Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

a trendy little project

I'd probably go with the win mag, or the 06AI for ease of making brass over not being able to find proprietary brass. IMO the 6.5 field is so saturated and you're going to see a large "winterkill" on many of the redundant cartridges in the next 5-10 years. Only a couple are going to survive. 6.5s just don't really do it for me, even though I have a couple. Haha. Sure, they are capable, but not really a one rifle type deal for me and for bigger game, I'd rather shoot a bigger dia bullet given the choice.

It sounds like a fun project though. Seems like the switch barrel thing is soon to be the new way of selling more ammo and keeping rifle companies going.

Seems like the switch barrel thing is soon to be the new way of selling more ammo and keeping rifle companies going.
Seems like it, but hasn’t Blaser been doing it for years? Between switch barrels and the straight pull action just another instance of stuff Europe does for years and then it catches on over here and it’s “the latest and greatest.”

In today’s world I think I would pick the one I can feed.
I looked last week for 270 brass for my brothers’ rifles and could not find any.
I see quite a bit of 264 but that is very rare and buy it now because it will be gone very soon.
A gunsmith I use loves the 6.5x280ai but Finding powder might be a challenge.

Set in a good supply now, nothing worse than a hungry new gun.
I have been finding quite a bit of 270 brass where I'm at. Even found large rifle primers and powder has been a lot easier to find lately. Hopefully the reloading supplies will get better. But yeah if you see what you want you better grab it while you can.

Seems like it, but hasn’t Blaser been doing it for years? Between switch barrels and the straight pull action just another instance of stuff Europe does for years and then it catches on over here and it’s “the latest and greatest.”
Pretty sure a Blaser rifle costs more than the last 6-7 rifles I bought. You are right, about the switch barrel though, which also cost as much as the last 3 rifles I bought. So I could have nearly 10 rifles for the cost of one with a barrel. TC used to make switch barrel rifles and pistols, not sure if they still do?

Pretty sure a Blaser rifle costs more than the last 6-7 rifles I bought. You are right, about the switch barrel though, which also cost as much as the last 3 rifles I bought. So I could have nearly 10 rifles for the cost of one with a barrel. TC used to make switch barrel rifles and pistols, not sure if they still do?
If you're talking about the Encore and Contender, I'm pretty sure they still do. I'm pretty fond of those rifles.

In today’s world I think I would pick the one I can feed.
I looked last week for 270 brass for my brothers’ rifles and could not find any.
I see quite a bit of 264 but that is very rare and buy it now because it will be gone very soon.
A gunsmith I use loves the 6.5x280ai but Finding powder might be a challenge.

Set in a good supply now, nothing worse than a hungry new gun.
Easy to use 7mm RM brass to make 264 WM brass.

If you're talking about the Encore and Contender, I'm pretty sure they still do. I'm pretty fond of those rifles.

Smith and Wesson mothballed Thompson Center last year. Not sure if they sold and will be or are being manufactured again but last I heard there were no encores or contenders being produced.

I did a smokeless muzzleloader encore the fall prior and glad I got it put together in time. They have risen in value considerably.

I don't understand all this talk about finding brass to feed a rifle. Do people just buy 20 or 50 pieces to shoot until it's trash and then look for more? Get a barrel life's worth of brass and worry about it when it's time for the next barrel.

Smith and Wesson mothballed Thompson Center last year. Not sure if they sold and will be or are being manufactured again but last I heard there were no encores or contenders being produced.

I did a smokeless muzzleloader encore the fall prior and glad I got it put together in time. They have risen in value considerably.
that's dumb and they should feel dumb. Wish I'd have made a 300 H&H break open open when I had the chance.
I don't understand all this talk about finding brass to feed a rifle. Do people just buy 20 or 50 pieces to shoot until it's trash and then look for more? Get a barrel life's worth of brass and worry about it when it's time for the next barrel.
Finances are a thing. I can't afford to buy 200 pieces of expensive 6.5 RPM brass at a time, but I can afford to buy the cheaper and easier to find 7mm rem mag brass, even if it's once fired. That's all I typically care about.

that's dumb and they should feel dumb. Wish I'd have made a 300 H&H break open open when I had the chance.

Finances are a thing. I can't afford to buy 200 pieces of expensive 6.5 RPM brass at a time, but I can afford to buy the cheaper and easier to find 7mm rem mag brass, even if it's once fired. That's all I typically care about.

Just looked, you could still get an encore frame pretty easy just might not be quite as economical as they used to be. Still not talking bolt action prices.

Just looked, you could still get an encore frame pretty easy just might not be quite as economical as they used to be. Still not talking bolt action prices.
I have too many projects lined up... what's one more lol

Honestly, I used to do this. I have 100 pieces of Peterson on back order right now. Trying to do this differently from here out. Probably should have ordered 250.

I started with 100 ADG .300 PRC brass… now about to start load #3 for most and I wish I had bought 250.
I just never used to worry about it, it was easy enough to get more.

I have about 200 cases for my 6.5. I should be pretty well set for it.

I just saw more ADG brass.

I have hundreds of cases for 25-06, even offloaded some to @std7mag and have an abundance yet. I have 150 pieces of 280 AI but 50 of those are a different brand. Don’t use it.

I gotta ask....

What's the problem with 6.5-284?
Plenty of speed, plus lets you seat heavy bullets out with the long action & magazine length.
Also there's a gazillion quality cases out there, curtesy of all the match shooters using it.

I really gotta thank @nhenry & @Backofbeyond for the 25-06 cases!
I have 90gr BlitzKings, 100 & 115gr Ballistic Tips, 115gr Berger VLD, 120gr Partition, 120gr HPBT GameKings all loaded up.
Been playing with Vihtavouri N555 powder & 115gr VLD in the 25-06.
Seems to like the low node of 53.0gr.

I gotta ask....

What's the problem with 6.5-284?
Plenty of speed, plus lets you seat heavy bullets out with the long action & magazine length.
Also there's a gazillion quality cases out there, curtesy of all the match shooters using it.

I really gotta thank @nhenry & @Backofbeyond for the 25-06 cases!
I have 90gr BlitzKings, 100 & 115gr Ballistic Tips, 115gr Berger VLD, 120gr Partition, 120gr HPBT GameKings all loaded up.
Been playing with Vihtavouri N555 powder & 115gr VLD in the 25-06.
Seems to like the low node of 53.0gr.
Didn’t even think of it, to be honest. That’d be another option and I wouldn’t have to mess with the bolt face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back