Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Going to be a good fall-Elk down!

Set a camera where I saw a huge bull elk last year. Probably was 360 not sure if he’s alive but we will see. This spot got planted to hay vs crop like in the past. Saw two sets of elk tracks out there but not much activity which isn’t a surprise since it was planted late and the grass is 4” high vs everywhere else is 2’ high. Guess we will see if it attracts any elk this fall. When it gets cut will factor in and if how much the cattle pound down the pasture across the fence. On plus side this spot won’t be cattle grazed so it might be enough to attract the elk across the fence
IMG_0824.jpeg

Permission on another 8x 1/4’s tonight and a probably on another 6 last night. I still have five people I want to talk to plus one more area to check out so probably a few more guys there. I’m going to have permisison for half the hunting area by the time season hits lol.

Was such a nice night I had to take a break from making summer sausage to go scouting. Checked out new country and of course had to check out old faithful. This spot impresses me every time I see a cow or two but judging by the sign there is a lot more around. Now hopefully there is a big bull or a big bull moves in come September.
When looking at the pictures factor in it rained this morning!IMG_0857.jpeg
IMG_0856.jpeg

Explored more country tonight. Nice looking area will have to make some phone calls. Ended the night at old trusty (the road with all the tracks) and elk were everywhere. I saw 12 tonight I think. 6 bulls 5 rags one was a 5pt. His bottom half looked good hoping the top continues to grow and he grows some 6th points. I know elk grow quick but not sure how quick. Also seen the Saskatoon berries are getting close to being ripe and there is tons!

Some elk scouting this morning mostly berry picking. Although a person notices things going slow looking for berries vs quick looking for elk. Was glad to see this old rub from last year means they should be around come fall. Lots of Saskatoon berries that was about two hours of picking before I was bored lol

IMG_0887.jpeg
IMG_0886.jpeg

Well bit of a kink in my elk hunting plans. Can’t get permisison where the bulls in the pictures above are. Now they are coming out of some bush that’s approximately 400-600 yards wide that runs along the river for miles. Now those three bulls were coming from the west but all the cows are coming out of where I have permission a mile away to the east. The cows are coming out of a solid 1 mile by mile chunk of bush that is super thick with canola on one side oats on the other. Elk seem to like both but I think oats is a bit better especially if they stay standing. Seems they have a passion for pounding trails through oat fields lol. My guess is the bulls will move to the cows later august early September. What’s your opinions?

Well bit of a kink in my elk hunting plans. Can’t get permisison where the bulls in the pictures above are. Now they are coming out of some bush that’s approximately 400-600 yards wide that runs along the river for miles. Now those three bulls were coming from the west but all the cows are coming out of where I have permission a mile away to the east. The cows are coming out of a solid 1 mile by mile chunk of bush that is super thick with canola on one side oats on the other. Elk seem to like both but I think oats is a bit better especially if they stay standing. Seems they have a passion for pounding trails through oat fields lol. My guess is the bulls will move to the cows later august early September. What’s your opinions?
Sorry that I don't have input on this issue but I'm pulling for you!

Went out and checked out the elk tonight. Pretty sure the two bulls are the ones I took pictures of in the canola and they are looking real good! Any score guesses on the two bulls? I know if I shoot the bigger of the two I’m going to have a taxidermy bill!

IMG_1012.jpeg
IMG_1011.jpegIMG_1010.jpegIMG_1006.jpegIMG_1005.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1003.jpeg
    IMG_1003.jpeg
    715.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Some elk scouting this morning mostly berry picking. Although a person notices things going slow looking for berries vs quick looking for elk. Was glad to see this old rub from last year means they should be around come fall. Lots of Saskatoon berries that was about two hours of picking before I was bored lol

View attachment 283331
View attachment 283332
guessing a saskatoon berry is same as a chokecherry, my fave to pick and make jelly and syrup with.

guessing a saskatoon berry is same as a chokecherry, my fave to pick and make jelly and syrup with.
We still have a bunch of choke cherry jelly left from last year and a half gallon of juice froze in the freezer. Lots again this year but won’t pick any. My fave with Saskatoon is pie

I wonder if pre-rut starts a week or more earlier up north of the border than what we experience here in central Colorado?

Cool pics
In most areas our archery season starts august 25 and they are just starting to call then. Might not be responsive but will sneak in silently

Yup, key the cows.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskeyRiver
Back