MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Gonna rebarrel, but to what?

7mm STW is an awesome round! Two things to consider; 1) you might want a muzzle brake because it has a kick, and 2) check you magazine length or you might wind up with a cool single shot.

If you go with a 338 WM all you have to do is a rebore. A lot cheaper than a rebarrel and a significant upgrade in UMMMPPHH !

Will the STW fit the action length?
All but the STW are "standard" length cartridges. Aka 06' length case of 2.50".
The STW based on the 8mm Rem Mag is a "long" length case/action. 2.80".

Also if you look towards the RUM, or Nosler cartridges, you may be looking at carrying 1 less round in the mag due to the increased case diameter. 0.54-0.55" vs 0.532 " of the "standard" magnums.

Conversion of 7mm Rem Mag to 7mm Dakota is straight forward chamber reaming job. But they flat out tell you to expect to carry one less round in the mag.

Will the STW fit the action length?
All but the STW are "standard" length cartridges. Aka 06' length case of 2.50".
The STW based on the 8mm Rem Mag is a "long" length case/action. 2.80".

Also if you look towards the RUM, or Nosler cartridges, you may be looking at carrying 1 less round in the mag due to the increased case diameter. 0.54-0.55" vs 0.532 " of the "standard" magnums.

Conversion of 7mm Rem Mag to 7mm Dakota is straight forward chamber reaming job. But they flat out tell you to expect to carry one less round in the mag.

That's certainly another consideration to research further. In assuming a gunsmith is used, they would/should advise on feasibility of the swap. There are so many things to consider it is easy to miss one that would frustrate you to no end.

Last edited:
STW will fit in a Remington long action but I’d do 28 nosler over the 7mm stw for brass choices and OAL

How would recoil be in the 338 edge in a sub 10lb rifle? Practicality has me leaning towards the 7mm, but I kinda want a 338 just to have it.
If you are in the least recoil sensitive, you'll then have a rifle "For Sale" rather than a rifle that needs conversion.

Considering the action/magazine length, any of the Creedmore or WSM/short mag calibers would be a waste. Not long enough for the long rounds like the STW. Consider the 7mm WBY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back