Going Soft - RV Advice Needed

Exactly my issue 3 years ago. I bought a Palomino Puma Fifth Wheel ( a division of Forest River) and the price point is what sold me. I understand that its not the best or the most well built but structure can be supported. They are built with weight in mind. I wanted aluminum sided due to hail and other issues with the outside issue with longevity of other materials used. I found this camper and was able to buy new for $23K. Most used (wanted fairly new) in good condition were close to $20k so I bought. So far I put on a receiver hitch to handle the boat / ATV ( bumpers are not stout enough in my opinion... at least not on newer models), reinforced the rear wall as it separated / broke the screws holding the wall together, added suspension lift to accommodate my pickup, added battery shutoff, rear camera, second battery, and had to put a new plug on. It's going to take a little work and maintenance so if that's not what your looking for I would suggest motels. The way I looked at it, I could buy at least 2 of my campers over the next 20 years and still be money ahead as if I bough 1 high end camper and still would want to trade after 10 years or so.
Yep, it sounds like we were looking for a similar setup. I had a hitch put on it, added a battery shut-off, 12v USB chargers, 200W solar panels, and a lift. It's been great.

20190215_120043.jpg

We have been shopping fir years and couldn’t make up our minds. After looking at this model, I am ready to buy. Thanks
Same with us!! Haha. I am about to pull the trigger on one. I just spent the last 8 hours calling dealers throughout the western states. Looks like I’ll be making a road trip in a few weeks -hopefully-

We have been shopping fir years and couldn’t make up our minds. After looking at this model, I am ready to buy. Thanks
After years of owning a Northwood product (21 years and going strong on an Arctic Fox 26X TT). I wouldn't look anywhere else after what I have seen and witnessed in the industry over the last 30 years (don't get me wrong. There are some other very nice builds other than Northwood products). My hunting partner purchased an Outdoor RV TT two years ago and at this current time I am considering a replacement for my old faithful Fox (Outdoor RV and Fox are my only two RV's I am considering at this point). From the prospect of "Money is no object" I would NOT look anywhere else for a rig that you are looking to keep and get your money's worth for years to come. Arctic Fox, Nash, Outdoor RV are all Northwood products and I wouldn't hesitate on either. Yes All manufacturers have lemons (Friday builds) but as far as the gold standard I would put Northwood at the top. Just my .02

I’ve seen a couple of Arctic Fox 22Bs go for around $10k in NW Montana. Just not in a place to buy yet.

I’ve considered this as well.
Not a bad way to go. If you look hard you can find good ones that have been stored away, some even covered. You can add led lighting cheap among other things. I'm not done with mine, but it's budget friendly. mtmuley

Not a bad way to go. If you look hard you can find good ones that have been stored away, some even covered. You can add led lighting cheap among other things. I'm not done with mine, but it's budget friendly. mtmuley
I’ll pick your brain more if I go this route. I wonder if there will be a fire sale of used travel trailers in a few years.

Options are only limited by your imagination or budget. I found that a toyhauler is a great way to camp and still be able to go to more remote areas with the UTV and enjoy the flexibility of camping in a comfortable and accessible spot.

I do have a 33 foot trailer so I have plenty of room for creature comforts, although it is long enough that you need to be good in reverse so you don’t get in a bind. The best thing about it is having the front bedroom for comfort and privacy. We hunt from it with a number of other hunters and it has plenty of beds including 2 bunk beds just right for grandkids.

The other option is a slide in camper that gives you more options to smaller campsites, but the room inside isn’t nearly what you get with a trailer. With the slide in, you can still pull a boat or UTV trailer to get yourself to a lake or back country, depending on where you want to go.

I would recommend getting bigger or nicer than you might first plan, it’s always nice to have the room and accessories...

1A23751E-EBA6-4C4E-A1CA-E90C072B57EB.jpegA1459998-809F-4F23-88F0-4DF82C6BC5BC.jpeg

I’ll pick your brain more if I go this route. I wonder if there will be a fire sale of used travel trailers in a few years.
I was talking to my wife about this the other day. I would think in a year or two and a couple healthy hail storms it’ll be a handyman’s dream. Pick one up for whatever the gap is. That’s what I hope anyway.

For motorhomes, the Ford V-10 engine is an excellent choice. Some of the older motorhomes were equipped with the Ford 460 V-8 that was OK in it's day.

TR

I did not hear that no RV is perfect before I bought mine but man is it a true statement. I too have been a tent camper my entire life but was encouraged by the wife to get a camper this year. I wanted a toy hauler but with Covid, RV lots here were empty and everything was on back order. We snatched up ours, a 33’ Jayco bunkhouse style. Our family of 5 do very well in it even when the kids bring friends. For the most part, we really enjoy it although I think it might be bigger than we need. I bet there will be some really great deals on barely used travel trailers in the next six months after

However, when I take the ATV it takes up the whole bed so the coolers, generator, dogs, etc have to go inside the camper for the trip. It works but is not ideal, I still think I would have gotten a toy hauler if I could have. (Imagine sliding an antelope under an ATV in a truck bed for a 3 hour drive home vs. putting it inside the camper)
I looked a LOT for trailers that had everything I wanted. Couldn’t find that perfect “Goldilocks” unit on the used market. Your tundra could easily you’ll this and for quite a bit less money than a motorhome (and less maintenance) you can order the basic unit an modify to meet you (ever changing) needs. This is a 7.5 ft wide and 14ft long not counting the V nose. It’s all aluminum with torsion axles, 110v power, 12v for fan, lights and charging phones etc. I put in a 12v water pump and use a 5 gal water bottle so pretty limited to just cooking and cleaning up water. I have another system for heated showers in a shower tent that I also carry along. I built the cabinets to fit my needs and I can put a domestic fridge where the cooler sits of I ever need that for longer stays in warmer weather.
It carries all of our “stuff” and it’s also my hunting rig during the season. I wouldnt want to live in it for a full month without some other mods, but it’s great for long weekend getaways. and I had it raised 2in for a little more clearance. 1504E4CA-14D2-49E0-A8C4-1A238EA9F068.jpeg

Attachments

• BD37E679-7624-4165-8975-30B66A3C593F.jpeg
    BD37E679-7624-4165-8975-30B66A3C593F.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
It is also insulated and my mid sized Polaris Ranger just fits. The shelf is mounted with etrack and simply lifts out when I need to load the Polaris.

It is also insulated and my mid sized Polaris Ranger just fits. The shelf is mounted with etrack and simply lifts out when I need to load the Polaris.
That grey material on the right side is the cover for the fold out bed. It’s really fast and easy to deploy and store which makes breaking camp a very simple and easy process.

I haven’t read all the comments but has anyone recommended a FWC? My friend has one and they’re very neat. He takes his truck just about everywhere with that thing on the back. Just have to watch the solar panel going under branches.

Camping sure has changed. mtmuley
In my case, I changed. Pitching a wall tent can wreck me for a day or two now, at least the size of tent that fits a stove and beds and etc. With a trailer, simply the time to get prepped and packed makes it a good decision for us.

Well, I finally got it home! The drive up I-84 out of Idaho and into Oregon was a bit hairy, but we made it. My wife and daughter are pretty darn excited to start putting their personal touches on it, and I am as well. I can't wait to start logging some nights in it.
I have scrolled through some of the prior post looking for ideas for upgrades and customizations. I'd like to know what you guys do to your rigs to make them boondock ready?
IMG_1030.JPG

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back