done properly, is every bit as strong as modern steel. The killer is rust between the bands. I've got a few Damascus barreled guns and try to use them every fall. Don't put any heavy loads through it and it'll be fine. You don't need much more than 1 1/8 loads for upland anyway. :)

That Parker is a dandy. Love that it's up and hunting. Your grandfather would be pleased.

Great story! I am next in line to get a Parker that was my great grand father's, and I hope I can shoot one quail with it, just to see how it feels, if there are any wild birds left in the southeast...

Awesome pictures - glad that you are taking that gun out for a spin.

My Dad has a big soft spot for old doubles. No Parker's though. Congrats on a great hunt.

Old guns like that tickle my fancy. It really means something to hold them and hunt them again. It feels like your treasures in life are right there walking with you.

Back