Going to be a good fall-Elk down!

Well started the day by sneaking into the backside of an oat field in the dark. Just as we got up on it a WT for busted us and started stomping. That made the elk in the field nervous and they left 6-7 cows and a spike. We then circled back to get ahead of them in case a bull was with them but hiding back in the bush. We get circled around no elk so we call for a few minutes but by now the wind has died off and is so swirly. So once again we decide to back out a half mile or so to just listen and go after one later in the morning when the wind picks up. We were just getting out to an open part of the pasture and I saw an elk. Not sure how big but ran ahead 20’ for a clear shot and got the gun setup. Then I realized a cow was ahead and there was a bull chasing her about 50 yards behind. He came over the little crest and I saw long tines and I stopped him with a cow call. He stopped almost broadside saw he had a good frame to go with those long tines. Flicked the safety off the 338 win mag got as solid as I could on my knees. I had called for a range but my GF was having a difficult time finding the range finder so I estimated 300 put the crosshairs centre of the shoulder half way up and boom. Immediately he took off with no reaction so I quickly sent another one down range and then stood up to send a third when I thought I saw him drop. I was pretty confident In a hit but he never acted hit at all and no whap from the bullet hitting. We went up there and didn’t find him right away so panic started to set in then we went a little
Further and could see his antler sticking up. He had collapsed in a small draw! Then it was time to go for the tools and the trailers to get him taken care of. Half hour into opening morning it was all over. Even with scouting every day since September 5 I have never laid eyes in this elk. Better to be lucky than good. Him and the cow must have trotted by my parked truck at about 150 yards this morning just prior to me shooting him IMG_1226.jpegIMG_1214.jpegIMG_1205.jpegIMG_1209.jpegIMG_1215.jpegIMG_1219.jpeg

Congrats on a great bull!! Bummer your hunt had to end so early!! :ROFLMAO:

I think you should make everyone guess the score before you post. Could be fun!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back