Yeti GOBOX Collection

Gps?

mnelkhunter

I am looking at picking up a GPS for this falls Colorado Elk Hunt. The past years I have used my buddies extra, but it is time to pick up my own unit. I like the Garmin Rino that he uses, but I can't pay the amount that they cost. Does anyone have any experience with the Garmin Etrex 20, or similar unit?

I use the Etrex 20, it works, I'm still here and haven't gotten lost. It accepts chips, is in color, very easy to use (if you use the book). It's very affordable and small.

Biggest CON, the toggle button on the screen moves the cursor, so if it is in your pocket and go to look at it, you could be in Canada,, Just hit the back button and it will go back to current location. It also takes longer then my impatient butt likes for it to zoom in/out and go across the areas in search of stuff/areas.

I have the 450T but like JC not fond of the touch screen....I'm an old fart. The screen I can see is great.lol

I've had various Garmin's for quite a few years. I now have a model 62sc. Here's my opinions. Best features: It works well, and goes into sleep mode while it's on, so the batteries last far longer than the older units. Just touch a button and it wakes up. Worst features: The glass on these Garmin's scratch very easily, and there's Garmin doesn't seem to care about making it feasible to send in to replace the screen. I know there's covers available, but I think the make it harder to use all the buttons. Garmin also wants you to to use their Basecamp mapping software feature on your laptop to upload/download your activities. I think Basecamp is a giant step backwards from the program they used to have. It was simpler and easier to use. I also think they need better clips or attachment options for their GPS's. Mine has a carabiner to attach it to whatever, which then flops around. I've found sheaths to slip it in, but again they can scratch the screen. Grrrrrrr.

My Buddy has the 20, it seems like a decent unit for the money. I have the 450t and the 600t myself both of them are good units too.

Kevin

I have the 64ST because I didn't want the touchscreen but I did put a screensaver on it though and it comes with a carabiner. If I had to do it over again I would probably not buy the model with topo maps because I just downloaded them from GPS File Depot.

I've got the 64ST. Love it. Decided not to get the touch screen one again because last time it lasted one trip through the badlands and I dropped it. Ruined the whole unit.

I'm using a 64st and an Oregon 650 for work. Greatly prefer the 64st over the Oregon. About to pick one up myself for personal use as my 15 yr old eTrex finally died.

Use your phone, almost nothing you can't do with it you can do with a GPS and phone has many advantages! here we go again...lol

C

Back